Calling all fungi lovers/photographers!

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm gonna do an article on growing/landscaping with fungi... ya'll wanna help me with good clear photos and questions I might have?
pllllleeeeeaaaaaaasssssse! ^_^
I'll make sure to credit y'all!

Yorkshire,

Sounds like such an interesting project crimson. Wish I lived in the US because it's something I'd have loved to be a part of.

Good luck with it!!

Terri

Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

I have many photos. Trying to learn and ID them I found pictures of the cap plus one of the stem and underside help with ID's. I have almost every color. If you need any pictures I might be able to help.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Totally would love some pics mgarr~!
It is exciting Terri, I can't wait to get it finished lol. It'll prolly be next year before I get all the research done- itll give me something to do over the cold winters here.

Just tell me the colors your interested in. I'll send them.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Cool!

Any wickedly awesome colors definitely. But any colors you have will be good. Got any of those glow in the dark fungi things?

Nope I don't go out in the dark in the woods, I'm just too old for that. I'm no expert so the names could be wrong. Strobilomyces strobilaceus top view.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Strobilomyces strobilaceus stem and underside of the cap.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Some like this one I'm not sure.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Underside of the I'm not sure but a different type of stem.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Coprinus plicatilis, Japanese parasols

Thumbnail by mgarr

Don't know this one's name.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Dacrymyces palmatus, jelly fungus

Thumbnail by mgarr

Giant Puff Ball, with an acorn on top of size.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Side view of Giant Puff Ball

Thumbnail by mgarr

Jack O'lanterns, orange.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Coral mushrooms

Thumbnail by mgarr

Smooth pink cap with a red stem.

This message was edited Sep 7, 2008 6:27 AM

Thumbnail by mgarr

Pink cap with red stem showing, also very small.

Thumbnail by mgarr

Green bowl shaped mushroom cap.

Thumbnail by mgarr

This one was just awful. There were many in one area.

Thumbnail by mgarr

This tiny one short, and thin. If you find the names for any of these I'd like to know.

Thumbnail by mgarr
Yorkshire,

OM Goodness mgarr!! Those are fantastic! You've made me want to go out on a 'fungi forage' myself, LOL

They're one of my favorite things to photograph, there are so many different kinds and many are very colourful. I have no idea whether we have completely different fungi in UK to those in USA. Even the least colourful ones are interesting in their own particular way.

My son recently went to Finland and spent some time in the forests there. He said the range of fungi was amazing.

Your photographs are awesome and I really enjoyed looking at them. Thank you for sharing them.

Terri

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Terri is right!
Thank you so much for your help! Ill try and get an I.D on those last ones but no promises cause I'm not too bright with fungi lol.
So many of these will help with this upcoming article!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

How about this Stinkhorn, S. texenseis Texas Native I just took today? Its aptly named?

Thumbnail by DATURA12

Datura12 that is so COOL.

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

oh my gosh, ill so use that one. thats so nasty looking with that wet looking stuff, ewwww. LOL

Yorkshire,

WoW! Datura12, that one is amazing!!

Can I share these with you. I took this picture yesterday. These were as big as saucers.

Gotta love fungi!!

Thumbnail by Terri1948

Terri, how did they look underneath. Are they good ones for eathing?

Yorkshire,

mgarr, I have no idea what they looked like underneath, but at a guess they'd probably been well eaten by slugs as the weather here has been wet for quite a few days. Most of the ones I photographed had slug holes in them :o(

Now whether they are good to eat is something I also have no idea about. The subject of edible fungi has always scared me. I remember my Grandfather once telling me a story about some people he knew being poisoned after eating what they thought were field mushrooms, since then I've admired/photographed wild fungi but haven't had the courage (?) to ever sample them.

When my son visited Finland there was a person who was something of a fungi expert with them when they went into the forest. They collected the different edible fungi and cooked up quite a feast. When he told me what he'd done I gave him quite an 'ear-bashing' for even risking it. LOL

Here's another one I photographed at the weekend. It's a lot brighter red than my camera could pick up on.

Thumbnail by Terri1948

Cool! I love the bright color ones. There are just so many. Most of the bright ones I took pictures of were taken in a dry deciduous forest when we hadn't had rain for over two weeks. Go figure.

Churchill, Victoria, Australia(Zone 10a)

crimsontsavo

I have a lot of photographs of fungi, though they are mainly Australian fungi.

You asked above about glow in the night fungi. We have a fungus here called the Ghost Fungus - Omphalotus nidiformis. Here is a picture of it in the daylight:

Kennedy

Thumbnail by kennedyh

and here it is again photographed by its own light. I set it up under the house at night, where there is no light at all and gave it a 90 minute exposure at maximum aperture.

Thumbnail by kennedyh

Here is something very different in the fungi, the Basket Fungus - Ileodictyon gracile. This one has just emerged, from it's thick outer shell. It expands into an open lattice ball, which then is blown along the ground while it distributes its spoors.

Thumbnail by kennedyh
Yorkshire,

Kennedyh, both of those are awesome!!
Nature is wonderful in the way it has a different way for each fungi to disperse it's spores, isn't it? I wonder why that fungi actually glows in the dark...to attract what? (besides people with cameras, LOL)

Isn't the 'tumbleweed' from USA a type of fungi? I believe I read that somewhere...but I could be wrong.

Terri

Thumbnail by Terri1948

those are all wonderful pics
I got these today
i have no idea what they are
i m a bit of an amatuer.
but here it goes

Thumbnail by

here is another angle
I didn't know so many did the same thing as i do. Take pics of fungi ! lol

Thumbnail by
Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

Those are really pretty Taynor!!
Fungi is just such an unexpected thing when you stumble across it. All those colors, like your yellow, I can see why people like taking their photos!

thanks crims :)
we have 37 acres and find them all over . Lots of fun. We have morels too , the amish come over to look for them . I don't mind. They give me a handful . Its all good :)

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

crimsontavo, I thought this project was 86'd?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.