Peach Tree recommenation - Upstate NY, z 5

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Hello - I'm back after a long hiatus away from this site.

I'd love to get a recommendation for a peach tree that would do well in upstate NY. I have about a 50 X 150 lot - and would like to get 1 self-pollinating fruit tree.

Would someone share recommendations on varieties - I'd love sweet, very juicy freestone. I remember as a child picking the peaches off the tree when I came home from school and eating it right on the spot, juice dribbling down my face - would like to do the same for my young daughter.

Any other suggestions - including nurseries, planting times, etc., I'd be most grateful. Hostas, lilies, daylilies - I have it down pat - fruit trees are another story. I'd absolutely love to plant one this year for fruit 2009 - 2010.

Thanks in advance,
Sandra

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hi Sandra,

You might want to take a look at this thread of mine. I am in zone 5a Iowa, which is not too different from your zone. I had some discussion with others about hardy peaches. You may benefit from reading those parts of the thread since there were a number of recommendations.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/880448/

My Elberta dwarf peach did extremely well this year but doesn't bloom reliably every year because of bloom buds getting frosted. I am expanding into new, different varieties that I hope will be hardy for me.

Claire

Albany (again), NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks - fingers crossed to find one for next year!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oddly enough, I just found one yesterday at my Home Depot store. I bought it but I forget the variety at the moment. They were $14.95 so I figured if it isn't the best, it's not a huge deal. Nice size tree though. I think it might be an O'Henry or something like that. I am not familiar with it but I have enough space to give a few different ones a try, so we'll see what happens with it.

From Raintree, I am considering "Contender" which is reportedly hardy to zone 4, Frost Peach, and HW272, which is not an exciting name, but is from Ontario (where I used to live) and would probably work in your area if it works in Southern Ontario. Raintree says it is heavy bearing and freestone, so may fit your "wants" list.

Claire

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.