July Blooms, Part V

We're coming from here - http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/880078/

This is Achimenes 'Purple King'. Quite a lovely bloom, deeper purple than it appears. I can see where a large pot full of this would be stunning!

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Streptocarpus 'Cassandra'. Jan, wasn't it you who wanted one of these? I might have a baby I could send you. Can't recall, but certainly could send you a leaf.

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Streptocarpus 'Jealous Heart' Love this one and it's a prolific bloomer.

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Here's the AV I have growing semi-hydro in very small lava rocks. It's doing pretty well for me. LOL I think it's 'Star Trick'.

Thumbnail by RainGazer

I may have already posted this, but can't remember. It's an Aeschynanthus with pink blooms. I love it! ^_^

Thumbnail by RainGazer

One of the Streps I ordered from Violet Barn right before vacation that ended up almost stewing in the hot window. It's on the bottom shelf of the stand, and therefore is covered in dog hair. Nice that the dog hairs are in such crisp focus... :oP

Streptocarpus 'Bristol's Static Charge'

Thumbnail by RainGazer

An orchid that I bought for $2 back in early spring has finally bloomed! It's some type of Encyclia (evidently reclassified as Anacheilium). A very light green flower. Pretty! ^_^

Thumbnail by RainGazer

Another orchid. Dtps Ching Ann Diamond

Thumbnail by RainGazer

And finally, an Adenium (Desert Rose). ^_^

Thumbnail by RainGazer
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Amy, they are ALL absolutely.....take your breath away.....beautiful!
You are a great grower! Look how happy everything is! WOWZERS..........speechless here :)

Kim

South, TX

Gorgeous flowers!!!

I have a question. I am making a list of pots etc. to order. Has anyone tried Oyama pots? I was just wondering if anyone likes them.

Lilburn, GA

Rain, gorgeous flowers. And I love Adeniums. I have some seedlings that are ready to start flowering.

I have a question regarding the seed tray. Don't they have holes at the bottom? I could not understand why do you need places for the water to come in and out. I have lots of seed trays and that idea looks very interesting.:o)

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Wowser is right, Amy! Love all those orchids, too. I gave my son all my adeniums and I hope he is taking good care of them.

Amy, when I was in Boerne this past week I asked Ken's worker for some of the pink since I accidentally sent it to someone else (LOL). She told me she was getting ready to take cuttings and I couldn't have any to buy. What a dirty trick. Take good care of that one since I thought the one I was sending someone was Mona Lisa.........the leaves look so much alike.

I am really getting into Morning glories. Here is a new kind today.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Here is another pretty soft pink one blooming on variegated foliage.

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello Ladies,
Wow Amy those are beautiful plants....I really like the one called Static . I love morning glories also... I don't have many but one year I will... Really nice... Hey Gail at least you have a reason for not feeling bad as today is a very bad day for me and I am depressed but hey this to shall pass...LOL
Hugs,
Susan

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Missed alot again I see..lol..Even missed Gails coming back..glad you made it there and back safely gail..hope your mouth gets to feeling good as new real soon..Beautiful Blooms Everyone! I love them all but Kim your Watermelon Wine jumped out at me on the other thread..lol..along with Susans Pink Lela..love it Susan!..ooo Ericas Nerys too..and Gails Magnetosphere..and..and..and..lol..I could just sit and admire everyones pretties all day! Amy..you have alot of beauties blooming right now..love them all..that I love that seed tray idea you used on the other thread too..hmm gonna have to try that : )

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I am so sorry Susan that you are having a bummer of a day. Actually, the Naproxen (2 of them) I took are helping greatly and am relaxing sticking leaves of more streps.

Get a good night's sleep, Susan, and tomorrow you may feel differently about the world. I do understand though and hope tomorrow is a good day for you.

I am trying to save every seed I can from these morning glories to share. Get active on the morning glory forum. They are as nice as the people on the AV forum and two people have already sent me seeds for fall. My pods are just now starting to turn brown so I can save the seeds. Did you know that it only takes 40 days for maturation from seed to bloom on a morning glory.....................lots of beauty in a hurry.............

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Someone back at the beginning asked about Amy's cell tray........here is one of mine.......this is a 38 cell tray with the flimsy black tray and clear dome (not in picture) for growing seeds, cuttings, etc..........

I will either use this 38 size or Amy's 72 .....I think hers looks like a 72 cell tray with a dome............you see them at every Lowe's, Home Depot,etc....

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

I just can't believe I have never thought of using something like that!!..so neat..would really save alot of time and looks like it works great!

Whitsett, NC(Zone 8a)

I had purchased a 3-pack of tray/insert/domes from Lowe's early this year for $9.95 . . . I'm hoping maybe they'll start to go on sale soon.

Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't know how I forgot to tell you all this but I have baby tiny seeds coming up... I don't know weather to take the little dome off or leave it on so can anyone help? Oh today is getting to be a better day already Gail ... I never thought of those trays either... I have a few outside that I will have to clean and give them a try... I am not doing any good with rooting at this time seems like everything strep I put down dies... Oh well winter is coming...LOL
Gail I am really glad you are doing so well... It will all be worth it after it is healed....
Hugs,
Susan

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

don't forget that as long as you have the bottom tray and the dome, you can use solo cups that you rinse your mouth out with (after brushing your teeth). They can be found at any grocery store or Walmart and the 3 ounce cups costs about 1.39 for 100 or something like that.......if you have these and not using it makes good sense to use them..I am going to try and save some space by doing it this way.

Kim oh kim!! Remember when you sent a leaf to Space Dust and she kept reverting back to her parentage? Guess what! She really bloomed as a fantasy this week so I took 3 big leaves from her today and stuck them for more babies.

Susan, in the summer time, I just have been only using vermiculite and perlite to propagate anything. I would slowly start moving the dome around just a little bit so the little seedlings don't go into shock.........but don't take the dome off yet...............

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That was a lousy picture because she opened up evidently last week and I didn't see her.

I ran around like a mad woman taking leaves to start. I love this first Sixth Scents and Shenandoah's Something Special. Not many of my streps have too many leaves left on them (LOL)

Thumbnail by gessiegail
Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Morning! I need to check into Daves every couple of days to get my flower "fix"..LOL.Great way to start the day.

Hi Amy,I'm so glad to see you lady...Yes it was me that was wanting a strep cassandra.I saw it at the AV convention that I went to and fell in love.I'm fresh out of trading things right now but maybe you could put a leaf down for me for a spring trade? Wow to all your plants,they look wonderful.you can sure grow the orchids!And the pink is aeschynanthus,oh so pretty.

Hi there Gail,Hope your feeling better..I like the morning glory's too.Are they the japanese ones??

Hi Susan,Hea to your seeds coming up! I love seeing the first bits of green popping up..

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Good Morning Everyone :)

Gail, I just KNEW Spacedust would smarten up after a while *lol* Usually the first few blooms are not much and sometimes really lack luster but as the plant matures the flowers always get better :)

Hope you are feeling better. I know yesterday you were grouchy so I knew not to write etc. *lol* I KNOW what you are like when you are grouchy *lol*

Seeds.......Goodness do I struggle with them! I keep trying different mixes, etc and I just don't seem to "get it". I do everything right (I think) but for some reason, not so much *lol* I have grown a few things from seed but I usually only get 1 plant to make it to maturity. Which is OK, but that isn't the best odds when you plant LOTS of seeds *lol*

So far.......my growing experience........like Susan, I seem to do better in the winter. Now, last winter I thought I was doing awful but compared to how this summer has gone, looking back........my odds were better during our winter. This winter I should do better because this will be my second winter growing *crossing fingers*.

Well, I'm off to see the wizard (off to work)........here's hoping you all have a nice day. ^_^

XO
Kim

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Awwwww Kim! Do you have to tell everyone how grumpy I can get when I either don't have enough sleep or don't feel good..........either one is dangerous for other people around me.
I feel like a new person today......I have turned that big corner I think.

I am really excited about Space Dust so of course I had to take 3 of her leaves to start babies...........along with many more.

Jannich, morning glories are just too much fun. Dmail me and I will send you some. They don't like it under 45 degrees and , if the temps get over 85 (which of course they are now), just plant them where they get filtered sun. In 40 days you shall have flowers.......most are Japanese but some are not.....

Susan, don't get down on yourself in this summer heat. I am convinced that if you can't keep your day and night temps in the house about the same with gessies, you ae going to run into a few problems. Fall won't be far away.

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

I have throughly enjoyed catching up with the July blooms threads after more than a week away. Beautiful pictures and such wonderful friendly conversations that are fun to read!

I love all the gessies (even more sorry my Static Charge died after seeing that bloom picture!!) but I'm also thrilled to see your various morning glories Gail! I love them but they are hard to grow here with our cooler temps and nights that get much cooler.

Here is a morning glory my cousin grows called Milky Way, it is so pretty!

~Brenda

edited to say I am so glad to see that Space Dust will straighten up eventually as I have at least three young plants left that are blooming as the parent right now! I've been giving the ones not blooming true as gifts to friends and family who know nothing of streps and just think the blooms are beautiful. Now I'll have to tell them if the blooms change to fantasy blooms not to freak out. LOL

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 9:58 AM

Thumbnail by bmedel
South, TX

I probably posted this plant, but I just love to get some violets on the thread. I didn't know which picture I liked best so I just put them together.Took these pictures a couple of days ago.

I am trying to order some pots and supplies today. People are are to get on the phone sometimes.

Thumbnail by Sallysblooms
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That Milky Way morning glory is terrific, Brenda. I have just fallen in love with these (it is because they are so easy to grow). I can understand why you don't have enough warm days for them in Idaho. I am getting ready to grow a whole new batch for fall blooming.

I need pots also, Sally. Need to turn my order into Cape Cod soon............I just email my order to John and he confirms it and then I pay by pay pal............

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh I hope someone recognizes this strep. I ordered leaves about 4 or 5 months ago on ebay from Jim King. This has Streaker written on the pot, but I know what Streaker looks like with her blue and pink fantasy. This is just the prettiest bloom I have seen in a while......hoping someone recognizes her

Thumbnail by gessiegail
South, TX

I just ordered from Novosel. He was just out of the office this morning. Glad I got that done. I will order from avplanters.com today also.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I forgot to show you my only Chirita 'Dreamtime' in bloom. That is Salmon Sunset behind her........

I will look at Novosel and see what they carry, Sally.

*****Novosel is expensive compared to other sites, Sally

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 2:04 PM

Thumbnail by gessiegail
South, TX

Yes, some sites, but he is fast. I will order some other things today or tomorrow, whenever the right color pots get delivered to avplanters.com. Today or tomorrow. I needed some larger pots quickly.

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

AWWWW Gail, I just LOVE Dreamtime!

In fact, here is a picture of a baby grown from a leaf that you shared with me a long time ago :) It's the sibling to the one that Brenda posted on the other thread :) We are just keeping it in the family :)

Kim

Thumbnail by kimskreations
Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Hey Brenda, remember the Nematanthus that you said you loved? This one:

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Well, the flowers have gone by and the I thought the sheaths looked ugly so I went to remove them and something kind of startled me. I cut away the sheath and would you look what I found? I'm going to have 3 maybe 4 of them.......must be seedpods. It must be a "selfer" *lol* Woo Hoo.....Now to ask Jon Dixon about how long it takes for a pod to mature *lol* All new to me.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Kim! You go girl with all those seed pods!!!!!!!!!!
I love that bloom on the nematanthus!

Sally, I am going to see if I can find your number in the phone book. I know it is with my AVSA stuff but don't know where that 'stuff' is.............

Hi Kim, how and where do you communicate with Jon Dixon? I sure miss his expert advice on that OTHER forum. I lurk on MANY forums and have not come across anything by him in a long time. BTW you grow beautiful nematanthus. I'm so glad you post about them. Sorry to just barge in, but you mentioning Jon just peaked my curiosity. Hope you don't mind too much.

Lacewing

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Sally, I have plenty of large white plastic pots if you need any before yours get here. I can't find your phone number in the phone book (I don't remember your husband's name)

Kennebunk, ME(Zone 5a)

Lacewing,

Jon is a member of another group that I belong to and we have chatted via e-mail quite a few times :)

Kim

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.