Garden renovation in progress

Kannapolis, NC

Melissa: I hear you on the weeds growing on top. They do, but maybe it won't be so bad as it was when we started! They were about to devour the house.

DH has done most of the hard, heavy work, thank goodness, and today I have come down with a cold, sore throat, laryngitis, the works, so we've not made very much progress. Did get some of the fabric down and one plant in the ground, but it's simply going to have to wait until I feel better.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

hope you get better quick

Wilmington, NC

I do hope you feel better soon also - it is lovely weather to be working outside (at least on the coast it is). FINALLY!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I have had airbourne seeds land and grow in the mulch on top of fabric. It does help but it's not fool proof. Plastic???? I'm not thinking that is a good choice. LOL.

Kannapolis, NC

No plastic, only fabric. We put it down when we redid the driveway area and so far it's worked great. There've been a few weeds, but they were easy to spot and yank out.

Thanks for the feel better wishes. I sure do hate being under the weather when we're having perfect gardening temperatures!

Kannapolis, NC

Here's a photo from yesterday's work. It's coming along.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's another view of the lamp post and driveway.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Nothing much happening yet in front of the bow window, except for the fabric and some mulch. We're waiting for the pest control people to come and put the monitors back in before planting.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

DH plans to put in some stone edgers along the front when we get farther along, hopefully soon! Rain coming in today so no work done.

Kannapolis, NC

Here's today's photo of the front walkway progress we're making. DH is now putting in the edging and some plants are going in.

Correction: this is yesterday's photo. Today's coming next.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2008 5:10 PM

Sorry. No photo today. Camera blitzed that one or I erased it accidentally, probably the latter. I'll get one tomorrow and post it.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2008 5:17 PM

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here is the garage area garden, coming along. No mulch down yet, as I have seeds of delphiniums sown in back.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

Mind if I nose into your thread to ask a Question ? I'm a new gardener, and being a part of DG is like going to gardening school. What is the "Fabric" you talk about, and how do you use it ? Do you make your beds in the fall for spring ?
Thanks-Lynda

Kannapolis, NC

Lynda: I don't mind at all and welcome to DG. You'll love it here, but beware: addictions lie ahead!

The fabric is landscape fabric which we are using for weed control. I am opposed to its use, but DH insists, after spending too many weekend trying (and failing) to keep the weeds at bay, so I've relented for the front of the house. Not all the beds will have it, though. I need a holding bed for plants I can't resist but don't yet have a spot for. The fabric goes down over the freshly dug or tilled area and the mulch goes down over the fabric. DH likes to put the fabric down first, then cut holes and plant. I think you should plant first and cut the fabric to fit around the holes, so we have a difference of opinion there. But however it is done, that its purpose.

As to making the beds, we are currently redoing all the beds at our house. I've been working out of town for the last four years and DH just didn't keep up with things, so we have a massive mess on our hands. It's easier just to start over.

Thanks for your questions and again welcome to DG. You'll find the friendliest, most helpful bunch of folks here!

Angie

Jacksonville, NC(Zone 8b)

Thanks to everyone. By the way, does anyone know what av_ocd_girl has spilling out of her overturned pot at the top of this thread ?
Lynda

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

The light blue flowers look like forget-me-nots to me. I can't think of anything similar that looks like that!!!

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kannapolis, NC

Lynda: My guess would be Myosotis as well. They sure are pretty, aren't they?

Angie

Johns Island, SC

Weeds are ALWAYS a problem, no matter where you garden...at least in my experience! I've tried everything under God's Blue Sky to minimalize the problem, but it's still there! You can't beat them, but you can minimize them. I use a 2-3" layer of mulch from the local Landfill right after planting. It doesn't completely stop the things from growing, but they're real easy to pull out of the mulch...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.