MidAtlantic Shovels

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I need a new shovel. DH convinced me to buy a cheap one last fall (why?????). Of course it broke today. So I want one that will last, but doesn't break the bank. Any suggestions?

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Happy, my favorite shovel/spade is similar to the first one on this page - Floral Shovel http://www.uniontools.com/product.asp?Cid=1&Cat=8. I had one I brought with me from Maine and had picked up at a store similar to Big Lots. I think it was called Lady Gardener or something like that - Rick called it my "pussy" shovel, said you need bigger shovels for man-sized jobs :) LOL When it broke several years ago I absolutely had to find another one. I'll try to remember to look and see if the name is on the handle. I use it for everything! Granted it takes a little longer to dig a big hole but it's perfect for me, lighter in weight and just big enough for a smaller "ladylike" grip :) I think I paid $21.00 for it but that was at a tradeshow and it probably sells for more like $30.00 retail?

Okay, just found this site, again they call it "Floral Shovel" http://www.homegardenandpatio.com/cat.cgi?s=0641126&c=garden_tools_shovels. Yikes!!! If you want one that will last forever - how about fiberglass? $$$$ http://www.gemplers.com/product.aspx?itemNo=148020&s_kwcid=floral%20shovel|976480405

A little more reasonable - at this price you could buy two! http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=949949&Ntt=949949&catalogId=&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=112968%2010000047&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Does Craftsman (Sears) still do a lifetime guarantee on their tools?

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Great suggestions, both; plus I have a $10 coupon at Sears. And we get free 2-day shipping at Amazon for some products.

Debbie, have you found any brand to be especially good or especially bad?

Looking at the "floral shovel", I gather "floral" refers to the size of the blade, and isn't a brand, since both Kodiak and Corona make it. Corona describes it as having a 00 blade. I learned yesterday that the biggest blade is a "2", then there's a 1 and a 0 (so the Floral must be the zero).

Several years ago I was shopping with one of my daughters, and she spotted a very short-handled shovel with a small blade. She urged me to buy it, so I did, mostly to please her. But I have found it incredible useful, even though it looks silly.

I like the idea of the floral shovel, so I think I need both that one plus the full-sized one (for DH and step-son). And there is also a "saw-toothed" shovel which might be great given our very hard rocky soil.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

My current one came from Lowe's and was $4.98 and I haven't broken it yet...I found that, grabbed it and walked around the store after that practically whistlng...(Love Lowe's!) Regular wooden handle, long, with round point. Before that had an Ace fiberglass handle one, but broke the handle- don't think it was as strong as wood after all. At least not the Ace brand one. Woulda been fine if I didn't try prying roots or something.

Also have one with 'lady' size round head, great for fooling around in the perennials. got at Southern States store.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

We've purchased short handled "real" shovels for our young niece & nephew, and also recently got a longer handled "regular" shovel with a more petite blade for their big sister... they love having shovels that work in sizes they can handle!

That smaller-bladed shovel came from either Lowe's or Home Depot. The quality looked OK, but it didn't come with a lifetime guarantee, just a regular wood handle... price was maybe around $15.

Yep the floral one, very handy. I also have one of the short handle mini's--it is handy when the others are lost in the yard! but mainly I bought it for kid use. Long handle much better.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't know actually if we paid as much as $15 for it, but I know it wasn't more than that... may have been less... with Sally's report, check Lowe's first, LOL.

we're gonna be cross posting all morning?? LOL
I would use the Sears ten bucks--if there's nothing else you need from there right now.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

Sears probably has some decent Craftsman branded shovels. I once purchased a fiberglass handled shovel and I don't plan on buying another one. The handle flexed too much and handle to shovel connection broke in the first 6 months. I recently lost my regular digging shovel and I purchased a replacement at Lowes for around $18. I think it was a Ridgid branded one. I know it has a lifetime warranty...maybe even made in the USA.

This looks like it: http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/Digging-Shovel---Wood-Handle/EN/index.htm

- Brent

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you all -- this is very reassuring. I thought I was heading towards on of those chic ultra-expensive British shovels. Amazon has a Fiskar's shovel that got good reviews. I might try that. So glad to learn (before I bought it) that fiberglass hasn't panned out to be as strong as the reports indicated.

I like the idea of USA-made. Thanks for reminding me about that, Brent! I wish we had a near-by Lowes.

Has anyone use a sawtoothed shovel? I can't decide whether that is a gimmick, or a real boon.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I have two shovels. One is a $3 one I got years ago. The handle split, I wrapped it with duct tape and it's still going strong. The other is one of the ones with a long, skinny blade and it's great for digging in rocky soil, Happy. Apparently they're called drain spades.

This is the one I have:
http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=229832-302-1546300&lpage=none

I think if you get anything in the $20-$25 range you'll be getting a decent shovel. I agree on wooden handles being better. Look at the grain on the handle. Make sure it's running straight up and down the handle.

I haven't tried the toothed shovels but I think they would be better for cutting through sod than getting through rocks.

You know what works great for digging in rocky soil? A pressure washer. Just start the hole and then blast it bigger with the pressure washer. That's how our pond was dug. We have used a digging bar too. They're not expensive. It's just a long, skinny, heavy iron bar and will split right through rocks.

I have a Craftsman digging fork I bought 30 years ago that is still fine. Be sure you hang onto your receipt although they'll replace any hand tool where you can still read the Craftsman label. I assume they're stilling doing that and if they are, that would by far be your best bet.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I've also seen the "drain spade" referred to as a "transplant shovel." At least it looks like the same thing.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I really like mine. It's great too when you're trying to dig a plant for dividing without disturbing other plants nearby.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Hmm. I'm thinking about this one: http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-96546935-Transplanting-Spade-9654/dp/B000F95D0I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=garden&qid=1216659188&sr=1-1. And then I need a root pruning saw.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

This past Spring, our son actually broke the wooden handle to our shovel when trying to dig up a clump of Sweet Autumn Clematis to remove it from the garden. So, off I went to our local Home Depot store to try and find another shovel to replace it. I purchased one with a very sturdy wooden handle and the shovel had a serrated tip (saw tooth), which is very helpful when digging in our clay soil. It think I paid around $15.00-$20.00. I've been happy with it ever since.

P.S. It's the long handle type of shovel.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2008 1:16 PM

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You can't go wrong with Fiskars. I can't imagine a steel handle would ever break. See that Fiskars trowel in the list of other Fiskars items below that they're selling for almost $8? I got that at Walmart for $3.97. They have a lot of the Fiskars tools for great prices.

Happy, did you see the $10 off special below? If you spend $50, you could save a little bit. I got a pair of Fiskars garden scissors on sale last year and I love them.

Oh, my gosh. I just did a search to see if anyone had a better price. Good old Merrifield Garden Center is selling the same spade for guess how much? $79.99. They're nuts.

You all do know you can buy replacement handles for shovels and other tools, don't you? If it's a good tool, it's a lot cheaper to replace the handle than to buy a new tool.

Nope, had no idea that you could buy replacement handles for shovels. However, our shovel broke in a most peculiar place, which was right in the middle of the handle. How would you go about separating the handle from the shovel? There are no screws to unscrew. Can you tell that I'm not the most mechanically inclined person??? :~)

Shenandoah Valley, VA

That's usually where they break. It's not that hard. Here's instructions. (If you have a Dremel, use the cutting wheel to cut the head off the rivet. It works like a charm.)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journal/how_to/4217173.html

If you ever notice a split in a tool handle, wrap it well and tightly with duct tape. That will usually keep it from breaking all the way. You can use a little wood glue too to help hold it.

Thanks so much for the link! I'll definitely give it a try if this shovel breaks.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Happy, finally looked at the label on my shovel - Kodiak Floral Shovel http://www.homegardenandpatio.com/cat.cgi?s=0641126&c=garden_tools_shovels. I can't rave enough about this type of shovel! I've got a "drain spade" or "transplant shovel" and although it comes in handy every so often, I rarely use it - probably because the red clay is so tough to dig that deep :(

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thank you RCN. I am so in debt to you!

Is Kodiak part of the brand name, or is that the "type" of shovel? I found what might be the same thing at Amazon for less -- http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=kodiak+floral+shovel&x=0&y=0 -- but the label looks different. Anyway, I'm buying one pronto. I am guessing it is an "Ames" brand for garden tools. See http://www.amazon.com/Temper-Kodiak-Shank-patterned-52-Inch-1849000/dp/B00004S1RN/ref=sr_1_6_s9_rk?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&s9r=8a10d2bf128882cc0112941f24fb0065&itemPosition=6&qid=1217166415&sr=1-6

And then Amazon had a slightly different version: http://www.amazon.com/Temper-Kodiak-Shovel-30-Inch-1309600/dp/B000DCORJ0/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&m=A3ONVYY4BUAORQ&s=generic&qid=1217165916&sr=1-6. This one has a shorter handle.

Maybe it doesn't matter.

This message was edited Jul 27, 2008 9:51 AM

I do like the floral-type shovel--the blade only being about 8 inches long 6-8 inches wide, its bigger than a hand trowel--so some tasks you can remain standing--I already see/ feel the desire to decrease my bending and crouching--LOL

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Happy, sorry it took so long, I had to check the label again! Label says "Kodiak" but in the small print it indicates "Ames" so they must be the manufacturer. The one in your link with the shorter handle looks like a wider blade? That's the best thing about the floral shovel, it's like a big trowel on the end of a stick! LOL It takes a smaller 'bite' out of the dirt than a larger shovel but so much lighter and easier to use, and definitely go with the longer handle, it will save your back :)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I saw a floral shoval at the store yesterday and bought it -- it was a "Union", not an "Ames", but there it was so I hope it was well-made -- I had planned to mail order it but that would tack on shipping. I am delighted with it! I didn't even know this existed until you mentioned it!

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

The big box store shovels are more than fine for most gardeners. If you want the best go to mail order and expect to pay up to a hundred bucks for the very finest. The handles can be replaced but it pays only on the very expensive imported English quality tools. Johny's Seed Co. lists a few of the finest available. They are quality supreme. Even so they are not idiot proof handles.

My occasional hired help get handed the big box store tools. They break them and on rare occasion they steal them. That's what employees do these days if not always. My personal stock better tools are locked up in my shed for my use. My ears can hear a handle going fifty yards away.....where upon I also often see the reason why.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Doc! Sorry to go O/T, but I know you were snapping away with your camera at the winter seed swap party... please see my new thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/884856/

(I've got almost a complete lack of photos from DG events that I've hosted, and I need some images for a pair of articles I'm writing on how to host an easy DG gathering! LOL)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.