Where to Buy Amaryllis for less than $10 a bulb

Winston Salem, NC(Zone 7b)

Ok, my first candy cane seedlings are doing well and I'm so pumped. Where can I find apple blossoms and other amaryllis for sale this time of year??? Do I have to wait until the Christmas season?

Has anyone seen them in the garden supply stores that aren't $10 a bulb???

Kristi

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

You are really looking for bulbs at the wrong time of the year (in the northern hemisphere). Growers are just digging them about now, putting the bulbs into cold storage for a while, then shipping them for fall sale. You'll start seeing the African cultivars in September. The only time I've seen cheaper bulbs are the ones left over from Xmas, or the smaller sized bulbs for planting outside, that are sometimes found in the spring bulb displays.

Sign up for some of the catalogs now and they should arrive in a couple of weeks. Many of them give a discount for placing an early order. You won't get the bulbs until Fall but you can get plenty of good ones for under $10 plus a discount.

Westford, MA(Zone 5b)

I really had good luck ordering from John Scheepers. Large, big, healthy bulbs. They've got lots to choose from. Good customer service (One time one of the bulbs I got turned out to be another kind they credited me the difference!). Check and see all the great reviews on Garden Watch Dog for this one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.