hydrangea blooms

West Branch, IA(Zone 5a)

I have 2 young PG hydrangea trees.They are young enough that the weight of the huge blooms causes the blooms to almost touch the ground. It makes them look bedraggled. Is there a way to prune so that next year the blooms would be smaller. I thought you weren't supposed to prune off these blooms, but it is tempting!! Wrenie

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Veronica..any tips for drying Hydrangea flowers..I just cut some from a plant where I work and have them hanging upside down in the basement..what next?
Thanks for any help

Cordova, MD

That's it, Starrz! After they are toally dry, spray them lightly with hairspray to prevent them from losing their color so much. It also gives them a little bit of protection. You can also use a "florist sprya" for the same effect, but why spend the extra money when hair spray does the same thing!
-JSS

Newcastle, ON(Zone 5a)

Jss..thanks so much..how long should I wait till they will be dry..a couple of weeks perhaps?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Starzz - ditto the above. There are two other ways that I use. The first is to put just a little water in the bottom of a vase and insert the hydragea stems. Just leave them there until they are dry. I put mine in any room. The water will evaporate but that's the idea. The other method for me is to place them in a dark closet under the stairs. There is a closet maid shelf in there and I just push the hydrangea stems through the slots in the shelf. The blooms sit on top of the shelf and are very well supported. I do roses the same way!

If your hydrangea is still so young, perhaps it'd be a good idea to support it with a double peony ring. I dry my hydrangeas by simply letting them hang upside down & they can even be wired right after they are cut onto a wreath & allowed to dry hanging right up on your wall with no problem. Every year I cut & dry mine & then buy treated magnolia leaves (all leathery the way they dry them). I head to the woods & choose a few random branches with many stems. I use florist tape & attach the dried hydrangeas & purchased leaves to the branch to make a natural looking 'fake' hydrangea branch. Then I tie on a lovely ribbon & give them to friends to either lie atop a dressing table or to stick in a vase. They're always a big hit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.