Seaberry

Greensburg, PA

Anybody growing seaberry? Here's a pic of my ripening fruit this year.

Thumbnail by krowten
Anna, IL

Hi
I've been reading about Seaberries for some time. How do you use them, are they good to eat fresh, how long until they bear, any special growing needs?
RED

Greensburg, PA

Red, I've been eating mine fresh, but it is a good variety and I let it ripen well. Mostly a nibble food for me so far. Most people use it for juice from what I've read. Taste for me is a combination of orange juice and passion fruit, a bit on the tart side unless completely ripe. What you may not realize is it is a very beautiful bush, with long thin leaves that are silvery. Some of the buckthorns are sold just for appearance. If you decide to get some, I would strongly advise getting a quality named variety if your interest is in fruit. The fruit on the named varieties is much larger than the common form. If you should happen to buy some and have a variety I don't have, I'd be interested in trading down the road. They are easy to propagate. I have three different kinds of female, only 2 producing so far, as well as a very fertile male.

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

I planted some here in Texas. I dont know their chill requirement or if it will be met here. They seem to take the heat but not as well as the natives. We have had over thirty 100 degree days so far. Breaking records. If you know the chill requirement, please let me know.

Greensburg, PA

I do not know chill requirements, if any, but this is supposed to be a cold climate plant. I'll see if I can find out. Do you know the varieties you planted?

Greensburg, PA

I found one reference indicating 700-1500 chill hours.

Here is also an interesting document:

http://seabuckthorn.com/sbtprodguide.pdf

San Marcos, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow! Excellent link.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.