The Mystery of the Blue-green Egg

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I FEEL the power! I WIELD the power! I am the SUPER-enabler!!!! Waaaaahhahahahahahahahaha.......

Clarkson, KY

Honey, you wield the CHICKENS!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

LOL! Maybe I do...

Brunswick, GA

Poultry genetic resources link:
http://www.utilitypoultry.co.uk/genetics.shtml

Also did you know that the whole sex thing is opposite in chickens?

Mamals the femal is XX amd male is XY in chickens they call it the Z chromosome and the female is ZW and male is ZZ.

Lynn

Clarkson, KY

I remember ZZ Top... What DID they MEAN?

Brunswick, GA

Basically they change the X letter designation to a Z and the Y to a W for chickens. When I was in high school the called a rooster XX ( which in mamals is FEMALE) and the hens were XY (in mamals this mean MALE) In other owrds chickens are sexually screwed up the guys should be girls!

In mamals the sex of the baby being born is determine by which sperm reaches the egg- one with an X the baby is a girl, if the Y is there first then the baby is a boy. Its one reason a man can't ever blame his wife for giving him all girls or all boys-- his speedy little sperm swimmers determing the sex. In chickens the sex of the chick is determine by the "egg" released at ovulation. not the time she drops it in the nest) if it is a Z egg it is a rooster, if it is a W egg it will become a hen. Yeah it can be really confusing.

Lynn

Clarkson, KY

Sorry I guess I was pretty oblique again(and Thanks,btw). I was wondering what ZZ Top wanted with calling themselves roosters and what the Top referred to?
(think chiiicken, ooonly chiiiickeeen)

Lebanon, OR

One of barred rocks must have some araconda in her as also lays the blue eggs

D

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Araconda. I'm thinking araucana (or ameraucana).

Araconda sounds too close to anaconda, and I don't want those anywhere near my chickens!

Clarkson, KY

But hey, welcome Irislover! My favorite flower!

Lodi, United States

Myrhh and I did a lot of research on the sex chromosomes of chickens--genetically it is a black box. Some still claim the female Y chromosome has almost no active genes--but the evidence is moving away from that.

Birds in general and chickens in particular are weird.

Clarkson, KY

Hmmm....ignorance is bliss. An' I'm ignorant!!Bliiiiissss.....

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Irisloverdee had an awesome co-op this fall and I was a lucky participant. She's the best!

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

teehee.. I'm glad THAT co-ops over! lol!

now, where do I plant 200+ iris?!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Mine are already planted!!! Loved it!

lol... I was referring to the second co-op that just ended :)

no more iris til next year... and I'll need to knock down my fences and start planting in the neighbors yard soon! LOL!

Lodi, United States

Wonderful discovery--chickens don't eat irises! They have cleaned all the bermuda grass out of my iris bed and the irises look better than ever.

lol, maybe I should turn mine loose in the yard and they can plant the iris for me! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.