PORTERHOUSE GIANT 08

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Three pounds two ounces. First very nice fruit from Porterhouse this year. Possibly nicer ones to finish later. Takes one twice this big to turn competitive heads. The rest of us can simply say dad gum that is a nice one. :))

Thumbnail by docgipe
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Dad GUM, that is a nice one!

I know there's nothing on my vines that's gonna be able to top that. I was very proud to get one this year that was just a few ounces shy of two pounds, LOL.. for my garden, that's good! But my tomatoes seem to get a little bigger each year, so I must be doing something right out there. :-) Next year, hopefully I'll have fewer distractions and be able to try a few things...

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Only had to look at the pic to know who'd be posting a dad gum big mater! My cherry tomatos are too big, does that have a category??

It all starts in September here. I dig a two foot or more deep hole. Dump in a five gallon bucket of fresh manure layered with compost, leaves and even more manure if I can get it. Then when the hole is heaping full I plant a cover crop of winter rye. To this all is added about four ounces of black strap molasses to fire up the biology. This will all be finished into a big planting hole full of compost. A little organic 4-2-4 and some kelp meal laced with fish oil makes the planting with a pinch of Mycorrhiza when the plant gets set out. Two to four new leaves indicate it is time to apply the Calcium 25. The stage is now set. Stand back and see what happenes. Thin the big fruit plant to three or four and not more than one from each bloom when the reach golf ball size. The few are the only sinks. If you want to live dangerously go down to one sink per plant. The plant should be at least three feet apart and tied up to a supporting tripod or other structure. I let all the secondaries form but not have any fruit to compete with the selected fruit. There should be at least half a dozen plants so managed to guarentee great results. With plant choice being largely Big Zac, Delicous, and Porterhouse. A few others might do it too but those three are sure to please anyone. I foliar feed kelp and fish about once a month and sometimes side dress with a bit more 4-2-4 mid season. You do this and you will get the big one for sure.

YES........cherry varieties do compete. See the World Book of Facts. Every known type hold some outstanding records.

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

Doc, Yep, that recipe sounds mighty tasty (if you're a tomato). Maybe my volunteer tomato plant is a Porterhouse? The fruits look alot like your picture and it's the healthiest tomato plant I've ever seen. A big one (guessed it to be 1-1/2 pounds maybe) was hidden at the back of the plant behind a morning glory and up against a trellis. We only saw it when it got red and DH had to go under the deck behind the trellis and cut it off the vine while I held my two hands out in front to catch it. Next season when we plant, I'm going to try your recipe. I'm looking forward to news on your giant pumpkin.

Pam

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I'm jealous mine turned out to be the size of tennis balls only. I need that mater for a good sandwich,

Lavina

My pumpkin got mixed up with some fungal problems and is KaPutt. Just wait until next year. :)

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

sorry doc

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

doc,

do you use the same tomato beds every year or do you rotate them? It seems to me with all the goodies you add, diseases don't have a chance, LOL!

I rotate because rotation is one of the healthy soil factors in everyone's book. Makes sense that same plant occupation draws same needs from the soil every year. This is even more important on the deep and heavy feeders. The basics always include crop rotation. That is sometimes hard for small patch situations but elimination of crop is just as good as crop rotation. Fortunately most flowers that need to stay in the same location long term are designed by nature to be very skimpy eaters and can survive nicely for years in a bed.

Pumpkins are heavy feeders......down right hogs they are. I was five years pumpkins on pumpkins and just paid the ultimate price in spite of excellent soil structure and good practices otherwise. . At this hour it appears that my age and practices have indicated that I may not grow pumpkins again in my lifetime of gardening which is no doubt short to go anyway one would look at my situation.

I could of course sign off my happy marriage and start digging up the lawn seeking new ground. Nope....I just have reached the point where things need to be cut off not extended. Six onions along the patio edges sounds pretty good today. Weekly visits to the farmer's market in season looks better and better to me.

Bedford, VA(Zone 7a)

I love Big Zac's, how are the other two in taste? I planted Martians this year and didn't like them, not enough tomato flavor and the skins were tough and kept cracking, even though I watered religiously.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Gorgeous tomato Doc! Let us know how it tastes and what you make with it.

Well now.........we ate the sucker right down to the picture image you saw. All that I grow are good eaters. Seems all the big ones are somehow related to the original beefsteaks.

Take these three and add Box Car Willy plus Brandywine and I need know no others except for an early variety or two none of which come up to the later matters.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK! Next year, you must also try 'Potato Top'. It may not be quite as huge (at least not in my garden -- can't wait to see it in yours), but it's my best pink for fabulous flavor and reliable productivity. (Yes, I'll be saving seeds again.)

Central, VA(Zone 7b)

docgipe, Say it aint soooo! No more pumpkins. Well, if you can grow maters that are the size of most gardeners' pumpkins that has to be a consolation. Since we had two days of welcome rain a week ago, my maturing tomatos have split and someone wee and close to the ground is eating just the part of the fruit facing the garden. I can't wait to try others now that I saw what can grow here. Critter's friendship basil and mater sandwiches for everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.