Is this no longer a Meyer Lemon?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I have this Meyer Lemon that I've had for three years and it produced nicely the past two years.
Toward the end of this past winter, though, it started looking a bit sad and a portion of it is definitely dead.
When spring arrived, it began putting out new growth; however, the new growth doesn't look a thing like the old.
In addition, it's putting out two distinctly different types of leaves.
Has it "reverted" back to something...whatever it is?
I have a pic showing both types of growth, then closeups of each.

Deb

This message was edited Aug 13, 2008 7:37 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Stuck my hand in there so you can see the size.

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Any info would be very much appreciated!

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

DebinSC, It is not clear in your photos where the new strange growth is originating from, but it could be from your root stock. Check to see if it orginates from below the graft. If it does just cut it off as you don't want it. I am not familar with all root stocks but that one is strange. Almost like a vine.

Don't cut off the growth that looks like you remember your meyer looked like. It seems like It is coming back.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2008 4:10 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dlmcgrw: I should've said. Yes, it IS from below the graft.

New Iberia, LA

Looks like the entire tree has died leaving only the root stock. I think that your root stock is trifoliate because of the leaf arrangement. Trifoliate has 3 leaves like poison ivy. You should consider grafting this root stock with another lemon or orange that you like.
Trifoliate fruit smell like a skunk and taste like kerosene so you don’t want to allow it to grow. Ok, those are the bad virtues but on the other hand it is in my opinion one of the best root stocks that you can use.
Oldude

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Oldude, It looks like the part that is not trifoliate is growing from above the graft and should be meyer. Maybe DebinSC can verify this. If that is the case she might just want to save the meyer. Of course, if you have good strong, established root stock you can have all kinds of fun.

New Iberia, LA

You are right, I got fixated on the first couple of pictures. Brain fog again.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

"smell like a skunk and taste like kerosene"
Oooh - yummm! LOL.

I will check as soon as I get home this afternoon and see if the not-trifoliate growth is coming from above or below the graft. It may be from above, but the leaves are huge compared with the leaves it had prior to it's demise.

Back shortly.....
Deb

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ok, here's a picture, because I need additional eyes!
The white arrow is where the growth with the large leaves is coming from.
The blue arrow is where the trifoliate leaf growth is comming from.
The red arrow looks like where the graft is to me - that's the part I wasn't certain of.

Whaddaya think?
Thanks!
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
New Iberia, LA

You are lucky to have just enough above the rootstock to sprout the lemon. Just get rid of everything below the red arrow and it should grow back. Be careful not to put any pressure on the new lemon sprout until it is well established. They tend to snap off easily at this stage.
Oldude

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Oldude, I'll get ride of that weird curly stuff below the arrow. :)

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

DebinSC, you mentioned earlier that the new "meyer" leaves looked bigger than they looked before the freeze. That is probably because you have all that good root system and no tree. All the strength and vigor is going into the new growth. It should start growing like a weed. If it were mine I would not fertilize for quite awhile and I would keep a close eye on the water. And like Oldude said don't let fruit stay on the tree until it recovers some size and strength.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Dlmcgrw: That makes sense. They are HUGE leaves. I wil be very careful with the new growth.
Thanks so much for the help!
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.