Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Two

Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Closer

Thumbnail by edric
Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

wow that is so beautiful think you might get some seeds from it?

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Unfortunately, I cut it off when the bees are done, or there would be 500 seedlings in the lawn, and I have over 300 seedlings of other varieties, in pots now, Ed

Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

id like to have some seeds............lol

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Ed - How old do Queens have to be to flower like that? Are there male/female Queens? I have had my two Queens for about 2 years and haven't seen a flower (I guess that's good because I don't want the seeds all over either!).

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Not sure, but water has a lot to do with it, how bout it Palmbob?

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Queens come in only one sex: both (ie. all are both female and male)

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

yes I figured that, but she was wondering how old they have to be to flower, that's why I made the silly remark about allot of water, Ed

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

I know Cycads have male, and female, but are there any palms that do, Ed

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

From what I understand Bismarkia nobilis(sp?) is one.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Hmmmm, interesting. I guess I'm not missing anything by my Queens not flowering. It must get messy if not cut off?!

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Bear in mind it's a sin not to let the honey bees finish first, despite the inch or so deep flowers, and Pensacolagarden, I just realized the last time I cut I missed a couple of strings, so guess what they're all your as soon as they mature I will be happy to ship you some, and yes Lakelly2, I didn't forget about your Pindo seeds, they're almost ready

Thumbnail by edric
Pensacola, FL(Zone 8b)

Wow that would be so great I just moved here and can grow things outdoors that I could not grow outdoors back in NY. I am loving it. Thanks so much.

James

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

photo 2

Thumbnail by edric
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Yes, you can have some Pindo seeds too, Ed

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Ed - Holey Cow!!! That's a bunch of pindo seeds! Where was I yesterday.....???.... oh yeah, I was driving by a restaurant in Titusville and their Pindo Palm was LOADED with seeds. They had already turned orange. Is that the color they are when they are ready for havesting? I almost stopped and snagged a few... but, but, but.... I just couldn't do it! :-)

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Do it it's the best fruit to eat, tastes great, and all palm fruit has special homeopathic properties, Ed

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Speaking of a mess. The bees seem to knock the little flowers into a big pile on the lawn.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2008 10:47 PM

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Now if anybody want seeds - I have several trees like this

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

When I bought this house (in 2004) it was an overgrown jungle with a few wayward queen palms. This one was yellow and dying. It had palm frizzle and my wife said to get rid of it and plant a new one. I wanted to give the old boy or girl a chance and provided lots of food. Within a year the tree was looking healthy and growing new fronds. Now he's just crazy with seed pods coming one after the other.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2008 10:54 PM

Thumbnail by fredrump
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Cool Fred!!!!!!

Ed - I couldn't take them from the restaurant... I'd have to go in and ask. I bet they are gone now though... hmmmm, maybe I'll have to go back. I don't know if I'd EAT them though?! Do they taste good? My cactus are growing fruit right now, but I'm not brave enough to try them. Someone said they are good.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

I would be wary of eating fruit off of a tree I know nothing about. That is, unless the people who care for the tree understand that the fruit is eatable, and have not given the tree any systemic pestasides. That goes for your cactus too. If you are sure the tree and cactus are free of poison, I encourage you to try them both! I have heard that jelly can be made from the pindo fruit.

Hey Ed, what kind of homeopathic health benefits does pindo fruit have for us?
Also, does anyone on the west coast know where there are mature pindo trees in San Diego.

David

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Well, They' re very high in anti-oxidant's, and vitamin-c, last year I eat eight hundred, in a six week period, I sell the seeds on e-bay, but have been eating the fruit all my life, Ed

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I think I'll pass. The cactus fruit actually looks pretty good. Kind of has a "kiwi fruit" type center. But I wonder why the birds are not eating the fruit?? I haven't had this many fruits on the cactus before... it looks pretty. Guess I'd better take a pic.

Grrrrrr,,, my cat has found the fuzzy morning glory tree seeds I have lying on my desk and is playing with them. Better go put them away!

Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Queens look so much better in Florida than in California. I really think that their native habitat - Brazil - is much more humid than here in Calif.. I find that around here, they tend to look thin and frail, while the pics I see from Florida look lush and much more substantial. I like them in Florida, but I really don't care for them in Calif.. Kings do better here for a similar effect, and prices on them are now within reach of average gardeners - I am seeing them used much more in new plantings.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Jungleman - I think, at one time, the "Queen" phase must of gone a little crazy here... because they are everywhere! My neighbor has some old ones that look great... but he takes care of them and his lawn (he's retired) and then I've seen some that always look like a sick stick.... they don't do anything special for them.

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

I totally disagree... So Cal is a much better climate for Queens and I have never seen as healthy and robust Queens as well watered ones in So Cal.. I admit most do NOT water them sufficiently here, but the arid weather makes them look better. I have seen many queens in both Florida and Hawaii and they simply do not compare to a well grown California Queen. They look somewhat stretched and freakish, rarely with the wideness of the leaves you see here, and also rarely with the thickness of the trunks. California is where Queens want to be (if given sufficient water)! Sorry to disagree.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Palmbob - So THAT's why there are sick stick lookin Queen's here! :-) Ours are water hogs... they begin to look droopy if not watered enough.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

How does one know when to pick seeds of Queen palms? Like when are they ready for seeding?

fred

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

They will turn orange and drop. Then you can just pick em up.

Gulf Shores, AL

I live in Gulf Shores AL ... 50 miles west of Pensacola FL ... 5 miles inland from seashore ...
can I grow Queen Palms? am I too far north?
If I can I am intersted in getting some Queen Palm seeds

My King Sago seedlings are doing very good

Ron

Thumbnail by wrw1025
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

yeah i think you can. they grow here and im 12 miles inland and well north of you

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

fredrump, those are alot of seeds.

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

took another shot today

Thumbnail by fredrump
Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

BTW Palmbob says queens don't grow well in Florida. He should see mine. They have a 3'-6" girth at eyelevel and the fronds are huge specimens like those of large Royals. My Royals were decimated by Fay the other day with most fronds blowing off. The queens take these storms with a shrug. The young ones tend to bend and need to be staked as the ground is soaked from 10 inches of water but once their roots take hold they stand tall to the wind.

Fred

Corpus Christi, TX

Fred- Would it be possible to get some of your queen palm seeds when they are ready?

Breezy

Naples, FL(Zone 10b)

Breezy,
send me an email with your address.
fred

Corpus Christi, TX

Is it recommended to plant the queen palm seeds in a potting mixture for palm trees? I have used the potting mixture meant for palms and cactus that you can buy at Home Depot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.