Daylily afficionados - help, please?

Madison, AL(Zone 7b)

(1 & 2) Don't know if there is a definitive answer. What is published by the AHS is the information that the hybridizer puts on the registration form. Unfortunately not every hybridizer puts bud count and branching on the form when they register. As far as I know, there is no regulation on this, it is just what they say it is in their garden. Some hybridizers test their plants in different locations, other do not.

Part of the problem is that bud counts are variable depending on the general fertility of the soil, the frequency of fertilization and level of water available to the plants, and climate. Bud counts tend to be higher in the south than the north for the same plant.

Raleigh, NC

The American Hemerocallis Society has a webpage with defintions of daylily terms which is illustrated, complete, and easy to use:
http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/dictionary.html

By the way, "polymerous" has replaced "polytepalous"; see
http://www.daylilies.org/ahs_dictionary/polymerous.html

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

My first day here...joined the site today.I am a day lily freak, but a newbie somewhat to SOME of the terms. However, one I don't see listed is for the lilies that open in the evening. I purchased several just for that reason. Lots of 9 to 5'ers that work days purchase evening bloomers so they can be enjoyed after a long work day. One site I order from lists these as OE....(open evenings)
Just a suggestion. I am sure I will be seeing more of you hem heads soon...............
~~Peace~~

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

Sometimes the evening daylilies are listed as NOC or nocturnal. They start opening in the evening and remain open all the next day so they can also be classified as EXT or extended bloom.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9a)

Ohhh! Ty hemlady!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

You are very welcome!!!!

Baltimore, OH(Zone 6a)

One daylily we have that is truly nocturnal is hemerocallis altissima, one of the species daylilies. It opens about 4:00 in the afternoon and closes the next morning. It is fragrant, possibly because it is pollinated by moths, in its natural locale. It gets almost six feet tall and has a trumpet-shaped flower. I need to get a picture but it will not be in bloom for a couple of weeks.

Huntersville, NC

Ok I stand corrected.

I am a daylily admirer.

That said, I needed a dictionary to look up the definition of the definition. Hmmmm
I'm waaay over my learning curve . . . lol

I may do better forgetting the name and just enjoying what I've got. ^_^

Thanks loads anyway folks!

This message was edited Jul 10, 2011 8:06 PM

Thumbnail by 50glee
Elizabeth City, NC(Zone 8a)

hi, i know we need to add MANY more color descriptions/choices. i know i've gotten very frustrated when i've entered a new daylily and have had to "settle" on a color, even though it's barely close from the hybridizer's or my own definition.

added color choices, would for sure, chirp my cricket !

thanks for ALL u guys do !!
mary ann

Harrod, OH

turektaylor

I am new here so I am working my way through the "pages" of DG and I must say it is fun and also a good way to learn new information for gardening. Thus far, I think the subscription price is well worth the cost.
I wanted to post to tell you that I got a "kick" out of your saying...
(pasted here from your post)
"added color choices, would for sure, chirp my cricket!"
I had never heard that before and got a kick out of reading it.
Hope you don't mind my saying so. It is all in fun.
Have a great Thursday. Oma

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.