I need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellenboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I'm hope one of you has heard of this before and KNOWS HOW TO CONROL IT !! I have planted about 100 pots of different sedums and hens and chicks, well I just went to check a pot and it was growing to the ground, which should be impossible because I only planted them in the last month or so, well I found what looks like root growth nice and white root like stuff growing in the bottom of the pots, BUT its not the roots! Its some sort of growth all on its own and has no upper growth ( like no plant on top) I remember a bag of compost I bought that had all kinds of ( what I thought were roots) in it, I just thought they were dead and scooped all of the stuff out I THOUGHT, but Im wondeering what this is, it's even running under ground from one pot to another. I'd really appreciate it if anyone has an idea what this is or were I could look to get some info! thanks

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I don't remember what they call it, you get that in mulch sometimes too. Just scrap it off or dig it out and throw it away.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Maybe its a fungus, like jen is describing sounds like. I think harmless. You're sure the root s aren't attached to the plant in the pot? It s possible to root out the bottom of the pot in a month- I had some root out the bottom already, just because I half-buried them.

Or tree roots coming up. Tree roots would probably be pretty tough kind of wiry.

Ellenboro, NC(Zone 7b)

I took a sample of it into the local County extension office and they had no clue as to what it is. It so far does not affect the plant, I was wondering if there is a form of Dodder that grows under ground but cant find any info. IT looks just like a regular root system but there is no vegetative growth on it !!

Thumbnail by megano24

Well, sure is odd. You might try the Plant ID forum, put that picture in. As flowerjen has seen it in mulch before, somebody should know what it is.

Ellenboro, NC(Zone 7b)

sallyg thanks I'll try that. it sure is an agressive thing, a real bother!

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You sure it's not just grass roots? If they've been buried in the dirt, they wouldn't show any green.

Ellenboro, NC(Zone 7b)

hart at first I did think that was what it was. It looks a lot like a creeping red fescue root system, but its not, when I went to the county extension office they confirmed that it wasn't. We have a really good bunch of agents here. The stupid thing is I have an AA in horticulture and my professor would constantly stress the need for sterilizing soil, pots, and everything, that was sort of his golden rule, and I'm paying the price now for not listening!

well, heh heh I have never sterilized a thing and never seen that! Then maybe I have but didn't give it much thought, just tossed as some presumed tree or grass roots.

Ellenboro, NC(Zone 7b)

sallyg truthfully if I saw this in a pot in a garden center or some where I would think that it was a really healthy plants root system and buy it!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.