Hello Guys, Can you tell me..............

North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

SOLVED SOLVED SOLVED

Hi all,

Can you tell me if this mottoling of the leaves in my Arum's are normal or is something attacking my plant?

If so, what can I do about it and should I seperate now or wait until I find out what this is?

They were growning so beautiful and I was so proud of them.

Thanks Heaps,
Debi

This message was edited Feb 11, 2009 4:58 PM

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Robertstown, Australia(Zone 10a)

Hi Debi,
Wow that IS weird, A. dioscorides is supposed to have spotted flowers not leaves. It could be something cultural - water spots on leaves left in direct sun can cause localised burning like that but it is probably a virus. Now DON'T PANIC it is also probably harmless, if unsightly. I would cut off and put the most mottled leaf in the trash; actually, if I had a choice I would burn it, but that is a bit awkward nowadays! The plant won't miss one leaf at this stage of growth in any case. Just keep an eye on the plants for further developments.

Have you been feeding the plants? If so, with what, how often, and what strength? Information is always useful!

Here is a picture of my Arums and their friends which I took just before the house move. Left to right the big green pots at the front are A. dioscorides, Dracunculus vulgaris, and Arum palaestinum which has pure black flowers. The big pots at the back are Arum italicum and a second pot of A. palaestinum. Off to the left, mostly out of shot, there are three more pots the same size; two more of the Dracunculus and one more of the spotted Arum. All of these are species which will grow through the winter, flower in the spring (once the tubers are big enough) and then go dormant for the summer.

This, I must say is the best colour I have ever had on the leaves. I am trialling a new bulb planting product this year and I am wondering if that is the cause. I am going to wait until the end of the season and then look at my overall results both with and without the new stuff. If I find in favour, I will be telling everyone all about it, you betcha!

TTFN, KK.

Thumbnail by Kaelkitty
North Ipswich, Qld, Australia

Hey Mate,

I haven't been around much lately, family health scares, and the rain and cold, sook aren't I. LOL

My Arum's have loved growing where they are, they have been there since planting.

They get the Morning Sun, no afternoon sun at all. I have just resently fertilized with Thrive Liquid at the strength suggested.

When I water them, I lever wet the leaves and water from below the plant. I do not let it sit in water. I talk to them every morning with my cup of coffee. (Just as well I don't sing to them!) LOL

There has been something nibbling one leaf, but not to bad. I keep a close eye on them as I love them, for some reason they have become one of my Fav's and I haven't even seen them flower as yet???????

That's about all I can think of for now, I think it is because I have planted them from seed.

Your "sometimes missing" Mate,

Debi & Sheila.

P.S. My "un-named" Bromelaid has flowered. Isn't it just beautiful, I love nature................

Thumbnail by Degarotty
Louisville, KY

The leaf spotting does not look to be virus related it could be brought on from a number of things. I notice that their are non or few on the larger leaves this is a good sign as small young leaves can be tender. It could be one of a number of things.

foliage fungus easy to take care of air flow and drying off will help prevent.
bugs it does not look like bug damage but under the leaf maybe a pest
how water at times people use water hoses that have heated up in the sun the hot water will cause spotting like this.
water drops in full sun can also cause some yellowing as can chemical burns.

Very hard to tell for sure but these are the most common reasons for the spots. In any case I don't think it is threating, if action is taken as told above to help prevent it anymore.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.