Come on lets go around back, Another Project!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I had been looking at these canvas toped gazebos for a couple of years now and last year my parents bought me one as a gift. It has been a really wonderful addition to my back yard. My house is passive solar and there is a pool in the back so I have planted very little in the way of natural shade.
The inspiration for this project came from this thread of early_bloomer’s, from a few years ago. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/647244/
I wasn’t quite sure exactly where I wanted it so I had Ric put up the frame and then we moved it around the yard a little so I could “try on” a few spots.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I decided to set it in at a diagonal to the existing raised brick and RRtie patio. It gave me some structure to base several different flower beds around. First Ric secured it to a RRtie foundation and put up the canvas top. A brick floor will come later.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

These 2 small flower beds were wrapped around the corners. Later they will be larger and on all 4 corners.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Some potted plants added inside and the beginnings of a little haven has been started. I spent quite a few mornings last summer sitting out there with my morning paper and snack, watching the hummers and other birds at the feeders. It also provided a nice shady spot for my parents and friends to sit near the pool and watch the children swim.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This year we have added a few more plants to the little corner beds and some of the houseplants are taking their summer vacation in the corners of the Gazebo. My passion flower is happily climbing up one corner, some ferns, jasmine and a large coleus pot just to name a few. Ric added a bench swing (it’s a trash to treasure project) that sits nearby for some extra seating.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Another small flower bed has been started nearby as well with the hummer feeder, Crepe Myrtle, sedum, and a few annuals. This will expand in future years also.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice! I need something like that in my backyard we have almost zero shade.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

A couple months ago we found the used brick we have been looking for. Now that the other bigger projects are done it’s time lay the floor. Ric took out all the sod and then Josh helped unload the stone.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Jen, It is just wonderful, you would be surprised how much of a difference this makes. Make sure you check out the link I posted of early_bloomer’s, hers is just gorgeous

Tamp that down and top it off with a layer of packed sand and start designing your brick pattern.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Looking pretty good, but not quite finished yet.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Putting in the brick floor has made such a difference I can hardly wait for the next part of the project. It will most likely get done next spring but you never know with some good weather it might get done yet this fall.
You will step down to ground level where another brick and RRtie floor 2 to 3ft wide will run all the way around the existing edge. The little wrap around flowerbeds on the corners will be enlarged and set at all 4 corners. A walkway from the raised patio will lead out to the Gazebo. That will all be dug down level with the ground. Which is a lot of hard work now but will make mowing much easier later.
Well that is all for now.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This looks great, Holly. What wonderful guys you have!!!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

jen- if you can afford it now, run out and see if one's on clearance

quote holly-"These 2 small flower beds were wrapped around the corners. Later they will be larger and on all 4 corners. "
Then they will connect to the house, Then they will wrap aroyund that. Finally the whole yard will be garden, with small paths thru it if we're lucky"

Holly you're a lucky gal! but as L'Oreal says, youre worth it.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Sally, That's so nice.
Yes you are right about the flower bed progression. The only thing that is keeping this part of my yard so open and grassy is that the pond and greenhouse aren't in place yet. As soon as those two big projects are in place pretty much everything in this area will be flower beds except for a small grassy spot between the raised patio and the gazebo.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Holly, That's what I like, a woman with VISION!!!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Holly, what a pleasant and inviting Gazebo, hope your guests have enjoyed it :) What a year for your "projects"!!! Everything you and Ric have accomplished this year is amazing and I'll be looking forward to the 'greenhouse project' :)

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Whew............what's popping up next. We need a few imaginary blue ribbons hung on the summer's projects. Kudos!!!!!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks everybody, It really has been a very busy and productive summer. This was Ric's first summer in retirement and he told everyone that he may go back to work "It's easier". LOL

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Oh! That explains it. I wondered how in the world so much could go on otherwise. Enjoy for the joys of today. You are sure leaving it better than you found it. One way or another that was my goal and remains so but much slower as a matter of aging facts.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh Doc, Yes I retired a year ago March but had shoulder surgery right after I retired so not too much got done last summer. Then Ric followed me last August. He has been retired almost a year now. We really have been playing catch up since the years before we retired were very busy with a lot of extra hours and different shifts. Both of us picked up part-time seasonal jobs last winter but we had free reign this summer.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
he told everyone that he may go back to work "It's easier".

LOL, that's exactly what Rick said after our "gardening vacation" - he couldn't wait to go back to "work"! It sure will be nice though when one of these days we'll have an opportunity to slow down and enjoy the fruits of our labor :)

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

It's MY turn to retire at the end of this year. Whoopie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holly, beautiful job on your gazebo. I just LOVE it. Now when are you gonna have a RU there for the mid-atlantic folks & anybody else in the area? BTW, we're not doing that craft show in Ephrata tomorrow. Too much wind & rain, so I'll be at the greenhouse meeting.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I have more pics of my Gazebo to post so I dug up this old thread. We started the Gazebo in 2007 setting it up then in 2008 we found used bricks at a good price and added the first part of the brick floor. Then in the beginning of last summer Ric started to work on it again. He got a good start and laid out the marker lines and had Jamie over to help unload the RRties.

This message was edited May 28, 2010 6:59 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Then he had a severe hand injury that pretty much put a stop to all projects for the summer. So it just sat there waiting.

This message was edited May 28, 2010 7:03 AM

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

This spring Ric started back working on it again. First thing off he hit a huge rock right were one of the ties needed to sit. He started working on it with the digging iron and then got out the hammer and chisel and started working the rock edge down just far enough to level the tie.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

With the rain and all he was getting hard pressed to get it finished before the party we were having for our daughter. So Josh came over to help. Between the two of them they pretty much finished it up.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't have a very good pic right now of the finished dressed up Gazebo but I will post one later for you to see. It looked really good for the party. I sat a few house plants around it and planted a couple of Blushing Susies to grow up the trellis corners and planted 4 big EE's one in each corner. Not sure what else I will plant later but it is a start.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Looks great!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Hey Holly,
You have any more of those tree frogs? The one I got from you is still here and needs some friends. Thanks, Judy Showers p.s. have fun tomorrow.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

HollyAnn and Ric, what a wonderful portral of nothing, to something spectacular! You really have a beautiful gazebo!

Ric, I would have cussed when I hit the rock and cried when I found out how big it was. You did an exellent job!! Enjoy it!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Judy we have several hanging out in the box pond.
Billyporter, Thanks it has made a big difference for our sunny yard and really gets alot of use.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I can't curse the rocks too much, I like to build things with them also. LOL Ric

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Ric,I think it would be a blessing and a curse. I'd love to be able to dig up nice rocks, just not everythere or all the time. LOL! There's a guy in Minnesota and he has really nice rocks. I get tiny one's out of the garden, LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.