Garden renovation in progress

Kannapolis, NC

Here is a before photo of a small area near the garage that we started reworking this afternoon, thanks to DH and his tilling skills and great help.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's the area after clearing and tilling.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Now comes the planting. Here's a photo of the far left rounded edge, where I have planted (from the fence) Campanula `Blue Uniform' purchased for $2 at Lowe's (almost dead but now coming along nicely), Jonquils, Hemerocallis White Temptation and Bergenia cordifolia `Tubby Andrews.' Poor Tubby's been languishing in his pot for a year now, so I divided the plant and have it in three places in this little area.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

A shot of the middle of the bed with Bergenia `Tubby Andrews' and a NOID daylily. There are Jonquil bulbs planted also.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's a view of the left side with more Tubby Andrews bergenia and another NOID daylily.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's the right side of the bed with jonquils peeking through and another $2 Campanula `Blue Uniform' making a rebound.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's an overall shot after we finished work for today. Still to come in back are some delphiniums later this fall.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

A closeup of my fairy warning!

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Wouldn't pixies be more menacing?

Kannapolis, NC

CoreHH: Maybe to some, but I saw the sign and couldn't resist. The area doesn't look like much right now, but in a few weeks, I hope it shows lots of progress as the weather cools down a little. Those poor Campanulas were brown and dried and just a little green showing, but I've bought some great plants on sale that looked like they were dead.

Johns Island, SC

Alliterativly I totally agree, Core. But the message is the same---and just as clearly understood. So I think it works...

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Just fooling with you. Fairies will work out fine.

Johns Island, SC

Good One Core! Fairies do work out just fine...

Charlotte, NC(Zone 7b)

I liked how you showed the progress of your project. Thanks.

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kannapolis, NC

Greenthumb, stay tuned. I'm hoping it will show great progress in a couple of weeks and I will keep posting photos of its growth or lack of. Thanks for the thumbs up.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

LOL. I had that problem this year with the lack of rain. Had a bunch of plants I grew from seed and got them planted in the ground. After that I was watering them so they wouldn't die. Not exactly imnpressive to look at right now. I gave my neighbor an elephant ear that gets huge. He was all excited and there it sits with 6 inch leaves on it. It didn't get enough water so it has done almost nothing. LOL. He's not to impressed.

Oh well everything will better next year.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2008 8:32 PM

Kannapolis, NC

Core, yep, there's always next year! The lack of rain is killing us. I am trying to keep only those things which went in the ground this year watered;everything else is on its own.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Ditto. Once it's been in the ground for a year it's pretty much on it's own.

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Really like your pictures, it's great seeing the progress one step at a time. I've often wondered If those 'almost dead' plants at lowe's could come back this time of year with the cooler weather coming.

I LOVE your Fairie sign!!!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I was just at lowes a few hours ago. No half dead plants at all. They were getting rid of outdoor stuff at 50% off of the lowest priced marked. They had an outdoor 10x10 event tent with side curtians for $12, they're usually $50. Outdoor furniture was real cheap for whatever they left over. I'm close to Lowes so I cruise it every couple of weeks especially when the seasons change. To bad the plant buyer for the Bluffton Lowes seems to be dead on with her numbers.

Kannapolis, NC

av_ocd_girl: I'm glad you like my warning sign! I love fairies and am incorporating them into my garden as I renovate all areas. I also have them in my house. See the fairy swap thread.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

One of my friends rented a house from hippies and at last count 37 buddas were found. LOL. They were were everywhere but kind of hidden. No pest control on that house it was meant to be left "natural". It was fun trying to find new buddas. They were up in trees looking down, in bushes, think they pretty much were looking at every piece of the house and yard.

Nice to have the Buddas looking out for you. LOL.

Kannapolis, NC

There is a house in Asheville just off Haywood Road that has Panda bears everywhere in the yard, in trees, up on fence posts, I do mean everywhere, but it's always fun to try to spot a new one that you haven't noticed before.

Ellerbe, NC(Zone 8a)

Oh......I just love fairies, pixies, dragons, etc.....and try to make my yard a sanctuary. In fact, a mischievous little pixie sat up housekeeping in one of my flower pots this year! I've tried to get a picture of her, but she's shy and won't let me get too close.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Kannapolis, NC

av_ocd_girl: They can be elusive, as you know. Some of mine, though, are quite bold and love being photographed; others just flit around the edges of my vision! Here's one who darted into our sunroom and sits on a table listening to our conversations.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's another before photo of part of a front garden area. This is right in front of the bow window in our living room. Horribly weedy and overgrown due to my working the last four years in Asheville and only getting home on weekends and holidays. I'm embarrassed by this photo, but there's worse to come.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's my planned redo. Have already ordered the roses, Sunsprite and Julia Child, one on either end, and The Fawn in the middle. This shows bulbs and perennials I am going to use.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

This is a view from the front door end of the bed.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

dont feel bad about weeds... just come down to wy place and you'll feel better!

Kannapolis, NC

Hey, 1Cross, thanks for the encouragement. The weeds, the weeds, the bain of our gardening existence!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

yeah.... i was actually starting to think about keeping the weeds as a groundcover for the area. i mean, they are all nice and green. if they were supposed to be there, i would be real proud of them!

Kannapolis, NC

Here is the front walkway garden area as it was this morning.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Another view of the bow window this morning.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

View of the entire walkway from the front landing.

Edited to say I just realized I posted this photo twice.

This message was edited Sep 19, 2008 6:06 PM

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

The front walkway area at the end of the day.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

That bow window again.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Another view of the walkway from the driveway. Tomorrow we start putting down landscape fabric and putting in plants!

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Looking this thread over makes me think I have to do some weeding and get my beds in shape this weekend. It just got so hot I didn't keep up with the weeds in August or the beginning of Sept.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2008 7:00 PM

Kannapolis, NC

Core: Neither did we and it was horrible! We're off this morning to get mulch and some plants. Ye-ha.

Wilmington, NC

I hope you have better luck with your fabric! We moved into a house this year and there is fabric or plastic down everywhere. Would have been great, however, in most places the weeds are growing on top of it and through it! It has become my nemesis. You did nice work on your beds! Come on down and I'll put you to work! Melissa

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.