Fuyu persimmons.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

We started eating our Fuyus the 28th of July. This is the earlest yet. They are sooo good.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I can't believe that 149 miles can make that much difference. My Fuyu persimmons are still green, green, green. You need to root cuttings next time you prune and send some this way to trial them. Maybe you have a chimera. Persimmons ripen in the fall.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I may have lots of cuttings tomorrow if the storm continues on the same path.

Or it may be an early fall.

New Iberia, LA

Trois
Here is a picture of my total crop for the year. I planted it last fall and thinned the fruit down to three. Last weekend I found the last one on the ground. Looks like a squirrel took a bite out of it like they do with everything else I grow. Maybe next year.
Oldude

Thumbnail by oldude
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

It's mockingbirds that do that here. I see a bright red Fuyu, go to pick it, and a mocking bird flied. I leave that one and pick the others as they turn orange.

I never have pruned mine. They seem to do so themselves. Sorry you missed out.

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

are they sour? someone told me they are sour

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Even green they are not sour, just hard. They taste best when mushy.
This is only for Fuyus. I have never had a native American Persimmon but have heard they make your mouth pucker before they are fully ripe.

Bettydee could answer that, I bet.

Bettydee, Is there any special time of year to start cuttings? Which parts do you start with?

Thanks

trois

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

American persimmons are astringent until soft ripe. They will make your mouth pucker if eaten too soon. Also unlike many oriental persimmons, sexes are on separate trees.

Persimmons are supposed to be hard to root. I've grown them from seed and I plan to try rooting some shoots that came up from the roots, but I've never tried rooting cuttings. I did discover they are supposed to be difficult to root. Usually, hardwood cuttings are taken in winter after the first hard frost, softwood cuttings in spring and semi-soft cuttings in summer around August. I found a few very good links on propagation that might help. Rooting hormone will help with persimmon cuttings.
http://plantpropagation.com/
http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/pnw0152/pnw0152.html
http://www.rooting-hormones.com/default.htm

I made some interesting discoveries while looking for information on persimmon propagation. I kept running into information on the rootstock used on persimmon and seeing the notation that Fuyu was incompatible with D. Iotus. Apparently there are a number of Fuyu strains, all with slightly different ripening times, and some are compatible with D. Iotus. My Fuyu is on D. Iotus rootstock so I have one of the strains, but not the "true" Fuyu. Do you know what rootstock was used on your Fuyu? I'm now on a quest to fine the "true" Fuyu.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

No idea at all. These were given away by the county as being the best for this area of the Gulf Coast. I will see if the county where we got these has a record.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.