plant swap

Snohomish, WA

I was wondering if anyone would like to do a plant swap at my house this fall? I would greatly appreciate input people have about how the nursery should be set up, and would like to share some of the plants.I know the Green Elephant swap is in Oct, so don't want to do it too soon to that. Kathy had suggested the 20th of Sept. Just curious if there is any intrest to doing one. I will have plants from Dragonfly by then too I think. It would be nice to see everyone too!!

Thumbnail by NWGordon
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi Gordon -

You know I'm in!! The 20th works great for me.

Mountlake Terrace, WA(Zone 8a)

It would be a real long time reunion for me. I would love to come and cause you all to wonder why the heck did I bring that? Or is he going to bring more C. 'Lucifer'? Yes, and they will be IDed by the stalk they are growing on this time.

But I am looking for some cold and wet hardy cactus starts. Yes, I am succumbing. I have a perfect spot for them. My preference is for barrel cacti, not prickly pears.

Snohomish, WA

I'll be on the lookout Rob! Been good lately? Seems like forever since I've seen you and the others!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey Gordon, Wish I knew this before I put in my last Vac. for the year which starts on the 29th of Aug. could of change it. But O'well What is, Is what is . LOL
Don't know if I can make it, but I may have some plants for you to swap for me, If someone can pick them up at the store, won't know what I have till the 9th. Have a Dger coming over to help me Cull the herd so to speak.

What have you decided on the Kiwi?

Tills

Everett, WA(Zone 7b)

I would be up for it! Hopefully I could dig up enough interesting stuff by then... :) Snohomish is only a hop-skip-jump away!

Here is the bed I made with my loot from the Newcastle swap back in the spring!

Thumbnail by catgal77
Everett, WA(Zone 7b)

And here's a few more items from that swap... I got an awesome load... now I just need to lay them all out better!

Thumbnail by catgal77
Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Cat - it's all about repositioning & going crazy. Well, until you get more & gee, wouldn't that look great next to the .......?

Gordon - the 20th is a go for me. I will have some things to bring if the weather is cooperative. Need more sun & warm weather...

Anxious to see what you've done & what's next!

Port Angeles, WA(Zone 8b)

Dang. I'd love to be there but, as usual, will not be able to. It's our dog training weekend and we're hosting. Have to lay trails on the 20th. *sigh* But definitely, one way or another, will make the Fall swap in Redmond. . .

The 20th sounds good to me, too. I'll have a lot to give away by then. I need to 'cullk the herd' , as tills says, and I'd like to see your place.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I've been hoping someone would do a swap. I'll try to make it or at least try to send some things up that way. I'd love to see Gordon's garden and see everyone, too.

Snohomish, WA

Yeah! I'm glad people are going to come! I'll have some irises and some cannas, seed pods galore and some cuttings plus other divisions out of the yard. A few big things, like my giant delphinium, that could easily be divided int to four, plus all the roses, well all three!

Thumbnail by NWGordon
Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Gordon, I'll be there, I can't wait to see you garden, Jim

what time?

Snohomish, WA

Oh, I guess fron 10am till 2pm? It's ok if you show up earlier or stay later.Dmail me for the address, but super easy to find. I live on SR 9 betwwen Snohomish and Woodinville.

Sounds great! I'll be bringing lots of things that need new homes, and taking home very little I hope. People need to let me know if there is something they want from my garden.

Gordon, here are pics of that variegated elder I told you about. If you want cuttings let me know and I'll stick some in the rooting medium now.

Thumbnail by

Here's another one. Some branches have more yellow on them. This is a very old tree so there is no cultivar name. Our house was built in 1964 and my guess is that it is at least as old as the house.

Thumbnail by
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Hmmmmmm . . . If I have myself more or less together at that time, I may come for the social side of it. I need to save my plants for a plant sale next spring as my finances are a bit tough since Steve passed away. But I want to meet those of you I haven't met as yet and see my "old friends."

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Carol - it would be great if you could make it!!

I'm thinking I will have plenty of 'donations' to the plant sale effort, Carole. I'm not kidding when I say I have to thin things out. Plants don't get any smaller. Today I dug out two nice sized divisions of Phlox 'David'. I hope you can make it.

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Hey, Melissa -

Do you have any Hydrangea aspera - I think this is what my neighbor has - the leaves are awesome!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/31/garden/31cutt.html

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Carole, I'd love to send some things home for your sale, too-or leave them with Gordon to help start his nursery with.

I know I've got daylilies, irises and other stuff, including some small divisions of things. I don't really want to come home with much, either. I've been given so many great plants from everyone over the last year that I kind of feel like I really don't need much of anything. Does anyone want any shrubs? Gordon, is there anything that you're looking for?

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Melissa, I'll take some cutting of that Elderberry, thanks, Jim

Kathy, I have two different H. aspera. I'll either bring cuttings or a rooted branch. I'm not sure what's out there with roots yet but I'll check this weekend.
Jim, no problem. I've got you down for them.

Snohomish, WA

If anyone belongs to GW you can post it there also, the more the merrier! I just dug up and divided over 100 irises, so there will be LOTS of those, all from Walster way iris, just no way to know what color it is till it blooms.

Marysville, WA(Zone 8a)

Gordon I see a purple Datura in there, do you grow Brugmansia as well (I'm a collector)?
I'm going to try to be there.
- Tom

Moscow, ID(Zone 5a)

Tom - the Daturas & Brugs grow easily from seed, but the weather definately slowed down their progress. I have 1 extra Datura (Black Currant Swirl) & a Brug (white) - do you want them for overwintering? I can bring them potted for you, or whoever else might like them.

Someone on DG asked me for some of my tall euphorbia with the orange blooms. I think it's called 'great dixter' or something on that order. Anyone on this thread?

Snohomish, WA

I do have a few brugs and a few daturas.The brugs will need some cutting soon, and those can be easily rooted in a pot and some rooting hormone.Datura is an annual that will have to set seed pods to get seeds for next year. But they are froming as well. I hope there is stuff ready for splitting by then. But we can always hook up at the GE swap in Oct too!

Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Tom!! Every time I see a Brug picture I think of you. Any pictures of your Brug Garden this year? I finally saw/smelled one in full bloom. I get it now. What heavenly fragrance. And yet persistent, too; very substantial. It will be good to see you at the swap.

Marysville, WA(Zone 8a)

Katye, thanks, but I'm actually trying to reduce my stock a little. I think I'll have a couple to trade. I'm hoping I can get some interesting or different garden perrenials or tropicals in return.
Gordon are you ready for more? :^)
Katie I've been focused on the remodel this summer and haven't taken good enough care to get massive blooms. Here's one from last year of a brug I grow for the leaves instead of the blooms:

Thumbnail by grrrnthumb
Snohomish, WA

I'm always ready for more. And I have different tropicals you might like. Be good to see you again. Bring all you don't want of the brugs! LOL

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Not me

I have a couple little Daturas growing from Gordon's stash. But I do have seeds setting on C. 'Lucifer' that I can sprinkle like fairy dust at the swap. I also have plenty Dark Eyed Susans Rf 'Goldsturm', Coreopsis 'Moonbeam', Kniphofia pfitzeri, Phlox diffusa for a start. Just let me know if you all want any as I wont be digging these for the swap in the fall unless requested.

I recall some one at the Spring GE talking about the yellow bleeding heart. I have a plant which is not D. scandens, but is similar to D. spectabilis with yellow flowers growing in my garden with the D spectabilis and has been flowering all summer happily. I am wondering what it is, and if anyone wants it, just tug on my cape.

If any one wants a Agave seedling that can be up for grabs. I thought it was an Aloe when I bought it. If anyone is interested in Ceropegia woodii (string of hearts, rosary plant), Sedum morganium (burro's tail), Senecio herrianus (string of pearls) I can bring some cuttings as I have plenty of those. The Senecio has the most beautiful little flowers, they remind me of Hoya flowers, but are not exactly like Hoya flowers. I also have a ton of Sansevieria trifaciata cuttings from an orphan pot I tried to bring back. I finally just seperated them, and cut them back for their survival.

I am glad to be a halfway house or foster parent to lost and lonely succulents. I have moved on several that I got from the Newcastle swap.

Tom, I would love some Epi cuttings.

Enough said.

Rob, I'd be interested in some of the yellow flowered plant that looks like D. spectabilis. What can I offer you? cuttings from my epiphyllum? I am also thinning out my collection of succulents. Are you interested in all succulents or only certain kinds?

I like Epis and their kin, dependable flowering cacti: Lobivia, Gymnocalycium, Rebutia, Sulcorebutia, PNW winter hardy cacti. Other succulents: Crassula family, Aloe family, Mesembs, Sanseveria, Haemanthus, Hoya, Stapelia and kin, for a good start.

But seriously, if it is not heavily spined and not Euphorbia, I probably want it. If you gave me a list of what you want to move out of, I will gladly high grade it. :-)

As to that plant that superficially looks like D. spectibilis with yellow flowers, I have attached a picture that should be good enough to ID it. I don't want to trade an invasive or evil plant. I am just pretty sure I bought it about 5 years ago and forgot what it was.

Thumbnail by AnalogDog
Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Isn't it one of the corydalis - possibly lutea

Exactly so, Laurie. Corydalis lutea. I'd be glad to have some. It naturalizes very nicely.
Rob, I likely don't have the names of all of them. I'll just bring what I have and you can take whatever pleases you and leave the rest. You don't like heavily spined? hmm. I do have a lot of spiny ones as I do like heavily spined, but I have others as well.

Yep. That's it. When you were posting Pixy, I was PFing it. I will bring some for you.

I stay away from Euphorbias and heavily spined plants for my son and dogs. When I get my greenhouse, I will probably take up spiny plants. I just know too many people that have been in hospitals due to Euphorbias.

As to the plants, thank you. I will bring some tags to see what I can do with names for those I don't take.

Sounds great, Rob. Will do. I'll include whatever names I have.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.