So what salvias are you growing?

Gautier, MS

All purple leucantha & another.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Here's the pic of the first one on a sunny day.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Helena, your Hotlips Salvia has racing stripes too!

Gautier, MS

Is that what they call it! It does look like it, I never noticed it before and thought it was neat Joseph.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

I don't know if "they" call it by that name but I certainly do LOL!

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Joseph,, you are too funny. racing stripes..... And I thought they were 'sexy lips'. Mine are beginning to have 'lips' again now that the weather is cooling. They were solid white or pink all summer.

Elaine

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Love those mexicanas and Raspberry Truffle.

one of my greggii seedlings

Thumbnail by chamthy
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

really great pics! Love those blooms!

Can't remember what this is I think it said gentitian sage, but I will get a closer, better shot of the bloom heads in a bit.

Thumbnail by joeswife

best I can get I guess , the blooms are fuzzy like with little hairs.. any ID?

Thumbnail by joeswife
London, United Kingdom

Salvia leucantha?

yeps thats it! mexican sage...not a salvia.. sheese

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

No, it is a salvia, Salvia leucantha. Just not the salvia you thought it was!

well, it sure is purty, I hope she winters over..

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

What zone are you in? Depending on the cultivar I usually see it listed as either 7b or 8a so I suspect you'll have to dig it up and bring it in or start some cuttings if you want to keep it.

awww u r kidding me! LOL I am in a zone 5a and everything I bought this year has to be dug up or cuttings made sheesh the rooting tub has been bubbling away for two weeks now.. dang it I thought I could overwinter this one.. *sigh*

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Well, if it makes you feel better, the gentian sage that you thought it was labeled as is equally unhardy, so you would have had to do something with it either way :-( For next year, here are some salvias that Bluestone Perennials sells--they're in zone 6 so they'll have a few that might be questionable for you but most of them ought to be hardy or very close. http://www.bluestoneperennials.com/b/bp/search.html?mv_session_id=QriE5HkY&co=yes&ma=yes&mc=1&tf=name&to=f&rf=*&sp=results_pics&st=db&fi=products&mv_value=nametype%3Dscientific&ml=45&mv_value=srchtype%3Dkey&from_search=1&sf=%3Acode%3Aname%3Acommon_name%3Ashort_desc%3Adescription1&se=salvia&su=1&op=rm&sf=is_coupon&se=1&su=0&op=ne&sf=disc&se=0&su=0&op=gt&hide=1&submit.x=0&submit.y=0 (ignore the achillea that showed up at the very top, I'm not sure why it came up in the search!)

okay, I have this one : SALVIA Syl. X May Night (Mainacht) and this one : SALVIA nemorosa Rose Queen
and this one : SALVIA East Friesland ,
and the Black and Blue, and the red salvia annual and the blue salvia annual

Thumbnail by joeswife
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

May Night and Rose Queen and East Friesland should be fine for you. Black & Blue is another zone 7-ish one but from what I've seen other people post it comes very close to true from seed so if you save seeds you should be able to have it again next year without too much trouble.

Black and Blue comes back for me and gives me seeds as well.. but I really blanket my flower beds before the freeze comes to stay, about two feet deep with leaves..

Starkville, MS

Can anyone tell me if the salvia Anthony Parker will survive outside in the winter in Zone 7b?

Thank you,
Shirleyd

Candor, NC

I am guessing you are at the margin of hardiness. I am in USDA zone 7b in North Carolina, and it is not reliably hardy here, unless you have a good microclimate.

Starkville, MS

Thanks Richard. I guess I had better take some cuttings-----even though I have not been as successful with those as I have with Tula. Tula is so tough it will start blooming almost immediately after I put it in a rooting pot. Also, I try to root Salvia Madrensis-------it works fine at first----and then about January it will die. These are all kept on a glass enclosed porch where i keep the temperature about 50.

Shirleyd

Candor, NC

The newly rooted plants like warm root zones and do not like excessive moisture.

okay my Salvia leucantha is in full bloom and so pretty, i took one cutting from it and it is in a bubbling root tub, no roots yet but a couple of nubs, should I try the other two in peat pots or just dig up the whole plant and try to winter it over. Does it go dormant?

Kannapolis, NC

Ariel: That's some serious salvias you have growing! I love the white one, the Maraschino, the burgundy one, the Meyeri. Well, actually I loved them all! Great photos.

Thanks, everyone, for all the info. I'm finding salvias more and more dependable for continuous bloom. Have to get more of these next spring.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.