Pears Are "Cracking"! HELP!

Bulls Gap, TN(Zone 6a)

My old-fashioned pear tree (probably a Bartlett) put on a lot of fruit this year...about 50% of it looks great...and the other 50% looks like the photo. The cracks are not wet or oozing. They are dry to the touch...the pear is still hard, and there is no odor of rotting fruit. No possible culprits are visible and I have sprayed on schedule. I'm afraid that these damaged pears are going to attract the recently emerged Junebugs and a host of others. Can anyone help me with identification and the small hope of protecting the remainder of "healthy" pears? Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Laura

Thumbnail by Echo4u
Baltimore, MD

Echo, fruit usually cracks because it had too little water and then it gets drenched and the excess water splits the skins since the fruit grows too fast. I had half the apricots on one of my trees split a few days ago. There isn't much to do about it, other than varieties splitting every year should be removed.

Scott

Bulls Gap, TN(Zone 6a)

Thank you Scott.
If i water the pear tree on a regular basis for the rest of the growing season...do you suppose I can save the rest of the pears?

Baltimore, MD

I have found fruit cracking to be a very uncommon event so it probably will not happen again this summer.. but that is just based on my experience. I never had an apricot crack until a week ago -- I think a lot of heavy rains came through after a period of relative dryness, and you may have gotten the same.

Scott

Anna, IL

We just had a lot of rain, thank the Lord, but it did cause my Starks Delicious plums and my Santa Rosas to crack. How are your pears doing? Are they still cracking?
RED

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.