2008 Humungous Heuchera Hoedown

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Potagere, I will send you a gallon size Richardsonii free of trade. Since this heuchera is a Midwest native is is easy to grow here. We can finalize the details after the trade lists are complete. Also the Heucherella I labeled as Burnished Bronze is really Chocolate Lace. Anyway Medinac (Cheryl) has already claimed this one and picked it up over the weekend.

Felisa

Now, there's a deal!!! You'd never be able to ship a gallon-size plant to France (even if you could afford it!), nor could I carry one back, but maybe you can send a small one to me in Washington State while I am home leave and I can carry that! Oh, so many gorgeous plants and so many more obstructing regulations!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

OK just give me the details. Besides once you cut the plant back and remove all the potting soil it is a pretty small package. LMK.

Felisa

Athens, PA

So far I have Hollywood, Lime Rickey, Heucherella Dayglow and Sparkling Burgundy potted up. Going to pot up more this weekend. I'll list my wants and don't wants this weekend too!

Carolyn

OK! Sounds like everyone is getting really organized! When we have Carolyn's lists, I am going to propose ways of carrying out this swap so it works out best for everyone. We're going to need some thinking caps here as well as green thumbs!

Thumbnail by Potagere
Athens, PA

Potagere,

You asked for photos. Here is Hollywood with Crimson Curls on the right. I took this rooted cutting last week. The flowers are a wonderful red, last a long time and attract hummingbirds. This link show the flowers on Hollywood. http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=144

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

This one is Sashay. I got a nice one this past spring in a co-op and I was able to divide what I had into 2 rooted cuttings. One I will trade and the other I am keeping. I love the red undersides to Sashay. Here is a link to Sashay when she is all grown up! http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=163

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

This is Heucherella Dayglow and on the right is Lime Rickey. Here is a link that shows Dayglow all grown up. http://www.terranovanurseries.com/wholesale/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=177. I love the flowers in this picture and can't wait to see it flower next Spring.

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Athens, PA

My WANT List;

Pinot Gris
Pinot Noir
Venus
Cathedral Windows
Mystic Angel
Obsidian
Chocolate Ruffles
Monet
Christa
Strike it Rich
Snow Angel
Green Spice
Neptune
Paris
Petite Pearl Fairy
Snowfire
Stormy Seas
Ginger Ale
Raspberry Ice

I have no problems taking Heucherellas or Tiarellas in addition to the Heucheras as long as they are not ones that I have. I also have no problem trading for something that is not on my want list providing I don't already have it.

My DO NOT WANT List. These I have and most are not large enough to divide or I would have included them in my trades.
Melting Fire
Purple Palace
Tiarella Pink Skyrocket
Hollywood
Lime Rickey
Sashay
Midnight Rose
Crimson Curls
Sparkling Burgundy
Burnished Bronze
Heucherella DayGlow
Heucherella Stoplight
Rave On
Vesuvius
Frosted Violet
Sparkling Burgundy
Purple Petticoats
Silver Scrolls
Plum Pudding
Miracle

My Rooted Cuttings I am trading:
Hollywood
Lime Rickey
Sparkling Burgundy
Crimson Curls
Sashay
3 Heucherella Dayglow. I would not have put in so many of these, other than there were multiple requests for this and by more than 1 person.
Plum Pudding

One other thing, next month there will be a co-op in which there will be Heuchs, Heucherellas and Tiarellas. If you want to be a part of this co-op, please DMail Fairy1004. I did discuss with her that I would mention it in this trade. She will put you on the list if you send her a Dmail.

Thanks

Carolyn

This message was edited Aug 23, 2008 10:24 PM

This message was edited Aug 24, 2008 10:59 AM

Hi,
I thought I was getting real organized here when I realized that we have not heard anything from bisa80 in forever! bisa, are you still with us? I hope you are OK! I need to get your lists of what you have to trade, what you want and what you definitely do NOT want!
I also see that truongr and bluepoppy have not said that there is anything they definitely do not want. Is that correct?

Thanks for your lists, Carolyn, and for the photos. I need to get Hollywood to go with my Pluie de Feus! The 2 plants mixed together with their bright red, long-blooming flowers but with the contrasting foliage would be great!

More on process when the lists are complete. Of course, we still may get more participants in the next 2 weeks, but we can start thinking about the actual trade(s).

Thanks for the info on the Heuchera Co-op, Carolyn. Why isn't "bestest fairy" over here on this thread herself participating in the swap? I know, she's too busy building bat houses and keeping her heucheras to herself!

Athens, PA

Potagere,

I asked the bestest fairy if she wanted to participate - apparently she already has a number of trades going on. Anyway, I went into the swap/trade forum and posted a link to the swap.

Carolyn

Eighty Four, PA(Zone 6a)

I am Here!

I have been following along...but quit, because I had to get my list together. I did some separting last week and everything looks like it is taking and I can trade!

Have to Trade:
Melting Fire--- I can make multiple trades I have at least 10.
Carmel
Raspberry Ice
Shamrock

Already Have and Do not Want list:
Amethyst Mist
Carmel
Marmalade
Melting Fire
Miracle
Purple Palace
Raspberry Ice
Regina
Ring of Fire
Ruby Bell
Shamrock
Southern Comfort

I think I got them all!

Thanks!
Lisa

This message was edited Aug 25, 2008 8:41 AM

Excellent, Lisa! Thanks for sending this. Are there any varieties that you particularly want, or are you happy to get anything you don't have?

Saint Louis, MO

Hi Potagere,
I didn't realize I was supposed to put a do no want list. So here's a revised version of have and don't want, want , have for trade lists.

I already have and don't want:
purple palace
encore
pinot gris
pinot noir
tiramisu
citronelle
pistache
melting fire
chocolate ruffle
earth angel
georgia peach
southern comfort
peach flambe
frosted violet
raspberry ice
mocha
amethyst mist
miracle
marmalade
caramel
stormy seas
midnight rose
venus
sparkling burgundy

I want any of these
sashay
can can
french quarters
obsidian
paris
green spice
ginger ale
purple petticoats

I have for trade:
venus
sparkling burgundy
mocha
pinot gris
citronelle
midnight rose
frosted violet
raspberry ice

OK I hope my memory is accurate.... You never know these days...

Thanks, Rosalie! That really helps. I also note that you have added Frosted Violet and Raspberry Ice to your Trade List (unless they were always there and I missed them!).

I am almost ready to discuss options!!

Saint Louis, MO

Yes I have added Frosted violet an Raspberry ice because I got them for 20% at a local nursery . There was plenty of mother plant to take off some baby plant for the trade.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Unfortunately, the bunny did not just graze over my Heuchera Snow Angel...it came back and finished it off! It is not there at all! I cannot even find a crown. [sad, long face...]

Also, Amythyst Mist, I thought I had, but I cannot find now either...Hmmm. It is either a bunny with unusually good taste or a Heuchera bandit in my area that is on the loose...

I have available for trade (an update to actual potted up and getting ready):
1 Cathedral Windows
2 Licorice
5 Purple Petticoats
2 Creme Brulee
1 CanCan
2 Key Lime Pie
1 Peach Melba
1 Midnight Rose
...and of course, Palace Purple, but most seem to have this one or do not want...

Anything that is not traded will certainly be welcome back into my garden. :o)

Ohhh, I can't wait!

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, I forgot...
I just added a Citronelle to my collection this weekend...just can't walk by and not "buy"!

It is small, so I would not have enough to divide yet, but I would add this to my "Already Have" list. Just love those colors of those heucheras!!!

RatherB

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

RatherB - You're funny! But that bunny or bandit better buzz off! Hopefully you will find them again come spring. Nice to have picked up Citronelle. That one I haven't yet found around here. I have been picking up some nice things at HD for great prices. A couple I was able to divide for the swap, hopefully, they will be fine - I'm a rookie at this. Hopefully next year they will offshoot some babies and I will have more to share.

Potagere - Hopefully I will finish up tomorrow dividing and I will give you a final count on how many and which I have to trade.

Cheryl

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I know what you mean about HD...this past weekend, while visiting in the Wilkes-Barre area, I bought gallon-size or so named hosta and Autumn ferns for $1.99 each and a few smaller-sized containers of sedum and heuchera (unnamed, unfortunately) for 99 cents each. They all looked great, too. They also had some other ferns and large containeers of coneflowers for $1.99. What a bargain! I am sure the varieties vary depending on the area you live. I was one happy girl!

Walmart was also marking down their stock drastically, too. Found 3 additional types of salvias there. I am sure many stores are clearing out their garden space...

Although not on clearance, I found my 'Citronelle' at Lowe's. I love the brighter foliage...it brightens up the shadier spots of the garden, doesn't it? Now grow little heuchera, grow!

Wish I had been able to find more heucheras, though.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Oh, also, today in my Secret Hosta swap, my Secret Swap friend, Ruby42, sent me 'Chocolate Ruffles'. I will add that to my list above.

Thanks again, Ruby42! I really appreciated it!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Rather - Wow, what great plants for unbelievable prices! You can't pass those up! I love ferns and hosta. My daughter's class is now over so I won't be frequenting the same HD I found all the other heuchera at for $6 -5-and $4 each (can you believe that?)... but, their school is only a mile or so away from another HD. I asked at the other one if they would continue to get more in and all she could tell me (an employee of the grower who waters and takes care of the plants they provide) is that they would continue to get more shipments through October. Only being a mile away from school, I can still swing in to see if they'll get more. I was at yet a different one this past Friday and they had all the same ones I had already bought, so it seems they are all getting the same shipments. I hope they continue to get more, it would make for a great Hoedown for next year! I do love the bright heuchera too! Good luck finding more deals.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

That is great that you are in the area anyway...sure saves on gas, so your savings is even more! I sure wish they still had some of the heucheras...instead of one full cart, I would have had two!

I think that RatherBDigging better get digging!
:o)

Saint Louis, MO

I can't believe the deals rather B and medinac are getting. I better check out the nice HD and Lowe stores tomorrow.

Eighty Four, PA(Zone 6a)

I am happy getting anything I don't have....what ever is easy! I love them all!

OK, gang! Here's some options based on the information already submitted and the particpants currently signed up.

The 1st option works on the principles of "equality" (i.e. everyone gets back as many plants as they send); and "economy" (i.e. everyone sends one package).
In this scenario, based on offerings, wants and don't wants, we have the following:
bluepoppy sends her 4 plants (Mystic Angel, Purple Petticoats, Earth Angel and Key Lime Pie) to bisa80
bisa80 sends 4 plants (Melting Fire, Caramel, Raspberry Ice, Shamrock) to bluepoppy
medinac send 5 plants (Caramel, Peach Flambee, Raspberry Ice, Sparkling Burgundy, Lime Rickey) to RatherBDigging
RatherB sends 5 plants (Can Can, Purple Petticoats + 3 others) to truongr
truongr send 5 plants (Venus, Pinot Gris, Raspberry Ice, Mocha and Citronelle) to Carolyn
Carolyn sends 5 plants (Hollywood, Heucherella Dayglow + 3 others to frahnzone
frahnzone sends 5 plants (Blackout, Mocha Mint, Silver Veil, June Bride and H. richardsonii) to medinac
In this plan, everyone gets some of what they want and none that they do not want.

Option 2:
I can try to match as many offered plants as possible with participants' wants. Each participant should get back as many plants as they send out, but everyone would be sending multiple packages. Some might send to 2 people, but others might send to as many as 3 or 4.

Option 3:
Some kind soul agrees to be the clearinghouse (normally, I would do this as organizer, but if you sent me all the plants, I could not send them back! Boy, would I have a great heuchera collection, however!). I would figure out what each person has that others want, try to ensure that everyone would get back as many plants as they send, and then have you send your plants along with an equal amount of postage and a mailing label to the "clearinghouse" person, who would then send on to each participant the plants designated for them.

Option 4: Any ideas????

Potagere

Athens, PA

I am fine with any of the options that everyone wants to do. I can even act as the clearinhouse if you would like. Whatever every one is happy with is fine with me.

If you want to use me as a clearinghouse, then let me know and I will DMail my address to everyone. Potagere, I can either hold your hechs until you are on the west coast or try to get them into France (doesn't France import veggies/fruit or perhaps as you stated mislabled items going into France).

Let me know what you all want to do. One thing I need to add, I have to go out of town tonight on business returning late tomorrow night, so I won't be online until Thursday.

Carolyn

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I am up with whatever the group wants to do. However, just remember that postage can be a real killer and turn bargain plants into very expensive plants.

Felisa

Eighty Four, PA(Zone 6a)

I personally like option number 1 -- I think it is the best bargin postage wise.

Second choice would be the clearing house.

Lisa

I know, Felisa, that's why I think Options 1 or 3 work best.

I can't really receive any heucheras, Carolyn, since I can't SEND any!!! But thanks for the offer!

We won't make any decisions until everyone has expressed an opinion.

And, who knows, we may still get more traders!!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

I like option #1, second choice is #3.

If we do the clearing house, wouldn't we have to ship plants in dirt vs. option #1 could be without dirt? I'm new to this stuff so forgive me if I sound dumb.

Which brings up question #2. What type of shipping do we request at USPS?

Hey Felisa, good deal for an easy trade, huh? And oh, if the offer is still out for the Starfire Phlox, I would like some more if you didn't already find another home for it.

Saint Louis, MO

I think I like option one the best. It's very simple and hard to mess up. One shipment to ship and one to expect.
With the clearinghouse idea, I can see things getting entangled and people becoming unhappy. Option 2 would be pricey and defeat the purpose of getting cheap plants.

We are running 5 in favour of Option1 (my sort and assignment of trades) with 2 not heard from (bluepoppy & RatherBDigging).

I still hope we will get a few more traders (there are so many heuchera lovers on our threads),
but if you all trust me to make the calls, I will set up final trades on this basis on 4 September.
I know, I originally set that date as 7 September, but my wife has finally informed me that she has invited friends from the US & UK to attend her mysterious gala in celebration of my 60th birthday, and that they will arrive on 5 September and remain until 11 September (and on 15 September, we depart for the US on home leave) ... so, I have to do my final bits on 4 September.

We will still set 15 September as the target date for all plants to be in the mail.

I apologize if this seems a bit "ad hoc". I just thought that there were enough heuchera lovers on DG to initiate a trade, so I have pushed it. You are a great bunch of people, and I will demand that you let me know how your gardens grow! It all has to start somewhere, right?

We can take revisions of lists
as well as new members
up until 4 September

Potagere

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Potagere - Sounds good to me and I trust you to make the calls.

Landisburg, PA(Zone 6a)

Option 1 is fine with me......

Athens, PA

anything the group wants to do is fine with me

OK, sounds like we will work with Option 1.
We'll wait to see if we get anymore participants and I will finalize everything on 4 September!!!

Even though I won't get to trade in this Hoedown, I am excited!

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry, Potagere...I thought I posted already (probably had a moment with a laptop battery going low and I never got back to my message when I went back to it...my apologies...)

Yes, from the moment I read your choices for the swap, I agree that it is more cost-efficient to go with Option#1. Secondly, I would go with Option#3...but that may a little harder that one would think. It would be like the host/hostess in a co-op gets in live plants and has to turn them around fairly quickly, and sometimes with disappointing results, too, with losses of plants. Each plant will have to travel to the host site and then spend a few more days on the road to eventually make it to its end, but loving destination.. Each one may be on the road, say possibly up to a week...Even with the best of care, (and I know Carolyn22 would be the person for the job...) the chance for plant death (Oh, NO!!!) would be much greater. I can work for the sedum swap, but I think heucheras would be a little more delicate.

After all that..."No. 1." :o)
RatherB

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Hi- Can I please join your swap? I just found this forum today and these are one of my fave plants for shade. I have a few I can trade and I can take some pics too.

What I have that is dividable is... Green Spice, Key Lime Pie, Citronelle and Caramel.

Saint Louis, MO

RatherB, could you send Cathedral windows, Creme Brulee and Peach Melba as the 3 extra plants to make a balance of 5?
Thanks!
I am so looking forward to this swap!
Of course with all the talks about HD's cheaper prices I have been checking out some nice HD and found some new ones to get and share for next year ( Dolce Key Lime pie and Green Spice.
I love this time of the year which is a great planting time for us in the midwest and all the nurseries have perenials on sale!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.