CULINARY HERBS

Yes, an open hillside with sometimes strong winds.

Middleburgh, NY

Potagere, we have strong winds here on the hill top as well. French tarragon needs well drained soil and can get crown rot if water pools in its center or ice builds up in the center (snow is fine). I have three separate patches of tarragon and all do very well. It dies back to the roots each year, but come spring, bounces right up.

Maybe I'll buy another and try again. I'm afraid to leave my 3-yr-old plant out and lose it after 2 winters indoors!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Nannie,

The Master Gardeners are having a meeting tomorrow night regarding our Fall plant sale--will let you know the results.
Personal plans are:

ASAFOETEDA
Angelica Angelica archangelica
Anise Pimpinella anisum
Anise-Hyssop Agastache foeniculum
BORAGE Borago officinalis
Caraway Oreomyrrhis eriopoda
Celeriac Apium graveolens
Chervil Anthriscus cerofolium
CILANTRO CORIANDER Coriandrum sativum
Cress, UPLAND Barbarea verna
Cumin Cuminum cyminum
Dill Anethum graveolens
LEMON BALM
LEAF CELERY
HYSSOP Hyssopus officinalis
Lovage
MUSTARD White Mustard (Brassica alba or Brassica hirta)
Parsley Petroselinum crispum
PERILLA
POPPY
POLIOMINTHA MEXICAN OREGANO
Roquette COOL WEATHER--EARLY SPRING OR FALL
SAFFRON CROCUS SATIVA
Savory SUMMER Satureja hortensis
Savory (WINTER) Satureja montana

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

That you're buying or selling or neither?

Yes, Betty, that's what I've learned too about tarragon, crown rot and root rot. (Beautiful quilt!)

Cumberland Mtns, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Vortreker.

Silly me ...I discovered that I had bought/sown 'hyssop' seeds, only now I can't remember which ones! I 'think' I ordered some from Diane's Seeds, but I need to review a couple of recent seed orders AND seed trades to be sure.

I had this brainstorm to put the seed packs UNDER the pot I'd sown them in, ( the mini clear resealable pks) but a bad storm blew the pots over and upside down ... 3 out of 4 pots survived; only one label and it's for mini chili peppers.

I'll probably be on the Plant ID forum soon =)

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Carrie,
The MG's have a fall plant sale to raise money. I am personally growing them for "neither" I am in charge of the Dothan Area Botanical Gardens Culinary bed area and I grow them for demonstration purposes (and personal use :)) as I enjoy cooking well seasoned "stuff"
Wish I could grow French Tarragon here!----- I am jealous
Here are my beds at the Botanical Gardens:

Thumbnail by VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

LOL Nannie

Vortreker: That's a lovely garden bed! The "pergola" planting is interesting! Any chance of another photo focusing on it? How do you keep the sage so tidy? A lot of pinching/trimming? Ours always looks like the bully on the block!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Potagere,

If you are asking about the green plants in the lower left they are Basil "MInnette" and "Pistou". The beauty is that they grow naturally this way and they taste great.
2 photos of the Pergola that I built:

Thumbnail by VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

# 2

It took 4-5 solid days to build it.

Thumbnail by VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

It has a 50% shade cloth over it so I can grow some plants in our intense sun and/or heat that would not otherwise survive in South Alabama

OK! I thought that was purple sage! The pergola is great! Did you design it yourself or get plans somewhere? I bet I could use something like that to make a "shade garden" here on our open hillside! Nice work!

Middleburgh, NY

The pergola is wonderful! I like the idea of the raised bed under it. The sage green it is painted is very nice too. Beautiful project.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOL, I'm growing Basil 'minette' this year. It's about 6" tall so far. Ha ha ha ha ha. Guess it won't get too big, though!!!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Potagere--On the very end is Basil (Red Rubin). I designed the Pergola but it would be easy to reproduce from the picture.
Carrie--my 'minnete' is bout 12X12
Herbalbetty-Thanks

Corte Madera, CA

Gorgeous! Herbs and Pergola! Now, I want one =).

This thread has been so inspiring! Thanks, Vortreker. Yesterday after church, honey took little convincing to take me to the local nursery. Here's what I got:

Summer Savory
Mint "Julep"
Mint "Mojito"
Mint "Bergamot"
Italian Oregano
French Thyme
Lemon Verbena

I potted them all up as soon as we got home =). Can't wait to cook with them.

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

I got Coneflower and Anise Sage yesterday.

Laura,
Is there a Coneflower Sage?

Don't think so, but if there is one I'll take it. I want all edible sages. My DSDs name is Sage so I'm working on a sage garden for her.

But the one's I got are Echinacea purpurea 'Bright Star' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/79567/ and Salvia guaranitica http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1914/

OK! I didn't think so. Just a small play on words.

I reread what I wrote and it could have been taken that way. I was pretty sure you were joking, but even face to face I tend to take jokes at face value :o) Makes me the perfect "straight man" for my smart @$$ DH.

Ah, good!

My herbal tales are mostly sad. My sweet cicely plant succumbed to the hot fry weather before it could get established and my lovage seedlings all just collapsed! Probably too late to try again this year! Well, there's always next year. Or, who knows, maybe a generous neigbour will offer me a plant or my Scots friends can be persuaded to bring lovage when they come to visit next month! At least the parsley, summer savoury and 3 basils that I have been growing among my heucheras to give them shade are growing like a house afire!

g'afternoon all. I have pineapple mint, but I need those mints too!!

Zinhu, that should be pretty. My sage has done very well the last 2 years in a pot here. I hate to disturb it. the salvias are beautiful too. I love blue flowers; someday I am going to have a 'blue' only garden.

I didn't get any new plants this weekend, but I put my rolling greenhouse thingy together this morning, so I need to make good use of it. I didn't put the plastic cover on it, thinking it's summer, I don't need it, but maybe I do.

lol....it's an indecisive Monday here. at least I got everybody fertilized and pruned this morning.

Right now I have common sage Salvia officinalis http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/313/ , Blue Anise Sage Salvia guaranitica http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1914/ , and Pinapple Sage Salvia elegans http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1913/ Mom has a Melon scented Sage Salvia elegans 'Honey Melon' http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51659/ that she will give me cuttings from.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

My basil is looking kinda ratty. Between the Japanese Beetles eating holes in everything and our torrential downpours it's next to impossible to keep them nice looking. I'm thinking of cutting them way back and putting into the freezer, not as good as fresh but at least useable. What do you think?

My basil is about 2 in. tall, but looks healthy. My dill is a little off.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I think i need to take a picture so you can see what I mean.

mittsy - makes sense to me.

Here is my basil... it's smaller then I remembered.

Thumbnail by zhinu

Here is my dill that is having issues, at least I'm mainly growing it for next years seeds this year.

Thumbnail by zhinu
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My Dill turned into seeds before I even got much of a chance to use it. :-( Next year I'm trying a different variety that's supposed to be more for leaves and less for seeds.

I want just enough seed to not have to buy new seeds the next year. Dill leaf is what I use. I've heard that if you want to grow just for the leaf you can cut the flowers off when they start to grow and the plant will last longer.

I feel bad because these were doing so well in the container. I wanted to get them in the ground so I'd officially have an herb garden, then had a bad day right after I planted them and forgot to water. They're not wilted anymore, they just stayed the shape they were when they were wilted. You know whatever, I can deal with twisted plants, it's the purple leaves that bother me.

I got my sage garden started today. I have three types of sage in there right now. Got chives and parsley added to my general herb garden and Echinacea in the other bed. It's not there, but it is a start.

Laura, i'm curious, does the anise sage smell like anise?

Not as far as I can tell. It doesn't taste like it either. Not sure where the name comes from.

Middleburgh, NY

I picked up a lavender mint this year. It really does have a whiff of lavender to it. I have a lavender sage as well. I love that mix of lavender and sage.

Carrie, I find that dill Dukat produces a very nice amount of leaves.

Anise sage? That sounds great, but zhinu, it doesn't smell or taste like anise? Pooh!

herbalbetty - "Not as far as I can tell. It doesn't taste like it either. Not sure where the name comes from." you just missed the reply to Phyl. It has an odd taste and flavor, but it's not anise like at all to me.

I bet lavender mint would be good in ice water.....or tea.

Betty....that confused me, is it a lavender that smells like sage, or a sage that smells like lavender? of course, both would be the jackpot.

I gotta know how to add that to my 'want' list. ^_^

Middleburgh, NY

Nannie, it's a sage (Salvia lavendulifolia) also known as Spanish sage. So, it is a sage with a hint of lavender. I've had mine for a few years. You can get it from Well Sweep Herbs in NJ.

herbalbetty - is it an edible sage?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.