She's About to....... #12

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

Peg I love your new brug bed! that is going to be awesome! You can leave them in there year round?

(Kim) Philadelphi, PA(Zone 6a)

Peg they will be fine! Funeee about the bottom sticking up :o)

Midwest City, OK(Zone 7b)

Louise, that's an iff. I have been told by several people that I can leave them out with heavy mulch, but they may not get as big as they would if they were brought inside. I have only had brugs for 4 months, so I'm still learning, boy, am I learning. I've got a nice two-seat bistro set out there and will eventually fill the whole area in with flowers/hostas, but right now after all of the rain, I am not posting pictures of the whole area. Too many weeds. LOL! I just hope the brugs will get big enough to hide my neighbor's broke fence. Bless his heart, he is 90 and just really does not care anymore. But he keeps his yard nicely mowed and clean, so it could be a lot worse!

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Oh Peg so pretty, love the burg bed and plant markers with name I’ll bet. So jealous over here. Are you digging them up in the fall or hacking them off to grow roots for the winter. I need to a least get some tags on my pots. The original labels are almost unreadable now.

AuntB Versi peach is an incredible tree, so big, how are you ever going to get her down the stairs. Love the little birds and bird house too.

I decided to be good and stay home for the day, with the walk onto the beach and carrying the stuff, well it would be hard and more than I should be doing today. Besides the fact that the back of the SUV is loaded with Potting soil.

Donna, Glad you decided to be good, at least for one day. You just reminded me that I have two big bags of potting soil in my trunk! Been in there for a week. Oh, grief... The markers I ordered on the Eon coop, and DH spraypainted them for me while his hand was in a cast. I put clear labels on them with the computer, so I think it looks pretty neat!

Right now, I am planning on leaving them in ground and trying to root off of each of them just in case. But me and brug rootings so far have not been a good idea. I'm still going to keep trying, though.

Here's the only marker picture that I have right now on this computer.

Thumbnail by merpeg
South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

I really like those markers, what a nice idea. White Christmas is a beautiful Hosta, I love the ones with lots of white in the center of the leaves. I haven’t tried any cutting yet but will in the fall. I have great fears about my burgs in the basement and will cut some parts off to root just incase. Next year if I do well, I’m putting some in the ground. I want to try and grow a really large one.

Go for it Donna! I put mines in the ground and they love it : ) I will make giant cuttings and put them in a bucket for winter.

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

I will be doing some of the same Kim. My basement is ¾ above ground so it gets cold down there and I have no way to heat it. Some of my burgs have 2 to 3 storks/trunks so right now I’m planning to lobe off all but one and put them in a bucket. The medium size guys are getting hair cuts and the tiny ones are staying upstairs in the den. I was considering bringing them all in there but am afraid of the dogs chewing on the ones that would have to sit on the floor. I have really dumb dogs that will eat anything lol. Not to mention that to the male a tree is a tree inside or out.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Donna I wondered about getting all the gear down there... just relax and enjoy your yard. It sure brings tranquility to me.. Peggy Peggy, thanks for catching us up with you!! I'm so glad you're hours changed! Your bed will be wonderful, those brugs will shade the hosta so nicely... and if you're needing more brug cuttings for something to do this winter, dear you know I can hook you up again and cutting time will be here before we know it.. I might have a couple rooted, if you want a head start. Those are some very nice markers, too. You are SO organized, Lady!....Donna, it's always "interesting" how I get those big girls in... Almost all my brugs get a lot of leaves removed and sometimes limbs trimmed, I try to keep as much top growth as possible, but Maya and Versi might get a trimming this year.. Versi JUST fit last year, so I'm not too hopeful on her, but will do the best I can... next spring she gets a root trimming, and new soil so we'll see how she does. Last fall I kept a cutting, it's rooted and about 3-4 ft tall now, for a back up. Luckily SO lucky, my basement has a walk out garage on the east end, so we just load em in the trailer, bring them from the back down the hill in the front yard and to the garage door... the interesting part comes when we lug them to the west end of the basement and fit everything in... this year, could get wild with all my additions, so I might have to post a plea for help cause they won't all fit..but one of my motto's is "if it doesn't fit...make it fit".. we'll see.. lol

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Donna, funny bout the dogs and trees.. bet they'd think you're great bringing trees inside for them! lol Your brugs will do fine in the cool basement.. just so it doesn't freeze.. can you run a cord from upstairs for a little space heater when temps drop to 10 or so outside?

(Phyllis) Osceola, PA(Zone 5b)

I have a wood furnance in my basement so it never gets cold...
I usually put the Brugs upstairs in a spare room in front of a window...
Which do you think will be better for them??

Donna I have to run a space heater in my sunroom in the winter. No heat out there and the floor is not insulated yet. It is built on a deck. We do have plans to do that, but things always need doing first lol. Bonnie, I just cram em all in there and rearrange as I go. It is quite a jungle! This year I have plans to take some to the new shop. Especially the elephant ears which are enormous this year!

here are just some of the inmates early this spring

Thumbnail by lavender4ever
(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

AuntB...I posted on the brug forum under OT Meet Liberty Prancers...LOL...

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Oh thinking ahead and trying to come up with the best possible solution. Getting them down is easy, even this year will not pose a big problem for me. Just have to impose on very good natured but not a plant lover DSIL. My basement is a walk out so we just have to load them into the back of the SUV and drive them down, back it up the slope and we can get pretty close to the door. I’ll use either a hand truck or furniture dollies to move heavy pots around. The cold is another thing, gets pretty cold in the winter and the doggie door has to stay open all day. I’ve tried a space heater and it does nothing but cost fortune to run. I’m planning (we’ll see how this goes) to move everything away from the in ground wall and put them there, then build a wall with full storage bins to help against the draft. This will be my one and only try, if they die it will be a bucket of water with a bubbler after that.

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

That’s a great jungle, I wouldn’t mind it if I had a room like that.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Oh Louise, it's your room looks great! I'd keep them there if it works for you. I have big philos and palms I keep at work. I think IF I'm still driving in this winter I'll take my big begonias to winter over there. With the price of gas to drive and heat my house, I'm HOPING I get to work from home, it would sure help my budget. I'm keeping some hibiscus upstairs this year, smaller growing ones that bloom year round, it sure brightens up my attitude to have some winter blooms. So I suppose I'd find a place up here for the begonia's, too, but I think they wouldn't mind the cooler temps in the basement. I'm hanging visqueen (plastic) to contain the space heater heat in the plant area (when I have to run it) in hopes to keep it around 60 instead of 50 like last winter. Phyllis, I have a wood stove down there, but I just can't do wood anymore, I like wood heat too, it's just too much for me contend with. I used to man handle it, though, wedge and sledge and even ran a small chain saw before.. too ah, "mature" now lol. I do have some wood and plan to prep the stove for winter in case of ice and power failure like last year.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

I got some new Moonlight Caladiums this year, planted them in 2 begonia pots, put them out by the hostas'.. I really like how they brighten up a dark corner..

Thumbnail by AuntB
Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

Hi all you hotties...
Bought two big plastic tubs with the handles on them to start transplanting. The color is like a soft green color, not too bad and the price is cheap compared to "real" pots.

AuntB, pretty pictures as usual. Everything just looks so nice.

Posy, the brug seeds I have I didn't cross someone was kind enough to give them to me. Agree with everyone it sounds like a good winter project.

DH got the concrete poured around the front of the garden room and today we bought the stuff to do the ceiling. Get the ceiling in, then cabinets, and I am ready to play this winter.

Love the jungle room, we all need to be surrounded by plants in the winter. I tell everyone at work I am solar powered and about a week of gray skies just does me in...least if I have the plants it helps my little psychie.

collecting seeds today! It's that time. If anyone has hardy hib seeds I would love some. I have southern belle and pink clouds. Anyone want southern belle? Five foot tall. I am also going to have two colors of black eyed susan vine.

here is another winter picture in the sunroom. Sunroom still is not done yet. still needs the new windows and trim and painting.

Thumbnail by lavender4ever
South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Louise you got some gorgeous plants in that room. I will have tons of H Hib seeds but most will be southern bell also. I do have a cranberry one and a white with pink center that are a lot shorter but I don’t know the names. No pods ready yet but there will be plenty to go around if anyone wants some.

Joyce, soft green sounds nice, I got yucky blue but the price was right.

Oh AuntB, to work from home, a dream of mine. I really could use the gas saving too.

Spent some time tonight clearing out pots that were about done for the season. Now it’s time to clean up me. My biggest bud is starting to get some shape so I’m thinking tomorrow or by Monday I’ll have my first burg bloom of the year.

Hey hotties,
I'm in the middle of cooking dinner, marinated steaks, wilted spinach salad and homemade twice baked potatoes. Dh tells me the "coals are not ready yet." I love it when these guys decide they are cooking, when we have done all the work.

To everyone who dreams of working at home, I do. (Sorry!) It is very nice, but it is very hard to stay focused on work when you can see laundry that needs to be done or you want to run out and check on a brug :)) Or get on DG and talk. But I get paid by how much I produce, so I have to be disciplined, even more than I would in an office environment. But the gas savings and not having to dress up every day are wonderful. I go to work in my robe, but change as soon as the sun comes up to shorts and T-shirt or winter time sweats. I hope you that want to work from home will get the opportunity, but it is a different world. I had to go back to work for a meeting this week, suit, hose and heels. The heels about killed me. I love working from home, financially and everywise, but that is why I talk so much on here! I am isolated from coworkers. I miss seeing people every day. We e-mail but it is not the same. So good sides and down sides. Sometimes, working from home can get very lonely. You miss people.

Okay, "the coals are ready." I guess we will eat tonight. Lov ya, Peg

Sounds Yummy Peg!

Nassau County, NY(Zone 7a)

hey hotties, sitting here for a while and have not posted, saying hello though, almost time to say zz zz

Jamaican Yellow

Thumbnail by Clemen
(Becky) Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Hey girlies...
I have been down nearly all day with the puter.. was yesterday too!! ATT said it was the phone line.. even had them out.. maybe it's fixed now.. but as usual..LOL Now I am even further behind...

Peg.. I have to plant mine in the ground too.. Your looks soo good.. and can you imagine the fragrance.. when they get all big and tall?? My MIL in TN has a white one in the ground, and it always comes back, and blooms!

here ya'll are talking about moving brugs to the basements.. and I have a funny feeling it will be here before we know it.. I sure hope we don't have a bad winter.. everything else has been off soo bad this year..hmmmm

Pretty pics!! Louise.. I'd love to see your whole yard.. everything you have shown us is beautiful!!

Nite girlies.. sweet dreams!!

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

Becky, My work computers were down this week too...due to AT& T problem.... but ours was nationwide! ugh!

Athens, PA(Zone 5b)

Hi all you hotties, I'm here,busy reading this wonderful thread. I am a slow boat to china trying to keep up with all of you. My, what a fun thread this is☺now I have to go back and re read a number of these posts again☺then go take a shower,go to the store,finish mowing the lawn,weed,clean the waterfall and pond pump, and finally get the Natal Plum seeds planted that Lily_love sent me.

AuntB, Cille, that brought a bunch of memories back. I used to baby sit twins when I was about 16yrs. old and they could not talk very well so they called me Cille.

The pics everyone is posting here are awesome and I am getting really hungry reading what is on the menu,yum,yum......now I must get a shower and get goin before the day slips away☺

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Morning Hotties,
Peg, the grass is always greener in someone else’s yard. After reading your post I realized sometimes in the winter weeks go by and the only human contact I have is from my coworkers. Yes, I can see it could get very lonely and boring working at home. Just like work travel, I always thought it would be wonderful until I had to go between RI and IL for a year, it got old really fast and I began to dread it. Now I’m very content with no work traveling.

Becky, so envious here, would love to be able to put the burgs in the ground. Weather here this year is very different from last. Last season I was complaining about the heat in the evenings all the way until Oct. I was planting hundreds of clearances items and it was so hot and dry.

Hi Anjl, glad you got back on. Life without and internet connection can be so frustrating these days.

Lu, good luck with your day, sounds like you’re packed with plans. Hope all goes well.

Clem, so pretty Jamacan Yellow. GREEN EYED MONSTER here, need my bloom to open perk me up.

Beautiful day here today, I’m forced to lay around so I will enjoy it.

Morn, Hotties.
Did you guys see the post of the brug Bad Angel. It sure is pretty.
Still dividing iris.....have tons....I will miss the blooms next year until they get established again.
I got the green pots at Home Depot, need to pick up several more. Wish pots weren't so expensive. I don't see any reason for the plastic flower pots to cost so much ....whine whine whine....LOL
I am on way out to play and then my GD has her second birthday party this afternoon.
Later everone.
I have noticed my southern bell hib is the only hib I have that is putting on seed heads and it is putting on tons!

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Hottie, Questions of the morning, Chicken gizzards Sun or Shade? Any known plants that should not have the recipe snack shower? Do burgs like eggs; I have an expired dozen in the fridge, not to old but past prime. Are they good for the burgs just cracked raw and watered in?

Morning Joyce, I have been scouring RI looking for clearances on lg pots and this year nothing has been in the markdowns. Large containers and pots are ridiculously expensive. A very happy birthday wish for your GD, hope you all have a wonderful time.

Those decorative plastic pots shouldn't be any more expensive or maybe just a tad more than the big plastic buckets with the rope handles that we are buying. Lets see 6.00 versus 75.00 and above....

I have my Chicken Gizzard in the shade. It might get a very little bit of sun early in the morning.

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

I agree about the pots, I have such a hard time drilling hole in thick plastic.
TY for the CG answer, I repotted my pieces and wasn't sure where to place them.

Good Morning Hotties!! Happy Birthday wishes to your GD Joyce! Donna could you tell more about the egg thing???.. I never heard of it.

(Becky) Colmesneil, TX(Zone 8b)

Mornin Hottie.. sis's...

anjl... I have ATT too.. Fri. and Sat... I spent at least 2 hours each day.. and most of it was asking and REASKING them to repeat themselves, cause I couldn't understand them!! Talking about be upset....!! I am about to change back to netzero.. at least I'd save 6$ a month, and that will buy a plant..LOL.. OH.. and the ATT phone guy told me we will NEVER get DSL here in our lifetime...I guess I'll have to tell myself.. dial up is the best thing since sliced bread.. humph..!!..LOL

Donna.. isn't that the truth... "the grass is always greener in someone else's yard.".LOL... and always.. they will have at least ONE plant we can't live without???.. I hear you about working from home... I don't work.. but we are soo in the country, that we don't see people very often.

Joyce.. pots are way overpriced.. but they know our addiction to them will override the crazy prices they put on them.. I just try to stay away.. and don't even look at the ones I know will be expensive..hehe... HB to your lil GB... 2yrs. old... how sweet!!

Kim.. I know you have plenty pics to show us!! I finally got my pics downloaded to Picasa last night.. now I have to learn how to get them from there to here!!

The price of pots is ridiculous. I like to buy mine clearance end of season. Otherwise I buy the green ones from walmart too.

WTG Becky!! I love looking at pics : ) so I can drool over plants I don't have LOL!! Picasa sounds pretty good.

South Coast, RI(Zone 6b)

Well Kim, I’m not sure if they would be good for the Burgs. Someone’s mother told me a long time ago to crack and egg and put it shell and all in the hole when planting Rose bushes. I always do, not sure if it does any good. Cleaning out the fridge here yesterday and found the eggs that expired last weekend and figured well I’ll ask and see if anyone uses them on Burgs.

Hey those green pots look great when spray painted!!! Cheap makeover : )

Very interesting Donna! I use a lot of eggs baking so I put the crushed shells in the garden for slugs..works sometimes.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.