Ellen Bousquet,Crinum

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Temps were 103*,but didn't stop these from flowering,these are standing taller than ever this year,up and over 3ft tall,and fragrant too!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Come a little closer!!!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I was just reading about crinums! I didn't know you had any! Those are beautiful!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Flock of them!!!LOL

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes have several now,and there hardy!!!! Well zone 6 at least!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

I read in this magazine about this guy who found a very large clump of crinums near a bar! He got the owner to dig them up...with a backhoe!! Anyway...I don't remember all the particulars...but this crinum is the largest one that has been found, and they named it after this guy. He said it was fragrant too...and if I remember right, it was 6-8 ft. tall?? I'll have to look at the article again.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Ellens purdy!

That is one of my favorites (Ellen Bosanquet, I think it's spelled?); I had no idea they were hardy. Here is mine :-)

Thumbnail by

Here is Queen Emma

Thumbnail by

The gorgeous purple foliage on the Queen Emma.

Thumbnail by
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Yes I know,I was watching the Jeff Corwin show,don't remember where he was,but he was catching Giant Bullfrogs,and behind him was crimun,where one leaf stalk looked to be as large as he was!!!!!

Randy,I got these from down Texas way,I believe her name was Judy,who moved from Tennessee To Texas,started a nursery,then a hurricane came and wiped her out just about,and then they moved back to Tenn, or Kentucky,do you know who I'm talking about,don't see here anymore.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Dutch lady
Beautiful,are yours blooming now??

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hmm...I don't know...must have been a while ago, unless it was Rita that wiped her out, and I can't imagine that one did it.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I believe she was on the coast,real close to the Louisiana State Line,man I hate when I can't remember anymore!!!LOL

Mine bloom year round it seems. My biggest one (a Queen Emma) is 7 ft tall.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

7ft WoW!
Mine dye back to the ground during winter,but really grow fast in the spring,they love full sun!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've seen those Queen Emmas here...they are huge!

Here's a picture of todays tropical rain storm forrest...it's pouring....

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok...I looked up that article. His name is Jenks Farmer. Website Jenksfarmer.com. He has Lushlife Nurseries in Columbia, SC.
And they used a tractor..not a backhoe..lol...to dig up a 400 lb. bunch of crinums at that bar....along with a lot of broken beer bottles!!
This crinum ...he got to name it...is called Regina's Disco Lounge....in honor of that 70's juke joint where he found it. He says it was taller, straighter, and just plain bigger than the common crinum. I thought it was interesting.

how interesting! do you have a picture of the bloom?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Went to the web site,but couldn't find the story about the tractor and the crinum,but saw some pretty pictures,thanks for posting about this!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Ok...here is a pic from the magazine...which by the way is..Perennials, summer 2008, by BHG. In this pic is Ellen Bosanquet, Regina's Disco Lounge, Cecil Houdyshel, and Bradley. Maybe you can figure out which is which? I am not that familiar with crinums. This was the only pic that mentioned that name.

Thumbnail by Marcy_1
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Looks like several different varieties in the picture!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

If you go to his website http://www.lushlifegarden.com/.....it will show a picture of the Regina's Disco Lounge...and all the others too.
Thought about that after I took a pic of the magazine picture...lol!

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Hmmm...I see that link doesn't work?? Well then, try Jenksfarmer.com

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I went there,still can't find the story about digging it up with a tractor!
I might be brain dead!

Keaau, HI

The name "Queen Emma Lily" is associated with Crinum augustum. The purple plant shown above is Crinum asiaticum 'Traubii'. Both plants are commonly grown in Hawai'i.

As the fable goes, Crinum augustum was coined as the "Queen Emma Lily" as it was supposed to be her favorite flower.
Truth is, Queen Emma probably never saw a Crinum species in her lifetime. It was the Allerton family that introduced Crinum augustum to Hawai'i in the twentieth century. Queen Emma Kaleleonalani lived from 1836 to 1885.
The Allertons aquired Queen Emma's property at Lawai Kai, Kaua'i in 1938; then moved her original cottage from atop a bluff to a beach strand facing the ocean. It was there that they planted a row of Crinum augustum in front of the cottage.
The "Queen Emma Lily" story started from a picture taken of those lilies in front of the cottage, at about 1970.

All of the Crinum lilies are beautiful no matter what they are called!

Aloha, Dave

Ah - the Queen Emma is the GREEN foliage with the purple bloom then. I have that one too LOL.

I visited the Allerton Gardens recently and was so interested in the Queen Emma story - sad to hear it's a myth.

New Madison, OH(Zone 5a)

Don, the story about the tractor was in the magazine. I didn't see it on the website either...so I think your brain is still intact....lol!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

LOL Glad to hear that!LOL
Off to take Patti to see a doctor about removing a gland out of her throat,that is stopping calcium from getting into her body!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I was told the greener foliage of the two (one has lots of purple/burgundy and the second has more green) is called the Princess Beatrice. I have a bunch of Crinum asiatica blooming now...lighter pink than the EB. I love them!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

There gorgeous today!

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

YES THEY ARE!!!!

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks,had my nose stuck in them several times today!!!!

Over the years, I've seen several names, Texas Aggie, Big Red, and Purple Spider. She is an outstanding plant under any name. Mine

Thumbnail by
Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Larry,it's huge,does it die back in the winter?
I see looks to have a trunk on it,how many years have you had that one?

Yes, it does die back, much more tender than other crinumins. I over winter this one in gh. I have had this one several years. They really get set back with cold. I feel they are much like bananas, they don't acclimate to cold. I think when they freeze back, you lose that years bloom. I have others that stay in ground. We have not had much freeze in several years.

Larry

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I too have a few I keep in the greenhouse,but they keep growing and flowering after the first of the year.I keep the greenhouse very warm for the hibiscuses.

Can crinumins be grown from seed?

There are two plants here that I've never learned the name(of). One has lilly-like drooping blooms, and the other's petals are very long and very thin. Big bushy strap leaves. Occasional blooms, very fragrant. Take a lot of abuse. I'll have to take the camera with me...

Yes they grow easily from seed but they take a few years to bloom.

Keaau, HI

Crinums grow fastest from bulblets that grow after the flowers receed, or from root (bulb) division.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.