More alpines, in situ

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Back to Sparrowhawk, one of our favorites, to see what difference a couple of weeks makes in this late wildflower year...
Veronica wormskjoldii:

Thumbnail by altagardener
Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

The ever-present Silene acaulis:
Saw some colour variations in individuals, though this one shows the usual colour.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

In the rock crevices of the moraine, Penstemon ellipticus:

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Claytonia megarhiza, not even in bloom yet on August 7th!

somewhere, PA

I've been negligent in checking here... lovely pic's. Those tiny little
plants are just so cute.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I've never seen that Claytonia in all my travels to Alberta. Didn't even know they grew in the province.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Oh yes - not everywhere but it can be found in number in the right habitat, which Moss/Packer says is "rock crevices and talus at alpine elevations", and that describes very well where I've seen it. The range map shows it as occurring through the southern half of the Rocky Mts. in Alberta, and the text says its range includes the W. Mackenzie, BC, sw Alta and south to Nevada, Utah, and New Mexico.

(By contrast, Claytonia lanceolata occurs all along the Rocky Mt. border of Alberta, and it can occur in truly vast numbers in alpine meadows.)

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Indeed, I have seen C. lanceolata in many places. Will have to keep the other in mind the next time I get up your way.

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

AltaGardener, that Penstemon ellipticus, is adorable! We will have to add some of those to our rock gardens. I really like Turkish Speedwell for crevices. It is so green and when it blooms, so colorful. It will take a drought or lots of water, which it gets on Cookie's Rock for the overflowing pool.

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.