Another Canna seed question please

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay, thanks! I'm trying to trade some rhizomes too. I'll check it out.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

Can the seeds be nicked anywhere or is there anywhere I should avoid nicking?

Central Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

They can be nicked anywhere to the best of my knowledge. But I usally do it on the long side because it's easier for me.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

I nicked all over the place and it made no difference, they all did fine!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I'll do it tonight!

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

I actually got it done tonight. They are currently soaking. I'll probably plant them Thurs.

Thanks again, David

San Diego, CA(Zone 10b)

Make sure you see the white "thingy" when you nick the seeds. (sorry folks, what is that called?) : )

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9b)

I think I did it right. When I was filing, there seemed to be two layers. Now that they are soaking, the first layer is lifting. The second layer was thicker and once filed through exposed an opaque center. I filed till the white spot was about the size of the tip of a ballpoint pen.

David

Charlotte, NC

I bought some dwarf canna rhizomes and planted them in a pot that was about 12 inches deep. Only about four of the five bloomed at all and that was only once all summer. They were in full sun and were watered frequently. What did do wrong?

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

David, I think you need to make that a little bit bigger. Cannas from seed are funny. I planted 12 last winter and only 8 made it and out of those only 6 bloomed so you just take chances with them. You need to keep the soiless mix moist and if it starts to mold put sand on th top. BEV Here is my first baby only 18 inches tall in the ground and I got 4 rizomes from her.

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Crestview, FL

Dragonfly: What a gorgeous canna. Mine have sprung up, it took a while; but you can't rush them sometimes. You just gotta be patient. I transplanted all of them into the ground and they finally made themselves at home in the beds, no blooms yet; but then again, it's coming fall so don't expect that til Spring. All my cannas are confused right now, as they are experiencing new growth and dying back, due to the hot/cold weather we are having right now. I've been going from AC/heat constantly lately.
joy112854

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

Joy you do know that any canna that you grow from seed is a complete new plant don't you. It takes three yrs for them to stablize. You can patent them and name them if you want. I just can't wait to see what this one will do the next two yrs. I don't have the resourses to patent but will enjoy them. I named this one "Bev's Beauty" I have a couple others that are very nice too. Here is one. BEV This is" Lemonaide"

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

This one is "Lemon Freckles"

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

I have one that had 4 differant colors on it that I call "Fred & Ester"

Thumbnail by dragonfly62
Crestview, FL

All three of those are just beautiful. I love cannas, they are not fussy, look beautiful and give me plenty of blooms all year long except this time of year.
joy112854

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.