Opuntia robusta

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

This is the plant that the cactus fruit I posted grows on. Notice the pruning scars. I prune it regularly to keep it from getting too big.

Thumbnail by Dlmcgrw
Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Awesome plant. Can you eat that fruit?
Mike

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

Texasescimo, We eat the fruit, make jam and syrup from it also. The syrup is good on pancakes and icecream. Some people flavor margaritas with it. You do have to deal with the glocids and the hard seeds. Don

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Gee Don, I didn't realize you were so young!

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

2ndchance, LOL That little guy is one of eight Great Grand Chilldren. He is now 7 1/2. He insists on the 1/2. He has lived with us for the last six years and has been a real blessing in our lives. Don

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I can see why you have to prune the cactus. Happy looking GG child. I am 83 and no GGkids. Have 6 Grandchildren but no talk of marriage or children.

Donna

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Good looking boy. He looks happy. You must be doing a good job.
Mike

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

My cactus fruits. VERY YUMMY! It is opuntia but I'm not sure if it is robusta. We call it beavertail cactus. No thorns, flat semioval segments. I pick the fruits with a heavy duty pair of rubber gloves and rub off the fine pricklies before putting the fruits away.

Thumbnail by nomosno
Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

nomosno, Some of the fruit from ficus-indica cultivars are tastier and have a better texture than robusta. From the little I can see in the photo I would suggest yours might be ficus-indica or Indian Fig as a common name.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.