So what salvias are you growing?

Riverview, FL(Zone 9b)

I love my salvias!
So I thought I would share with you some (most) of the salvias I am growing.

I would love to see what everyone else is growing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Arielrob/Salvias

Starkville, MS

I am sending a picture of my garden with at least 4 different salvias growing. As you can see, I am not a very neat gardener----just let it grow as it wants. This picture was made 3 years ago-----as the plants have not reached that point yet in my time zone.

Shirleyd
Zone 7b

Thumbnail by shirleyd
South/Central, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh, Ariel, your salvias are soooo pretty. I just started growing some this past year, and I love them, also. I only have about 4 different kinds, and most of them are like yours. I did get a couple of Yvonne's salvia to come up, and they are just now starting to bloom. Still little plants tho. I can't wait till they get bigger. : )

Shirleyd, I love your really dark red one in the back. It's beautiful. Do you know what kind it is?
~Lucy

Starkville, MS

So sorry I do not know the name of the dark one. Over time their names leave me.

Shirleyd

GA, GA(Zone 7b)

It looks like Salvia vanhouttei, so pretty!
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/112735/

Whatever it is, it sure is pretty. : )

Riverview, FL(Zone 9b)

Shirely, Nice picture.
Your salvias look great!

Lucy,
Thanks for the compliments.
You know you are welcome anytime to come and get cuttings of salvia or anything else in my garden!
Take a picture of your Yvonne's salvia when it blooms. That salvia looks amazing. I am in the process of trying get some seeds.

I'll get a picture soon. : ) I also hope to get some seeds. If I do, I'll send you some. : )
~Lucy

Fairmont, WV

Here they are...

Thumbnail by lusarytole
(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I love salvias.. I have about five kinds right now..

Candor, NC

Some of the plants in the collage of the last image are Lobelias.

Fairmont, WV

Yea they are the ones in back are Salvia May Night. Thanks for pointing that out!! Sorry

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

This is a photo of a salvia elegans, pineapple sage. The leaves smell and taste like fresh pineapple. The plant is apparently a late bloomer in my zone, it produced it's first bloom this week. I have several salvia greggii that have been blooming for several months. One of my favorites is 'hot lips'. I had one and it flourished for one season and died, I haven't replanted. I have also had the same problem with "spires", one season.

Thumbnail by Rocco
Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

My Pineapple Sage hasn't bloomed yet, either. My Yvonne's Salvia is blooming and I have taken a cutting. It isn't very tall yet. Probably needs more sun.

Elaine

Candor, NC

My Salvias are not blooming much this year either, but that may be caused by the fact that my medium and big pots are carry overs from last year and were not fertilized much. I hope the current 70 degree days last a long time and that we do not have an early freeze.

Starkville, MS

I have a beautiful salvia that I would like to have identified. For years I have called it Tula (but can't remember where I got that name). I take cuttings each year, as I fear that it might not survive my Zone 7b winter. Can anyone help?

Shirleyd

Thumbnail by shirleyd
Candor, NC

That is Salvia mexicana `Tula', and it originally was collected and distributed by Yucca-Do. It should get 7 to 8 feet tall, and is hardy in North Carolina, zone 7b. Mulch a bit to protect from repeated cold freezes.

Starkville, MS

Thanks you Richard. I always find your comments interesting and informative.

Shirleyd

Thousand Oaks, CA

Could you say how 'Tula' differs from 'Limelight'?

Candor, NC

'Tula' differs from 'Limelight' mostly in size. Tula is a giant, getting 7-8 feet tall, whereas Limelight is around 4-5 feet tall. They bloom about the same time. The chartreuse calyxed form with medium blue flowers is a commonly occurring form, but the dominant one is the midnight purple form, both flower and calyx. The latter are represented in the trade with `Puerto de la Zorra', `La Placita' (collected by me near each other on the old PanAm highway in Hidalgo), `Ocampo' (a giant form from southern Tamaulipas, collected by Yucca-Do, `Lollie Jackson', a form with both especially dense and long flower spike', `and Compton's form, also from Yucca-Do

Thousand Oaks, CA

Thanks for that explanation, Rich.

Starkville, MS

Richard-----your explanation on the difference between Tula and Limelight makes me want to switch to Limelight. Will Limelight survive the winters of Zone 7b? Also, will I be able to find seeds for it next year in the usual catalogs?

Also, where would I find some literature on explaining the different types of Salvias? I have so very many-----and don't know whether to call them varieties or cultivars----or which ones are grouped together.

One more question-----did I hear that there is a pure white version of salvia leucantha?
Shirleyd

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I posted a list of all the Salvias I grow a while back and then lost it before it posted:(

I'll share some pics this time.

Salvia leucantha

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Cherry Chief- probably my oldest Salvia.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Silke's Dream with S. farinacea 'Henry Duelberg' in background.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Salvia chamaedryoides

Editing to say I'm out of time- will post more later:)

Shari

This message was edited Oct 8, 2008 7:32 AM

Thumbnail by chamthy

Hi Shari, you have some happy looking Salvias!

Joseph

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Joseph. I have sandy topsoil that many of the xeric Salvias seem to like.

I got this one at a plant swap. I think it's 'Maraschino'.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Lookin' good there, Shari:-) Hope you're doing well.

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Salvia meyeri- this is the one that Plant Delights has sold in recent years.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Hey Bev! Good to see ya:)

Indigo Spires

Thumbnail by chamthy
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Lovin' those salvias, Shari! Keep up the great pics:-)

Lizella, GA(Zone 8a)

Shari, love that Cherry Chief. I took a picture of it at Daniel Stowe gardens last month when we visited.
Elaine

Thumbnail by EFGeorgia1
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I really like my Cherry Chief. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was a greggii/microphylla cross. My other greggiis have smaller smooth leaves.

Bev- I've been looking through all my pics this year to pick out more. I really went picture crazy this year,lol.

This is the best Salvia 'Christine Yeo' looked for me so far this year. I've been a little disappointed in its flower power for its size. Picture was taken on 5/17/08.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Garner, NC(Zone 7b)

Wish I could take some pics, Shari...DH has 'put away' both of my cameras and has no idea where they could be!!! If he weren't such a great garden bed digger.....lol!!

Gautier, MS

Thought I would post a few pictures. I'm really happy with my salvias mexicanas, they're loaded with blooms making the hummers very happy too.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

This is another mexicana, I have several but lost lables.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Raspberry Truffle is doing well too.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

Sl411 is finally blooming a lot more now.

Thumbnail by helenahkh
Gautier, MS

A neat view from the side of Hot Lips.

Thumbnail by helenahkh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.