Flame tree (Delonix regia) any tips on growing this tree?

Javea, Spain(Zone 10a)

Hi, I planted seeds which I got from Thailand on 13th May and the foto shows how fast this one has grown from seed,. It is in a sheltered position so should be OK in winter I hope. Anyone out there growing this tree in Zone 10?

Thumbnail by ikebana67

Very vigorously in zone 10a in Southwest Florida. Protect from frost, and it will thrive for you.

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

Mother nature grows a lot of them in Miami, Fl (SE) (still zone10). They are flourishing with minimal care from humans. Lots of humidity in the air, even if no rain. In my 6 years in Miami, no frost, a few colder nights (lower 50F), and nobody placed any protection.
I would assume they like the humidity and the rains, since they flower better in these conditions. That's a beautiful tree to have, congratulations on your new "baby"!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am at the northern end of their range if Florida. They tend to lose a lot of leaves in winter. The warmer the climate, the larger they grow. They bloom in summer here.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I really think humidity is a huge factor. I grew up in Brazil and those are used as street trees everywhere (precious!). But - I'm in zone 10 as well, and they do not survive over here, I think because of the very dry climate. Very unfortunate because IMHO the Delonix Regia is the most beautiful tree in the world!

mulege, Mexico

These grow very well where I am (zone 10-11, it rarely freezes). I have one in my yard which survived (barely) many years of neglect while this property was unoccupied. It doesn't rain often here; my tree has responded beautifully to getting watered occasionally. They grow pretty rapidly. Mine was barely putting little shoots of green leaves when I moved here five years ago. This year it is gorgeous. The ground under it gets a red carpet from the falling petals. I don't think they get much more than 25-30 feet tall. I lived in a house which had one on each side of the entrance. Absolutely beautiful when in bloom and attractive when not.

katiebear

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Has at least three different colors also. I saw a pure yellow flower in a park in Honolulu and here in FL we have one called 'Smather's Gold'

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm growing this tree here, and it's grown 5 feet this summer. I have 2 growing, 1 in the front garden, and one in the back garden. They are both 2 years old this summer..they grow amazingly fast, seem to go dormant in the winter...and manage to live. I don't do anything to keep them going in the winter.
I brought the seeds back from Costa Rica.

mulege, Mexico

Wow, that's about the way my cashew nut trees are growing (except for the one the dogs played with).

katiebear

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

A friend of mine came over last week and said he couldn't believe how fast it had grown in the two weeks since he'd been there.
My experience with the tree is that it prefers to be dry at the end of the day. It likes water, but to have extremely good drainage. I'm surprised mine is living in the back garden since it is planted in the alocasia bed, and in fact since it's rained every day this week, alot of it's leaves turned yellow and dropped..does not like the very moist soil ..at least here in this patch of the world. The one in front is with the Papayas. I planted that one in the front location with the Papaya trees after learning about the drainage-- Papayas and poincianas grow well together as they like the same hot, well drained conditions. It is growing like a weed.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Rj....any blooms yet?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

no blooms yet. I was reading that it took around 5 years? Anyone confirm that?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

It could be true. All the blooming ones I have seen were enormous trees.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I really have no pictures of the trees, except a glimpse of the trunk by accident.
To give an example of growth...the size of the tree when planted last summer was about the same size as ikebana67 photo at the top of the thread..the tree is now exceeding the 15 foot range and the foliage is well above the line of sight. The trunk is the very left bordering the photo.
The tree behind the statue to the left is a Jacaranda, not a flame tree.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

ah..I did find a photo of it...I can't believe the difference in a year...I'm not sure I want a huge tree there!.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

You don't have to worry about them getting too big in Houston, winter weather will limit the size for you.

It takes at least 5 years for them to reach blooming size - and that is in the tropics with a 12 month growing season. I am willing to bet good money it will take longer for you RJ. They do not bloom every year here - I am at the end of their northern range (in FL).

The first time I saw one I thought it was a giant Mimosa.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ah..good confirmation...
I also have a Tamarind tree...which will probably take longer too because it's cycle keeps getting interupted by winter. every year I think it's going to croak, but keeps on going..this year..it's really grown large, and the trunk has grown thick too...I'm thinking the flame trees will follow suit in the interupted growth cycle, will slow it down...but it will keep hanging on.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's like a huge gamble here...every year I'm holding my breath...and even if I loose at some point, it was worth seeing things like the Fern tree grow huge, with the fiddles emerging the tops which are bigger than the size of my fist...

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jacaranda is the tree that does great for us.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Since you like to gamble on a plants hardiness you should try a Tabebuia, they are hardier than many tropicals, light frost has no effect on them. The are deciduous and they flower late in the spring. They come in pink

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

And yellow

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

aah...I think they may do well here too. Mine seem to be a bit slower growers than other young trees. This is the second year I've had mine..I have 2 as well.

When the rain stops, I'm going to have to chop at the Hawaiin wood rose...it has encompased the canopy in the back garden..and is shading way too much including one of the Jacarandas and the Flame tree.
The Hawaiin woodrose is yet another plant ..that may or may not bloom, but keeps living.

They're called Flamboyant here. Some redredred, most an orangy red, and some sort of yellow. They go dormant for a while due to dry winter weather, and are blooming and now. then they'll grow greenery for several months.

The island lost about 1/3 of all of them when we had almost no rain for three years after hurricane Hugo. That storm 'pruned' them, and they responded with water sprouts that eventually drooped as far as the ground.

I planted a seed about five feet away from the sea, and it grew and flowered in three years. Then some meanie cut it down, booo. Very easy to grow. Gorgeous.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I noticed that in Costa Rica...they bloom first, then the leaves come.

I just returned from Grand Cayman and they are all over the place. For some reason, I saw no small trees.

Thumbnail by
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I don't think that Delonix regia 'volunteers' very well, seems to need help? I have never seen a wild sapling here in FL and there are thousands of trees and they all make seed.

Keaau, HI

They make volunteers in Hawai'i, but the plants are quickly attacked when they are young.
To get a volunteer to mature, you'll need to give it some personal attention.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi all you Flamboyant lovers. Just thought I would add my two cents. I have several, and all but one have been planted as seeds by me within the last two years. All have bloomed several times starting when they were about 2 ft. tall. The seed pods after flowering have been shared with many folks here and there, and as far as I know they have flowered as well. Don't understand the 5 yr. thingy.

Yokwe,
Shari

Keaau, HI

If your Poinciana flowered so quickly and close to the ground, you may be growing Caesalpinia pulcherrima, rather than Delonix regia.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Ditto. I have never seen a Delonix Regia blooming at 2 ft tall.

They are actually very similar looking, both blooms and leaves. Sixe? A shrub and a tree. And the C. pulcherrima is called a flamoyant something-or other, I found googling.

Flame, Flamboyant, and Royal Poinsienna.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

yes, that's right Molamola. Some even call the C. Pulcherrima a "dwarf Flamboyant". Since the Delonix doesn't grow here (or at least, it doesn't grow well here) I will be planting a C. Pulcherrima in my garden this fall. It was my second best option!
Rob

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I have 3 C.Pulcherrima, and 2 Delonix regia. When I originally recieved the first Delonix, I had no idea of its age. The seeds I have planted from it have all grown and bloomed, and I have shared them with other DGers, as well as folks here on island. The Caesalpinnia seeds I got from another island...a very mature plant. They have also bloomed. Perhaps it is because I am growing them in pots (by necessity not choice), they have to expend less energy in root growth and therefore bloom sooner...I am just happy that they do!

Yokwe,
Shari

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

How lucky! I wish I could grow one too! : )

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

You might try it in a pot instead of in the ground???? I don't know if this will work, but the plants/trees are so beautiful, it is worth the experimentation don't you think?

Yokwe,
Shari

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks for the encouragement Shari...but in my opinion, the Delonix can only show its stunning habit when growing in the ground, as a mature tree, which is out of my league over here.
I will have to stick to the C. Pulcherrima!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Shari! I MISS you...! Come out and play more often!
I'm doubly missing you - As carol and I are sitting in her study commenting on how much we thing your awsome!

It's a botanical garden here, and ..there is Delonix Regia...but then you know that! We will have to plan on being here at the same time sometime!

xxoo Rj

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hiya Randy! Give my darlin Carol a big hug from me, since I think you are both AWESOME! Been really busy with lots of different things, isn't Carol's place the bomb??!! I would love to have been there too. I could spend hours talkin with her, and the same with you, so obviously nothing else would get done, but OH the conversations we would have!!! You drink it all in, enjoy and take lots of pics.

Yokwe to all and sundry!
Shari

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh and Randy, someone just told me...If you are too open minded, your brains will fall out...must be why so many folks close up like clams. Ya think?

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Lol Shari, I love it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.