Worst Mistakes?

Perkasie, PA(Zone 6b)

There was a thread about biggest mistakes, which seems to have petered out. I'm sure there are many, many more horror stories out there!

As I've made more than a few, I'll start with my top two:

1) HOUTTUYNIA! Pretty, to be sure, but hideously invasive, nearly impossible to get rid of - and to top it off? It stinks! I put some in about 15 years ago, and I'm still fighting. I've covered the stuff with recycled rubber pads, cardboard, you name it.

2) Grasses: Lovely to look at, but not when they start spreading throughout every bed, up between the boards of the deck, in the containters, inside the roses. That many of them are sharp enough to cut flesh when you do try to get rid of them just adds injury to insult.

I guess 'invasives' have been my worst. I can stand a failure [or two, or three], but things I cannot get rid of make me crazy. Better to accidentally kill what I want than to not be able to intentionally kill what I don't want?

So: What deep gardening regrets do you have?

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Starting to regret my wintercreeper euonymus.
I have a huge bed and it all started with some trimmings from a commercial bed over twenty years ago, and patience. I have it all under mt magnolia, which is supposed to be bad, but the mag is misplaced.--(see below) and I don'tr mind if the W E slows it down. The W E is tough as nails. at this point I have to hack it back each year to keep it off the sidewalk.
Bigger regret- planting that Little Gem magnolia, too close to the front window and sidewalk. I had to limb it up--ugh- some of the Tree folks would probably shoot me. I wish I picked a smaller thing for that spot and had the Magnolia in another better place. 15 yrs, its too late to move! No I won't consider megabucks to move it.

Thumbnail by sallyg
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I have lots of "mistakes" - planting Artemesia 'Oriental Limelight' and Petasites japonica 'Purpurea' are the two that come to mind immediately. Five (or more?) years later I'm still fighting a losing battle to remove them from the gardens :(

Sally, your Magnolia "regret" sure hits home with me. I've been trying to get some work done in the gardens and I keep looking at all the trees we planted to provide shade. We've definitely got shade now, but unfortunately a lot of the trees were planted WAY too close to each other :( I've been pruning some of them, at least those I'm tall enough to reach, but I need a tree crew to "fix" some of our mistakes!

sissystars, I've got a few plants on my 'list' that I will be "intentionally" killing soon! LOL I've been dragging my feet, thinking I could plant them somewhere else, but it's getting to the point where it's easier to just dig them up and toss them than fighting to try to save them. I've got enough holes to dig without having to dig more trying to find another home for a plant that will probably need to be moved a second or third time! I think that's my biggest problem, I just can't stand the thought of killing them.

rcn- it doesn't take many trees to mess up the full sun possibilites, or to fill the place with roots! My yard trees were well placed by previuous owner, about the only thing they planted so that was a big plus. They are still on the young side and still need to keep limbing up unti l we also can't reach. Some day I foresee removing two No-way maples, but right now there's a rope swing on one and we can't do it.

I also 'tucked' a nice 'little' redbud back by the veg garden...oops. it'll be easier to move the garden. I wish my shed was in the shade--a waste of full sun!!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

I think most of the worst mistakes are Tree or Invasive Plant issues, unless you have a pond and that is a whole other can of worms.
Here is my worst problem. It is a very ugly clump White Birch. Now I just love White Birches clumping or otherwise. Quite a few years ago on a trip up north to N.Y. state for a visit we picked up a small WB. When I say picked up what I really mean is dug up! We were headed home Ric, me and Jamie who was maybe 12 at the time. We were towing the boat and stopped along side the highway (well off the road) Ric and Jamie jumped over the guardrail and down over the embankment with shovel in hand. After some hard and fast digging they climbed back up the embankment over the guardrail with shovel and tree. Tucked both into the boat and away back down the road we went. We were both thrilled with our new tree and planted it in a place of prominence in the corner of the front yard. Sure that it would look beautiful for years to come. Close to the huge juniper hedge where we thought the white bark would look nice against the silver green color of the juniper and the hedgerow behind that. All went well for a few years and then as the tree got taller the trunks started to bow. First we noticed that the heavy snow or ice would pull them down far enough that they would ice to the top of the cars parked out front. But as soon as they were free up they would pop. Now after more years the 2 front trunks are permanently pulled down. I hate the way this tree looks, it's right in front of the house and Ric says I can't cut it down because he and Jamie dug it up together, and it has sentimental attachments. I have suggested cutting off the 2 front trunks and seeing what would happen, Ric's not sure he's ready to do that. Here is the picture it's a little hard to pick out what is what. There is an old hedge row of trees in the background then there is a small dirt road. The juniper hedge is on this side of the dirt road, you can't really see the road in the picture as it's between the hedgerow and the junipers. The electric lines look very misleading in the picture, but they are along side the dirt road and directly over the juniper hedge. Then you have a 10ft space between the junipers and the WB. You can see how it splits like a V with 2 branches overhanging the parking area out front.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Here is a close up of the trunk area. I went out just last week and trimmed up the two front trunks as I couldn't even get under it to care for the roses that are growing on the section of fence near it. Hey maybe a little off season trimming will open it up to disease. Snicker, snicker.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS
Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

Hi All- I tend to be hit and miss on DG due to travel limitations, but this title certainly caught my eye. And then I gulped when reading about your WB, HollyAnn.

Last summer I got a native WB from my brother's property in PA; just a skinny young one, about 3' tall. Living on a small lot and wanting a view of the tree, I planted it kinda close to our deck and house, approx 10-12' from the deck corner....uh oh. I'm curious whether the trunk had that many branches when your guys dug it up, or did more branches form after it was established? If more appeared after you planted it, then my worst mistake will be digging up a WB and planting it too close to the house!

For what it's worth, the tree is very pretty...but a bad location sure can spoil it. We have a sugar gum tree; and no matter how much shade it provides and how many critters call it home, I detest those gumballs and look forward to having it taken out, hopefully soon!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Hi, Plantmover, I can't remember whether it had more than one trunk when we dug it up and Ric's snoring on the couch, had a busy day. I think it did but will have to ask him. I'm not a real expert on White Birches but I think that there is a Clump White Birch and a single trunk White Birch. If you have the clump type you can easily prune the new trunks when they are small. They come up from the ground at the base of the tree, you'll just have to watch them and you don't have to do it all that often. I have been removing my extra trunks for years. I've stopped removing them last year in preparation of possible removal of the 2 front trunks. Yes it really is a beautiful tree just mine is so out of balance that it really doesn't look nice.

Interesting about the single trunk and clump and good to know they can be pruned out! So far, this tree has just one vertical branch.

Thank you for the response, HollyAnnS; and I hope you're able to find a solution that keeps everyone happy.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
Ric's snoring on the couch

LOL :)) Holly, looks like you've got at least one straight trunk there, why not cut the two trunks to the left - at least you'll still have your "sentimental" tree :) Growing up in Maine, I used to love the white birches but I learned the hard way what a weak tree they are! We had quite a few growing on our property and when the huge ice storm hit back in '98 we lost almost every single one of them - snapped them in half :( Maybe Mother Nature will take care of it for you one of these years!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN, That was my suggestion to Ric, There are 4 bigger trunks and several smaller ones coming on. I had thought maybe we could take the worst 2 out and keep the other 2. But you know even the 2 straighter trunks have some bow in them, just not as bad as the 2 front ones.

I was gonna suggest that if cutting wasn't an option, perhaps you could use the bowing limbs to your advantage by hanging a hammock or chair swing...but then remembered their tendency to be weak. :/

plantmover- I don't blame you for planting a (sweet) gum tree. They have such beautiful fall color, all on one leaf! But I had them in a previous yard. My dream house would have a few extra acre for things like sweetgum, and walnuts, all those things great to look at but so you wouldn't have to walk /garden around them unless you wanted to!
There is a sterile cultivar.sweetgum

Oh, to have a few extra wooded acres--how divine! We visited an estate that had a little bit of everything: woodland, vineyard, pasture, and meadows. The manor house gardens were so well thought out and absolutley gorgeous with seating nooks tucked in everywhere. The veggie garden was in raised beds bordered by espaliered dwarf fruit trees, replete with roaming chickens! It was all so inviting and quaint. I could've spent hours just sitting, taking it all in. With a place like that, housework would cease to exist! :)

stop. you're killing me------------------------

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Quoting:
With a place like that, housework would cease to exist!

Heck, I don't have a "place like that" and my housework has already ceased to exist! LOL Some days I just keep my fingers crossed that no one stops by for a visit - I would be so embarrassed :(

Was thinking about this thread yesterday :( I'm working in an area of the gardens where I did a major planting last year. First mistake, last year was a terrible time to tackle this project - started planting right after heavy rains - too much rain and heavy clay soil = cement! Second mistake - severe drought through the remainder of the summer - add moles/voles to the equation = major loss of plants in that area :( Trying to remedy the situation this year and started replanting this week. No wonder nothing's thriving - the soil is hard as a rock! Realized that stomping on the wet soil after planting to collapse tunnels around the plants turned the soil into cement - it's a wonder anything lived! Trying to remedy the situation and amending the soil in each new hole I dig - but thinking that it will be a miracle if the plants that are already there make it - I should just start all over and dig up every one of them and amend the soil. Probably my "worst mistake" ever :(

rcn- any of US that stops by will spend the whole time out in the garden-no worries!

I can second trying to grow in bad soil. Its a struggle at best for the plants. On top of that, I used to be a very poor fertilizer/amender.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I planted Harry Lauder Walking Stick and other hybred filberts................They made it here about eight or nine years and then went down to a fungi attack that is hitting all filberts. The fungi is hosted by the native filberts so the good word is to expect difficulty with all but native filberts. I chain sawed the affected plants and lost a bundle in the process. The squirels carry the disease as well as the fact it is airborn mostly from the West where I live.

Boo to housework...sally's right! And boo to clay! I'm told our housing development used to be wetlands and clay was brought in by the dump truck loads to form a base for construction. It's not gardener friendly at all. rcn, in the long run, you are probably better off amending now. I thought I had sufficiently amended one of our beds; but as I was digging in it recently, I couldn't believe how hardened it was still. I reached the same conclusion: "it's a wonder anything lived!"

I KNOW it is difficult to do however the best ammendment of all for any soil is fresh manure and leaves followed by a cover crop. Once a five percent organic content is reached leaves, small amounts of compost and mulch will nearly always maintain a good soil for the long run. It is assumed that your compost is manure based and finished for the best condition. Trace elements are usually in good supply as found in clay.

All other ammendments are second best and far behind what the basics will do.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got a clover crop! LOL not exactly intentional...

We had to cut down our "sentimental" weeping willow this spring after repeated attempts to make it straighten up & fly right. DH didn't want me to put stump killer on it... I don't know if he had illusions/delusions that a beautiful tree would somehow sprout up like a phoenix from the ashes or what, but it's a big ball of green shoots now! Actually, it doesn't look half bad. Until I'm ready to put something in that spot (pond? patio?) I might just prune back the willow "ball" and see what happens.

Take that willow bark and make a tea. That tea will contain a dandy rooting hormone as money can buy. Think the source on that was one of the Foxfire books.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

docgipe, it IS difficult to do, amending the soil that is! I'm not very patient - we have amended the soil in numerous areas for gardens, the problem is my plantings have far exceeded the areas amended and I need more space :( Now you'd think with us living in "horse country" (VA Horse Center located nearby) we'd have plenty of manure to amend with, however until we have a small pickup or suitable trailer I'm out of luck! The area I'm working in is small in comparison to others we've planted and as soon as I round the corner on this one I'll have much better soil to work with. Just frustrating and so tempting to just give up on this area and move on to the next! Rick helped out yesterday though, dug my holes twice the size I had prepared, removed the red, sticky clay and transferred rich soil from the fields. We'll add leaves from those we collect every fall from the streets of Lexington and keep our fingers crossed that the worms will do their thing!

For the first twenty years or so on this property I carried two five gallon buckets lined with plastic garbage bags. The horse poop came home three or four gallons at a time in each bucket. We built compost piles with horse poop and leaves also drug home in the trunk of the car or back of the van. That with household waste was all we had untill the kids were out of college and the costs were covered. Then we added the trailer and hitch to the van. In any event we managed to get two or three wheelbarrow loads of compost finished each year and some raw manure on the garden and tilled in each fall. When you add two buckets a week or even one a lot of biology is working for you immediately. I hardly ever went for it. We managed to get most of it while going somewhere else to keep the car expense to a minimum.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly,

I have had a clump Birch for about 25 years. As of this Spring--it is officially dead! ALL 4 main trunks--DEAD!
Yes--the single-stemmed Birch are a different Birch. Sharon (I think..) wrote an article on the different types of Birches last year.

In our hot-weather areas, the clump Birch--also called the River Birch (I think) is the one that can grow here.
What you call "extra trunks" are basal shoots that come up every Spring. I have selectively chosen ONE shoot to grow into the next trunk as one of the older ones dies off. As it is at this time--there is a healthy, developing shoot at the base that I have left to grow. All the others will get cut off.

Here's a picture....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's the old base of the tree. See how it has risen up over the years?

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here it is from the other side. The hollow spots you see at the base are where a trunk used to be and has now rotted out.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

The white birch story is interesting. Often it is really black birch with three seedlings planted in a nursery container. They have been relatively short lived for me. I have planted a few for others that still are hanging onto life. Most have died off. The beautiful native black birch in Pennsylvania are what the native American Indian pealed off to make the white birch bark canoes. They were great native trees that have died off with only small stragley water shoots going up to maybe eight inches in in diameter before they too fail. I have been told that there are a few still growing in Canada but can not confirm that.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

doc--
The Birch tree is SOOOO indigenous in my country of Latvia. Tall and stately--and, single trunked, for sure! There are full groves of it!
I hope you have followed up to my travelogue and pictures on the "Greetings from Latvia" Post. I have now poster 4 Parts--there are at least 2 more to come.

The skin of the Birch has been used for centuries to make Pagan-type shoes, cups, decorative containers and such. I know it is a different Birch than what we can grow here.

While I was in Latvia--at the "Ethnographic Open-Air Museum" (my last picture Post) there was a lady sitting there selling several, cute things made from the bark of the Birch. She showed us her workshop and all what she uses to make napkin rings, and small crosses, and other simple things tourists buy when there.
My Sister bought 4 napkin rings and some other things and this lady was so happy--she said it "Made her day"....

I think to do anything of Birch bark--it has to be the kind of Birch where the bark actually peels off. Is it called a "Paper Birch?
Again, it is the more Northern-most kind of a Birch Tree....NOT the kind we all have here in the Mid Atlantic. Too hot!

I have someone whi is willing to cut down my dead Birch. His wife seems to want the dead, cut-down Birch sections. I do NOT know why????

Being the forever Craft-Oriented person I am--I want to keep some trunk sections of this dead Birch of mine. BOTH skinny and fatter sections....For the skinnier sections--I just don't know anyone who could slice 1/2"-3/8" slices from a Birch stem. Both for coasters and for plaques.

When we were in the Gift Shop at "Ladew Gardens" here in MD--they had a group of 4 or 5 thin slices from some kind of wood--all tied together with a string--selling as coasters for $19.95!!!! Geez! I could make a mint!

Also--slightly diagonally cut slices from a truk, could be used as plaques to put any kind of a decoration on I chose. You know------------This is just how my mind works all the time....
It is the MOTIVATION I lack!!!!

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I'm trying to remember if you have a fireplace... but a small stack of pretty birch logs is a nice decorative touch during the summer when you're not using a fireplace.

Take a section of branch, make a lamp base. Drill out the top some, peel the bark, run the wire down the back and cover it, screw on a wooden base..Well I'm a little fuzzy on the details but...cant't you see people buying those for their country homes

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill,

NO, I don't have a fireplace. Could not afford it (extra $2000) when our house was built in 1969. Seems so trivial now.....

In my Mom's house (she's long deceased), she had a fireplace and NEVER, NEVER used it--but, there was a stack of Birch logs in it at all times.
I agree, it is a wonderful, decorative touch!

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita, Cut straighter branches into pillars use a hole saw and drill a hole in one end and make candles. You can pour wax in them or just set tea lights in the hole. I've seen them in some pretty pricey catalogues. Very nice for a rustic look. Take three of them each a different height and tie them together with a piece of raffia. A larger section of trunk could be shorter and wider with 3 or more holes cut in it. Would make a nice fall centerpiece or outside on a table.
Sally that lamp idea is great.
BTW, Ric just said to me this morning that he is taking the front two trunks off. The comment he made was " I have to remove those trunks that are overhanging the parking area. Did you see how bad they are?"
LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Holly--

Those are all wonderful ideas! I just am NOT all that handy nor do I have the motivation to make these kind of things. I am NOT a "decorator" in any sense of the word! Zero! Zilch!
Everything in my house and garden is, pretty much, status quo!

I DO admire those people who do all that....and for the ideas they can realize.

Thanks, though! maybe, now that Ric is cutting yours down--maybe you can make some of those candle-holders??? Then, post a picture...

Gita.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Gita Just find some handy guy or gal with a saw and drill, trade them some of your wonderful food for a little work. LOL
Yes, I think we will be doing some of that, later this year. I think Ric will wait for fall to take those trunks out. Great winter project and maybe a few Christmas presents could come out of those trunks.
Sally, I think you could have a new idea for an article here. Crafting with nature?

**Someone ** sure could do an article/ many articles on crafting with nature. I'm not crafty person. Well, I can follow instructions to sew, knt crochet....I'd rather leave lamp making articles to somebody else

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Hey--I HAD a handy guy with a saw and a drill......Now someone else has him....

I am proud of myself, though. I have been on my own for 17 years now and i am OK. I don't owe anyone any money, I have a Home and a garden and a job. Don't have a male pal though.....:o(

Holly!! Got any ideas WHERE I can find another handy Guy? You make it sound so simple...
Believe me--I would LOVE to take classes somewhere in "Shop" to learn how to use tools. I feel so inept when it comes to tools! And i work for a HD!????

There is a close-by Senior Center that has a wood shop.....but first, I would have to admit that I am old enough to GO to a Senior center.....Who? ME!!!!

OH, yeah! The topic here is "Worst Mistakes".....Hmmmm...The think I guess I regret the most is planting those two Maples in my back yard. We all had brand new homes and everyone wanted shade the fastest way possible. If I had only known!
Now the roots are the bane of my gardening. It is next to impossible! The roots are all up throughout my back yard lawn and it hurts so much when I step on one--when I am going barefoot...which is usually....

I DO love a shady back yard, though. It has been a great relief in the hot summers.

Gita

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL... save me a section of birch if you've got extra, Holly... I like the candle idea... Simple, and it would give me a good excuse to pick up a set of hole saw drill bits. I need some anyway, I think, because I'd like to make some bird houses this winter.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Sally--

SO! Grow those Gourds that make Bird Houses.....But--I just LOVE anything made of Birch! It is "genetic"......

My friend Helen's DIL wants the cut-down Birch parts--I have yet NO idea what she plans to do with them OR--what parts she actually wants????
But--her Son--will come and cut it down for me just because she wants them......
Works for me!

I DO want to keep a nice, fat stem of it to slice up for plaques. And--a smaller stem part (maybe 3" diameter) for coasters. Have NO idea who would slice these for me? I know my EX could....but we never keep in touch. I think he is on a "tight leash" by Honey.....

When, and IF, I find out just what Helen's Son wants, I may be able to plan better just where--and how--to cut it down.

Will keep you informed....Gita

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.