Hooray! It rooted

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

My variegated Lacecap finaly has roots after layering. Will definately be layering more this next year!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

good news fivekulps. how sweet the small successes are

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Good for you fivekulps. You'll be on a roll now :-)

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

It died! :( I guess I will have to take a cutting this year.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

It was probably due to the frost!! Cuttings are very easy, too easy with hydrangeas and the process is much quicker than layering! I did mine around July time and chose a non-flowering shoot. They rooted in about a couple of months!! Good luck!!

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I think I will try to get a cuting of them soon, I am attempting my first three cuttings as we speak. If they take then I will be a bit braver! LOL About how long does it take them to root??

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I've never taken them this early in the year but rather waited for the shrub to bloom and then chose non-flowering shoots. Mine rooted in about a couple of months. I will be interested to hear how yours do!! By the way, I potted them individually and placed them in a lightly shaded area of the garden. They won't need a cover!!

Louisville, KY(Zone 6a)

I chose shoots htat were new too, or at least two of the three didn't have a bud on them. I left them in the greenhouse and it got way too hot for them and the two that ddid not have a bud have withered. The one with the bud is standing up quite nicely, go figure!! LOL I took four more cuttings and have brought them in the house where it is much cooler and they all seem to be doing fine, except for the first two. So that just killed my thoughts about only taking cuttings of the non blooming stems. I would have thought that it would have been the one to die. Unless I just got very lucky. LOL

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

As long as the cuttings are in the shade they should do fine! It's always a good idea to pinch out the bud on new cuttings because you want the energy to go into the roots and not the flower. Pinching out will also make the cutting branch out more! But congratulations on getting the cutting to root. More will follow!! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.