New Palms

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

We've got about 11-12 big palms to move to our yard. Yesterday we got one double Christmas palm moved. We are moving them from a yard about 20 miles away and without good equipment, so it's been challenging and back breaking work. Here's the fist one we moved. Got another one just like it to move today.

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

LIFT!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Here she is! Don't mind the mess at the Tiki.... it's all being renovated!

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Already got the 2nd set of Christmas palms in today.... gettin tired!

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful! Without a speck of dirt in the pool! LOL!

Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Beautiful Adonidias, Ed

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks! We moved one more today... a Cuban Royal. We're beat... this is tough work for a couple of out of shape 44 yr olds and my 79 yr old father-in-law!

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Cypress, CA(Zone 10a)

wow is all I can say....I know how your back feels.....I bet you wished you still had that spa sitting there to use tonight......lol.......I love the locations you picked to plant them....
Curt

Ventura, CA(Zone 10b)

very very nice!!

Athens, Greece(Zone 9b)

Beautiful!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Those are some nice size palms-it looks great! I hope they do well, keep us informed. They sure put some shade on your pool!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Radman - LOL... yep! Although, the pool is 96*, I could have used the hot tub. Too bad it didn't work. We've been looking at new ones... ones w/all those fancy jets... wow... expensive! We agonized over the locations... and argued! LOL

Venturan - Basilio - Thanks! I can't believe the difference it makes just from adding those palms! It FEELS like a totally different place!

Tigerlily - Oh yeah,,, I was AMAZED and how much shade we got in the pool.... which was good because that was one of the reasons I didn't go in the pool as much as I could (I burn VERY easily.... I'm really a fair-skinned northern girl!).

We've got about 8 more palms to move... good thing the backyard wraps around and we have the entire front yard. We will put a foxy in line with our two queens on the other side of the pool, then we have a spindle, three more Royals (two are much larger than this one), a bottle neck and some areca's .

If I did this work everyday, I certainly wouldn't be carrying around any excess weight! LOL Of course, we'd probably have the proper equipment too... instead of a pickup truck and a trailer!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

P.S. - I hope they do well too... I've gotten "expert" advice from a lot of people and visited a very successful garden center here. I'm using a product called Bio-Tone (I think). It contains beneficial bacteria. They also had some composted soil that I'm mixing 50/50 w/the existing sand we took out of the hole. Plus, my hubby is taking as large a rootball as he can. It's the right time of year to transplant down here, so I'm crossing my fingers. I expect some "shock" but hope it's minimal.

Athens, Greece(Zone 9b)

Adonidias are great lookers, but the cuban royal is my thing :)

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

basilio - Well, we've got three more of them to move (Cuban Royals)... if they don't kill us moving them!! LOL

Athens, Greece(Zone 9b)

Just imagine you had to move one of those fellas :)

Thumbnail by basilio
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

those Christmas palms are beautiful! What a nice addition to your tropical backyard

your pics remind me of my double Kentia we planted in Dec. of 06. We had to roll ours over the pool!
It's doing great BTW.

Thumbnail by FondOfFronds
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Basilio - LOL... I think I'd throw in the towel on one of those!!! Do they snap really easy when they are that big??

FondofFronds - WOW! I love your pool and the setting!! One of those rolly things would have come in handy this weekend! What's the big palm way in the background (with two trunks)?

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Here's the other side of the pool. These were taken shortly after the mural was done. We now have white french doors instead of the patio door and it looks much better!

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Another view

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

And one more...

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Pasadena, CA(Zone 9b)

LAKelley2 - a bit off topic, but how do you like your solar pool heater? Sounds like it keeps it toasty! Any mechanical issues?

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Jungleman -

Our neighbor sold us the 6 solar panels for $300. My husband rigged up the rest. It works well. Believe it or not, the pool is 96* right now WITHOUT the solar heaters! In the winter time, 6 panels don't heat it up enough (in the high 70's to mid 80's), but putting a cheap solar blanket (from Lowe's) on it, in conjunction with the panels, brings it up close to or over 100* in the winter . Of course, we really don't get in the pool that much in the winter.... unless it's an unusually warm winter.

Soooo, to answer your question... we like the panels. We are not using any extra power and have absolutely no mechanical issues. Since the panels are used, there is one with a tiny pinhole leak that we have to patch about once a year. Now.... we haven't had a hurricane since we installed these, so you might want to ask me about them after one of the storms we'll get sometime in the future! Also, the circulation slows just a tad with the panels on, but we just bought a "creepy" cleaner (Hayward Navigator) and the pool stays exceptionally clean.

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

Hey girl. Beautiful palms so far. I know it's already been said, but what a transformation. They are a perfect matching pair, very healthy and great caliper. And yes, that was a nice whopping root ball. The tiki hut looks awesome! You have a very special, very nice home! Can't wait to see how the rest comes along........ Just a thought, do any of guys have back braces? Everyone thinks that you wear them when you are hurt, but I used to wear one preventatively at my old job and I loved it. Plus it really makes you think about the wasteline, LOL!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

F4F - Thanks! Nope, no back braces. My doc wouldn't let me wear one after my lower lumbar surgery earlier this year. Between the supportive hardware and learning how to move correctly (and regaining muscles strength), I should be fine. Trust me, I am not going thru that surgery again, so I am careful! I doubt I'd ever get my hubby into one! LOL

Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

LAKelley the two-trunked palms in the background are two Canary Island Date Palms, freshly pineappled by the guy who is planting the Kentia in the foreground...

Thumbnail by FondOfFronds
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

Here in FL we use Manganese to take the yellow out of the C.I.D.'s, and Cycads as well, not to say that's the cause there, but very few here are even all green like the ones I took photos of last week, and posted, especially the ones that belong to the city, Ed

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks FoF! They are very pretty!

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Update: The lower fronds on the Christmas palms are turning brown. I expected this... I hope it is normal transplant stress!!

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Oak Hill, FL(Zone 9b)

When a tree service does it they usually cut many fronds off, and then tie it up with rope, and leave it that way for a few days from what I can remember, Ed

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

We moved another Royal today.

This message was edited Aug 3, 2008 1:18 PM

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

One is all we are doing today... it is HOT out!! :-)

Thumbnail by LAKelley2
Oceanside, CA(Zone 10b)

edric might have a point. We transplanted a P. roebelini and our nurseryman told us that they MUST be tied up during a transplant or they will not make it. Don't know if it's true about Royals and for your sake I hope not, they are such pretty palms. good luck.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I don't think fronds 'must' be tied up or many nurserys around here would be losing lots of product. Palms are brought up from Miami w/o fronds being tied and wind-whipped the entire way and they survive. They may look like h8ll for awhile, but they don't die. My palms are looking very good and I have no doubt they'll make it... my hubby is being a nervous nelly, but not me... not anymore. Things are looking good! :-)

Edited to add:
We dug three p. roebellini's w/multiple trunks from the woods of Merritt Island (bought them from a palm grower) and transported them to T'ville and never had a problem. They are thriving in our warm, humid, and hopefully (soon) rainy environment.

Personally, I don't like to see fronds tied up or cut off. I think its too severe and probably done for the convenience of the company doing the moving rather than for the good of the palm. That's just my uneducated opinion, and I could very well be wrong... but I've seen "adult" palms transplanted both ways for the past 27+ yrs I've lived here and do not see a difference in the survivability of the palm.

This message was edited Aug 6, 2008 9:36 PM

Acton, CA(Zone 8b)

Recent studies done by palm expert Don Hodel show that tying up palm fronds does nothing to promote transplanting success and that it's a nursery practice based only on the theory that it keeps the leaves from losing too much moisture. In fact, sometimes tying up fronds, particularly in humid climates, is counter productive allowing excess moisture to collect around the bud, promoting rot.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

Thanks Palmbob, that's good information to know.

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Tying up fronds is not wise (which I actually never knew until now), but cutting off some lower older fronds is in many cases a must after you move field grown palms. The plant will lose more moisture then it can bring in from its cut root mass. If you do not do that, then a foliar protectant should be used. Basically an antitranspirant.

This message was edited Aug 7, 2008 1:38 PM

Sinking spring, PA(Zone 5b)

We don't tie a thing up at the nursery where I work. Also, I thought the only reason fronds are tied up in large palms in a commercial operation are during transport to minimize wind damage to the leaves, or to protect the newly emerging frond in certain species that have more of a long spear that shouldn't get jarred.

Webint- By pruning old leaves the idea of balancing the root to shoot ratio is very good, and applies to any plant, really. However, the anti-transpirant is more of a standard practice in the commercial installation end of things. As a homeowner, you can spritz the leaves early morning and late evening and use that as a simple, practical aid to keep the leaves directly hydrated as best possible within reason and without having to use a chemical you may or may not even know how to use or find. What's most relevant is frequent watering to the roots, and landscape installers cannot rely on the maintenance company or the homeowner to pay attention to the palm in a personal way, and so anti-transpirants are a way to chemically CYA for installers. If you have an ideal setting, which is a lot of hand watering, good soil with a lot of organic matter, perhaps misting, etc. there are some that say that the natural process of shock may be less harmful than applying the anti-transpirant.

Vista, CA(Zone 10a)

Wow. Not sure what you use but most are now concentrated water-based foliar protectants. 100% non-toxic and biodegradable.

Your method works in FL because you do not have dry heat. A freshly transplanted palm can be decimated by a Santa Ana coming in here in SoCal. The anti-transpirants blocks the water loss. I have used some in the past per the suggestions of a long time nurseryman her in Vista. In fact when we moved a large Ficus in a 36 inch box that was tacked down and moved it to my yard, the spray limited leaf drop to almost nill. For those that have moved a Ficus and had major root disturbance while doing so, then they know about leaf drop.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

wow just moving our potted ficus for a day causes leaf drop. it must be some good stuff to keep all those leaves on

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.