Fall RU-Plants

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

This thread is for plants being brought to the RU. For you newcomers, everyone brings plants that they have extras, take cuttings of, or go buy just for this event. Seeds welcome also. You will leave with more plants than you bring to the RU. :~)

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Well I will have some hostas and maybe some Iris's. I have never diveded plants before so I need to do some research before hand. I won't have a lot of plants because this is my first year growing them and I have nothing to divide. However if somebody wants be to pick some Dalilies up at that sale I am going to let me know.

If you find any daylilies at the sale with Arabian in it's name, I will take it. :~)

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Not a problem.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Pepper, did you say you DID get in on the lily co-op? Lorraine was telling us about it on another thread... I think it was Lorraine..

Sarasota, FL

Hey all, I will bring double pink, double red and double purple altheas (rose of sharon)
I will see what else I can hunt up around the place to take.
Can't wait to meet all my fellow gardeners.
Oh, I have a silk lilac tree. There are seeds on it. Does anyone know if they can be gathered and planted?
If they can be is anyone interested in some?
Steph

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

ALLENME--- As far as Hosta go look for eyes that tend to be a bit apart from the rest of the plants eyes. Depending on the hosta you have that might be one to many. Just take a sharp knife( about the size of a butcher knife and cut through the soil between. Pot it up in good soil right away and water it. That is the way I take most of mine. That way I do not distrurb the rest of the plant. I have been deviding,potting and moving hosta right through the heat. I have 55 in pots right now that are ear marked for a charity sale for the school district next year. Hosta are really very easy to devide. If you want you can dig the whole plnt up and just devide it into pieces. But for the reason your intending try to get some root with each piece. If the plant has been in the same spot for sometime it might just fall apart in places making it easier.

AuntB, I didn't make it in on the co-op.

I will have 3, maybe 4 Southern Magnolias to give away at the RU. Colors of blooms unknown because they are cuttings taken from the mags at work, then they rearranged all of the cuttings to the point that they didn't even know what was what.

I will also have freebies from work and if anyone wants seeds from my sneezeweed I can gather seeds from it too. It is the Mardi Gras cultivar and a butterfly magnet.

If anyone has Jessamine, Margarite I would love a cutting. I lost mine a few weeks ago. I would also love to have a thornless blackberry. :~)

This message was edited Aug 4, 2008 8:51 PM

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Pepper called me today. Her computer is down again so everyone needs to help keep track of what is going on for her. I'm not seeing much activity on this thread or the others either for that matter. Closer to RU date activity and postings will increase.

Linda(?)I still have your elderberry in the pot. I can get more if they are wanted. Also thorned blackberry starts. Domestic type, very large sweet berries. They are trying to take over the grape rows & I have to remove them. They will probably have very good roots.

GOD bless and keep each of you.

(Cathy), MO

Amanda I can bring you some thornless blackberry starts

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Evamae brought me three of the blackberries and they have big berries on them and they are healthy they were trying to bloom in the pot she brought them in

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Dave, they are the thorny ones aren't they? Do you want more? They are trying to take over the grape row and there are a lot of plants that must be removed. Please let me know asap so I don't give them away to someone else.

AuntieB, I have thousands of hollyhock seeds I can bring as well as all the ones from the RU at my house last fall. Mine are all perennials. I don't know about the ones brought by others to the RU.

GOD bless & keep each of you.

Jasper Co., MO(Zone 6b)

It was me all the hollyhock seeds and I still have alot of it now....

I'm not coming this time cause I has been sick over a month which I got virus around here and got medicine for it hope I get well in 10 days...

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Aw, Rusty, I'm so sorry you've been sick. We will miss you at the RU. MY DD in KC had some congestion/ flu or a cold or something that bothered her for weeks this summer.. I hope you are feeling better. LeafLady, thank you, I'll take some of your perennial ones. Guess I'll have a lot of seed too, IF I can get some to grow for me next year.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Rusty, I'm so sorry to hear you are still sick. I pray the medicine helps. Not much available to fight viruses.

I'll bring plenty of hollyhock seeds, AuntieB and maybe even some soil for you. They are weeds here. I have been told by many that they are hard to grow.

Pepper called again. She got something her eye that scratched it badly so she had to go home from work about 2. It is the power supply that is out on her computer. They will order the new one tomorrow and she should have it back by next weekend.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Ouch, scratched eyes can be painful.. Sorry Pepper. Thanks for keeping us informed, EvaMae.. Next weekend?? Argh! That's a long time to be without... she's been plagued by computer issues this summer... hoping for a speedy recovery to her eye and computer.

Humansville, MO

hi
here is my new planter
elle

Thumbnail by ellesgh
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Nice, Elle.

Time to start potting things up for the RU. That's so I'll have a better chance of getting it all done.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Would anyone be interested in some Iris's. I don't know the name but they are light blue with a yellow beard and they are tall. Also does anyone want to trade some Canna's for some Elephant ears? I planted too many bulbs for the area and I think next year I would like some color there a long with one elephant ear plant.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Alan, I have iris out there waiting on me, but I'm sure someone would snatch them up at the ru.. I'm bringing some ee's, and I love canna's so you got yourself a deal. For sure I have more of the Limezinger and Illustris... I'll have coleus, iris, some grasses I didn't get in the ground, liriope, a few brugmansia and who knows what else, begonias?. Here's the Illustris, I keep them in that big pot yr round. It's in a dim part of the basement for winter, I water it 2 or 3 times over winter, it dies back but come spring when I set the pot out, it is soon full and pretty. It will also grow in water, sun or shade. The leaves seem darker when they get more sun.

Thumbnail by AuntB
Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I just talked to Pepper. The power source came in but the computer still isn't working. Now they are thinking it might be the hard drive. They should know by the middle of the week and have it back to her by the end of the week. Keep her in your prayers.

Allenme, pepper will trade some nice cultivars of canna for the elephant ears. She has Tropicana and some Richard Wallace for sure.

I'd like a few of the iris you described. Not too many, just 4 or 5 nice rhizomes is plenty. They multiple so rapidly.

Dave, I potted up several roots of the blackberries. I cut some of the canes into short pieces and buried them with just leaves showing. I made sure there were at least 2 nodes to make roots. I have a lot more to get dug for you that will have roots.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Well hopefully my ears are easy to divide. I only need one bulb for my area and this year I planted three. So I will have two for sure and then well see what kind divisions I can do. I am looking for some Cannas that will have big red blooms. Or I would like something with dark leaves to contrast with my single elephant ear that I will plant next year. Should I dig up my iris's now and pot them or could I dig up a clump the day of and bing it in a bucket becuase I have never divided iris's before.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Elle I meant to tell you I love your little teapot planter.. Poor Pepper, off line.. no fun hope her scratched eye is healed. I'll bring some extra ee's for her, too. Allan, if you did the clump and bring it (not soggy if possible), we'll show you how them divide them up.. They are pretty tough, so even if you dig a little sooner than the day of the ru, they should be fine. I don't think you need to go to the extra work and expense of potting them up, they can go from the RU to a grocery bag and to someones yard in "corm" form.. NOW, I'm not an iris expert, but Pepper is offline, maybe Leaflady or someone will confirm my thoughts. What fun you must be having making the place your home!

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Allenme, in this climate you can dig the iris anytime and they will do fine. I found some rhizomes lying on top of the ground with new sprouts coming up. I had dug them a couple months ago to give to a neighbor & they fell off the box when he picked it up. Iris are very forgiving plants.

Allanme, I will give you a few Tropicannas and some red ones. My Richard Wallace I just got in a trade but I might have one or 2 extras.

I have a few zinnas, a couple small ees, butterfly bushes, cauliflower, broccoli, pansy, violas, and I think a few other plants that I am bringing.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

Anybody want any brugmansia???

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Hardy or nonhardy? What color are the blooms. I have a white one that reseeds every year. It is in full bloom now but I didn't notice whether or not it has seed pods at this time. If it is any color but white I would love seeds or rooted starts.

I"m getting excited. See you on Saturday, Bonnie.

Should all be hardy especially if planted right away. I have one or 2 called peacock that only get to 5 ft tall and another one that is a dark purple but I can't remember the name of it at the moment.

Just FYI on the plants. We gonna set the plants there in front of the house in a partly empty flower bed and around a tree if we need too.

(Louise) Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

I am bringing a bunch of cuttings so please bring something that you can tote cuttings home in. I have houseplants and am bringing some clematis cuttings if someone wants to play with rooting them this winter.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

EvaMae, they are not hardy, these are the ones that the bloom hang down, they would have to be grown out a little over winter, potted up to a big pot next spring, then you could winter over dormant in an area protected from freezing temps.. if you have any seed pods on your white busy one, could you snag one for me? thx so much.. Louise I'm THRILLED you are coming and I've got that big variegated leaf brug just begging to come live with you... I'll bring some cups or something for cuttings to go home in, I'll have lots of pretty coleus I'm cutting, some grasses, lilirope (need to be divided by someone stronger than me) seeds and who knows what else. Any body for some mother of thousands??

If I don't have that one I will take some Bonnie. I have kalanchoe tubiflorum, very pretty peach bell shape flowers in winter. I can bring a bunch of those. I am bringing a huge bunch of cuttings from my scented geranium. Mine is two feet high by three feet wide and needs pruning before winter. It is a massive scented geranium. Biggest one I have ever seen.

here is a pic of my scented geranium I will be bringing lots of cuttings!

Thumbnail by lavender4ever
Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

How should I dig up my elephant ears? Any advice since I have never done this before.

On the ee's just cut off the foilage and dig up the bulbs. Don't worry about making sure there are alot of roots. They root easily. The ones you want to keep just go ahead and clean up and store for the winter if you dig them up with the others.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

If somebody would like i could go to this Daylily farm and pick some plants up on my way. here is their website.

http://www.mcconnells-plantland.com/

The ones I liked best cost more than I would ever spend on them. lol.

NE, KS(Zone 5b)

What kind of ee's do you have, Allan? regular ones like bulbs you get at wally world?

Kansas City (Joyce), MO(Zone 5a)

boohoo....I am so sad I will be missing the ru.....dang!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.