Fall sowing...

Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

Has anyone had success sowing poppy seeds (California, Oriental, and Icelandic) in the fall? Any other seeds y'all would recommend for fall sowing? Actually, any advice would be great since this will be my first attempt. Many thanks!

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I have sown California and annual poppies in the late fall and early winter. Larkspur and Nigella too. You are a half zone warmer than me but I would say anywhere from Nov thru early Jan. Surface sow the seeds and remember not to mulch over them. The hardest thing about growing these is remembering to spread the seeds,lol.

I wasn't familiar with Nigella so checked the plant files...nice colors. Good to know on the timeframe. Thanks chamthy!

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I've done well with columbine- in fact, it really needs (so they say) cycles to break the dormancy so doing it inside can be tricky. Beef up your soil nicely if you want, this fall, then give yourself a Christmas present of seeds to sow!
Larkspur, Cal poppies and Nigella all self sow for me, too, since I didn't mulch over those areas. These three could be tricky to tell apart as new seedlings. Poppy and Nigella could mix, same height, but Larkspur is much taller. And all three self sown, poop out for me by midsummer when the heat hits and soil dries.

I like that present idea, Sally! :)

When you say they poop out by midsummer...do you mean they go dormant or actually die off? Since they self sow, I guess it wouldn't matter either way. Thanks Sally.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Larkspur, Cal Poppies and Nigella are blooomed out and dying in July. I pulled my larkspur a few weeks ago to shake seeds in a different area. You'd have dry stems.
Columbine is usually dormant in the summer and new leaves grow when it has enough moisture, maybe fall (can't remember) but will come back the next spring. However, mine have stayed green thru now this year- I think we've had just enough rain thru the summer.

Thanks sally!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.