Horse manure, grass clippings and leaves.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

The manure I use is from my stalls. I use pine and hardwood sawdust for bedding. Last year, a lot of my "compost" was fresh and nearly fresh meaning it had had hardly any time to age on the pile. I blanketed my beds with it about 6" deep and turned it just a bit with a pitchfork. I planted in it about 2 weeks later and I had a beautiful garden with hardly any weeds. This year I will be making a big new bed and topping off the old beds with the same compost but most of it had been sitting since last season. I will see if it makes a difference but I don't know how it could be much better than it was last year.

Oak Hill, FL

Cajun- and another old wive's tale (or in this case Granpa's) bites the dust. :-) Since moving back south have had no need to stall the boys- one objects heartily anyways- so never had the chance to prove the info's veracity. Thanks.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I can't wait to get started with my gardening. Spring can't come soon enough for me.

Oak Hill, FL

Hey Cajun, We lived for 10 years near Hopkinsville,Ky. and I well remember the one long month of March/April. It seemed to never end and invariably I would get suckered in by those first warm, sunny days to set out some plants. Best way I know to set up for an ice storm-lol. Don't miss the cold much but sure could find a place here for some of that good, fertile bottom land I used to put my garden in. Spring is coming!!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Hopkinsville sounds familiar. I think there may be somebody here on DG from there. I am not familiar with that area. Where in the state is it located?

It was in the low teens this morning but is supposed to be a bit warmer in the morning and get over 60 during the day. We are having the farrier out in the morning and are going riding in the afternoon. It will keep my mind off not being able to plant yet. These warm days are trying to sucker me into planting but I know more cold weather is on the way.

We are in the mountains of extreme Eastern Ky in the coal fields. Not much top soil here. I have to make it and level spots are at a premium. I gave up flowers and use every available inch to grow ediblies.

Sealy, TX

Hi, everyone. I just dropped in a noticed the subject. I really need some clarification on composting in a barrel. My husband saw those nifty "tumblers" with the handles, etc. and went out and bought 2 big, heavy duty plastic barrel kind of things with lids on them. He wants to make me a composter that I can turn the handle and turn. My question is - how in the world do you layer something like that and when would you turn it? I've got the "stack it this way" down okay, but this seems to be turning me upside down! (little texas humor). I'd appreciate any answers!
dk

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.