cherry tree

(Judi)Portland, OR

I have space for one cherry tree. I love the spring blossoms but I also want the fruit. I am confused about the whole pollination thing - will a lone cherry tree bear blossoms and fruit? Does it need a mate???

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

It depends on the variety. Do you want sour cherries or sweet cherries?

(Judi)Portland, OR

I will take either sour or sweet - which ever has the best blossoms. I love the pink ones. What would you suggest?

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

I would say it depends on which kind you like to eat!

Since you are in Portland, I suggest you go here http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=Cherries%2DTart

http://www.raintreenursery.com/catalog/producttype.cfm?producttype=Cherries%2DSweet

and look at what they have to offer.

Note that the sour cherries are self-fertile, but only a few of the sweets ones are. Stella is one self-fertile sweet cherry.

Note that standard sweet cherry trees can grow VERY tall, but dwarf varieties are available.

Baltimore, MD

Sweetheart seems to be the most highly praised self-fertile cherry these days. I don't have it but I do have a Black Gold and it is also very good. Tehranivee is another good one to look into.

All of the eating cherries seem to have white blossoms, at least all the ones I have ever seen. If you are set on pink blossoms I would get a peach such as Red Baron instead - it has double pink blossoms which are very ornamental plus delicious peaches.

Scott

(Judi)Portland, OR

Ahhh---I never considered a peach. Maybe that is what I want! Thanks.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Nowadays there are sweet cherries that are self fertile. Stella is a good sweet, self fertile one, and Lapins is wonderful -- like a Bing but self fertile. The cherry trees with the big fluffy flowers as in Washington, DC and Tokyo are ornamental ones and do not produce cherries. But their blossoms are incredible. Peaches and almonds have pink flowers but not as ornamental as the ornamental cherries. Peaches usually don't need a polinator, but I am not sure if all are self fertile.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.