CULINARY HERBS

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

I have what most would call a "culinary herb/spice obsession" for many years. I currently have 72 varieties growing in the Dothan Area Botanical Gardens (zone 8b) but and would like to start a thread with like minded individuals. I have limited experience of many of the culinary herbs and would love to pick your brains. Any interest? I also will be glad to share my limited knowledge in return. I am a certified expert on sending many herbs to the death chamber so maybe I can give some useful advise of what not to do :) I just, this year managed to kill over $600 worth of ordered culinary herbs. First advice--do not even think about disturbing the roots of a vanilla plant.
Photo is of my new culinary beds and shade Pergola that I built this spring.
Cheers

Thumbnail by VORTREKER
POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

I'll try to send picture again

Thumbnail by VORTREKER
Middleburgh, NY

What a beautiful photo! I have over 300 varieties of all sorts of herbs - culinary, medicinal, craft, etc. My zone (5) is very different than yours and I have to grow my vanilla in a pot. However, I have had gardens in England, the Mojave Desert, the Great Plains and NY state/Canadian border. I live in the northern Catskills of NY state now. What culinary herbs are you thinking of planting? Some that I have include:
thymes - about 40
French tarragon
chervil
parsley
oregano - a few varieties
dill
fennel
rosemary
sweet cicely
chives - 6 varieties or so
sage - 6 varieties or so of salvia officinalis
cilantro
marjoram
lavender
sweet woodruff
black pepper vine
stevia
pineapple sage
scented geraniums
mints - spearmint, peppermint, chocolate mint, lavender mint
roses
nettle
calendula
lovage
horseradish
garlic
elderberry
ginger
turmeric
cardamom
galangal
chickweed

Then, if you start getting into beverage herbs, I have tons more of those types of herbs

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Lovely view Vortreker ~ Glad DG got the photo problem fixed. I was here early wanting to admire...

I want to hear how you executed the Vanilla plant? I have one that is a new acquisition and hope we can learn from you! 8 )

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Betty,
I have 72 culinary herbs/spice varieties currently growing but I have only 2 chives I would like to know more about the different chive varieties. Does your Cardamom survive outdoors? Thanks

Pod,
The vanilla, after I killed two by transplanting them, is doing well in zone 8b under 50% shade cloth watered every other day. It is growing beside a black pepper (Piper nigrum) plant that really enjoys where it is. The pepper did nothing for two months and then grew over 2 feet in the last month. They both are in pots as I will have to move them to the green house once temps drop below 55 or so.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

HERBS/SPICES CURRENTLY GROWING

ALLSPICE
ANISE HYSSOPS
ANNATO
BASIL CINNAMON
BASIL ITALIAN
BASIL LIME
BASIL MINNETTE
BASIL NUFAR
BASIL PISTOU
BASIL RED RUBIN
BASIL VALENTINO
BAY LAUREL
BLACK PEPPER
CARDAMOM
CHINESE LICORICE
CHIVES GARLIC
CHIVES ONION
CURRY LEAF TREE
CURRY PLANT
CURRY PLANT
EPAZOTE
FENNEL BRONZE
FRENCH SORELL
GALANGA
GINGER
HORSE RADISH
JUNIPER
LEMON BALM
LEMON GRASS WEST INDIAN
LICORICE
MEXICAN TARRAGON
MINT APPLE
MINT EGYPTIAN
MINT KENTUCK COLONEL
MINT PINAPPLE
ONION CHIVES
OREGANO MEXICAN
OREGANO MEXICAN BUSH
OREGANO SYRIAN
OREGANO, CUBAN COMPACT GREY
OREGANO, CUBAN GOLDEN RUFFLE
OREGANO, CUBAN VARIGATED
PAPALO
PAR-CEL
PARSELY 2 TYPES
PEPPER AMARYLLIS
PEPPER ANCHO
PEPPER BHUT JALOKIA
PEPPER HABANERO
PEPPER JALAPENO
PEPPER MORALES
PEPPER PEQUIN
PEPPER SPANISH SPICE
PEPPER VARIGATED
ROOT BEER PLANT
ROSEMARY ARP
ROSEMARY COMMON
ROSEMARY CREEPING
ROSEMARY GOLDEN RAIN
ROSEMARY PINK
ROSEMARY ROMERO
SAGE NEWE YA'AR
SASSAFRASS
SOCIETY GARLIC
STEVIA
SUMMER SAVORY
SWEET BAY
SWEET MARJORUM
TAMARIND
THYME CLEAR GOLD
UPLAND CRESS
VANILLA
VANILLA GRASS
WATERCRESS

Tallahassee, FL

Can someone tell me why my oregano leaves are getting black spots on them? I don't know what kind of oregano it is. In April I purchased the plant at Walmart and put it in a self-watering container. It is setting outside next to my vegetable garden and gets about 5 or 6 hours of Florida sun. It is growing well enough, but flavor is not as good now that most leaves are larger, and many have the black spots so I don't eat those. Bob

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Betty,
I grow dill for salad - not the seeds! It's in a container on the patio but it started flowering! I cut it WA-A-AY back. Do you think it will grow new stems?
Carrie

Middleburgh, NY

Carrie, sometimes dill will grow back great after cutting it back. Other times, you just can't fool the plant once it starts flowering. As soon as you see that flower stalk form, pinch it. You can also sow successive crops of dill to have just the leaves.

Middleburgh, NY

Vortreker, I have
good old regular chives
Dwarf Chives
Grolau Chives
Grande Chives
Profusion Chives
Curly Chives
Garlic Chives
Mauve Garlic Chives

My cardamom and any other tropicals must come in during September. We get -15 or so and lots of snow here in the winter.

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

What a gorgeous herb garden! I'm jealous. :o)

I have no sun but finally decided to stick a bunch of kitchen herbs under lights and see what would stick with me. I have these:

Burnet
Rosemary
Chives
Thyme
Green Boquet Basil
Marjoram
Purple Ruffle Basil
Spearmint
Cilantro
Oregano

As you can tell from the picture of the marjoram, I raided my recycling bin for the pots. The plants don't seem to know the difference.

I'm a first timer but will happily follow this thread to see if I can learn from what the more experienced herb gardeners know.

Thumbnail by dividedsky
(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

I think that actually might be cute for a herb garden. Do you have a picture of some of them together?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Here they are. I need to trim them down and do some arranging, but I figured I'd give them a few days to adjust to their new environment first. Do you think I should have broken them apart before I planted them? They're pretty big for these containers.

Thumbnail by dividedsky

I think that looks great! I love the idea of recycled containers for indoor herbs. The only concern I'd have is the plastic bleeding chemicals into the soil.

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Anybody into African Blue Basil? Very hardy specimen that is good for dried herb and infusing in olive oil . Has high camphor oil content and extremely fragrant. Blooms constantly. Would like to hear from other AB aficianados. Thanks.

Thumbnail by stevelvv
POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Smallplot
black spots are usually a fungus or a virus. Take a leaf to a reputable nursery or your extension agent and they should be able to help.
I love D'sG have already found three rare herbs that I had not previously had any luck in finding

Smallplot ~ Bob I suspect your Oregano problem is more water than necessary. I say that because when watered, the flavor seems to recede on a lot of herbs. Oregano will tolerate the sun but needs well drained soil, I suspect more so with our increased humidity. I keep the "pizza" Oregano in a large pot ~ sorry, not sure of the cultivar. Also have Cuban Oregano which has had no problems. The two I've had trouble with in the souths' heat and humidity are Ornamental Oregano ~ Kents' Beauty and Marjoram. Last year, Marjoram died down and came back from the roots. This year, I don't believe I will be as fortunate. Wish I had more answers.

Vortreker may be right on the blackspot but what causes it?

Tallahassee, FL

Thanks VORTREKER and podster. The oregano could be getting too much water from rains lately.

Stevelvv ~ with the high camphor content, what culinary uses is the African blue basil good for? I like camphors but can't imagine other than medicinal uses....

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

As mentioned, excellent when dried. I use the flower stalks to soak in olive oil and then imparts the basil fragrance to the oil. The camphor is what makes the plant smell so good.

Thumbnail by stevelvv
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

It's pretty, too!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks to HERBALBETTY I was able to find Asafoeteda after months of searching without result. Now I'm going to "push my luck" and ask if anyone can help me find Star Anise (Illicium verum). About ready to give up on that also but I really would like to add it to my collection
Thanks

Middleburgh, NY

seedman.com has seeds I don't think I have seen the plant for sale, but will keep an eye out!

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks again HERBALBETTY. You must have one heck of a data base. The viability of seeds are usually very short lived but I will give them a try.
R

Cumberland Mtns, TN(Zone 6b)

Hi Vortreker. Your pergoda and bed is lovely ... but where's the lavenders? lol...you have to have those too, if nothing else for the smell while you're in it gardening.

if you do find star anise, can you please post where you found it here?
I love adding a star or two to my spaghetti sauce. (it's my secret ingredient, lol) but its VERY expensive at the grocery.

thanks, phyl

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Will do Phyl. I am going to order some seeds and try to germinate them from Horizon seeds.
I have Honeysuckle growing on one end of the Pergola. It smells great

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Just wanted to share a neat culinary Oregano guide:

PLANT NAME FLAVOR INTENSITY
Origanum vulgare hirtum 10 10
Greek Oregano
Origanum maru 9 9
Syrian Oregano
Origanum tyttanthum 7 4
Khirgistan Oregano
Origanum marjorana 1 3
Sweet Marjoram
Origanum onites 3 10
Cretan Oregano
Origanum x majoricum 4 5
Italian Oregano
Origanum x marjorana 4 4
Sicilian Oregano

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Interesting. . .

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

What is the most unusual or rare culinary herb(s)/spice(s) that each of you are growing?

cuban oregano ... it was a freebie that a vendor on Marketplace gave me when I ordered the 2nd time from her.

its furry, varigated, and had larger leaves than regular oregano. And I've not done my homework...I don't know what it's good for/with.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Cuban Oregano is a member of the Mint/Coleus family and came from Africa originally. It is very versatile as a seasoning
(meats, salads, vinegars) with a flavor reminiscent of thyme and oregano. Will not stand frost but propagates very easily from cuttings even a single leaf will usually root.
I have Black Pepper, and (Vanilla, Saffron, Cardmom-- the world's 3 most expensive spices)
Russell

Middleburgh, NY

Russell, I have those you mentioned as well, cuban oregano, black pepper, vanilla, saffron, cardamom. It's so much fun gathering different herbs to come live at my house and gardens! I have lime balm as well as lemon balm (and a citronella balm and all gold balm - it's not really all gold, goes back to green as the summer progresses). White borage and blue borage. Several varieties of bee balm. Marshmallow. Several new to me peppers this year: Ancho gigantia, Ancho San Luis, Boldog Paprika, False Alarm hybrid, Paprika supreme, Ring of Fire, Szegedi Giant and good old regular green bell pepper, jalapenos, habanero.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

Herbal Betty,
Sounds like you have quiet a collection. Have you ever propagated vanilla? I cannot make it work.
Russell

My garden is pretty sparse at the moment but I have a Pineapple Sage plant.

POTTSBORO, TX(Zone 7b)

ZHINU,
Bet you have some good pictures though. Saw some on another forum. Great photos

My yards not ready for photos yet, but I have taken pictures of some of the plants. When I get the yard cleaned up I'll take pictures. I wanted to get to it this week, but I've had morning insomnia so I've been having trouble with my energy level.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 7b)

Can anyone advise what to feed a vanilla bean plant to make it flower?

In Thailand last year, I bought a packet of "Horapha" seeds, this being the standard, anisey Thai basil from which the over-popular and in-authentic "Siam Queen" is derived.
I planted the seeds and got great germination (in my experience, fantastic! for Thai-produced seed), and lovely plants.
Now, they are obviously a basil, but they are NOT Horapha or Holy Basil, but an extremely odd variety that tastes a lot like lemon verbena with a slight basilic undertone.
It's great with fish, but most definitely my most unusual culinary herb.
Anyone know what it might REALLY be?

And, among the basics, I love Summer Savory (Satureja hortensis). Great garden plant and versatile in the kitchen. Nearly the "strongest" of kitchen spices in Europe before the opening of the "Spice Route" to Asia. Still good today.

Other basics I love include Myrrhis odorata/Sweet Cicely/Perpetual Chervil --- for its simple anise-like flavour (and Chervil itself [Anthriscus cerefolium], but it's a temperamental annual); and Levisticum officinale/Lovage/Perpetual Celery --- for its year-round supply of fresh celery flavour without the hassle of growing celery (or of buying more than you need or can use). Parsley and cilantro, of course.

But, since I don't ever eat the leaves, stems or even the roots, I thought my many varieties of peppers were not herbs or spices, but vegetables or, to be technical, fruit. Do they become spices when I dry them and grind them? What about if I use them fresh? What if I just pick one and eat it?

Confusing, that. Back to the garden!

Potagere

There are several plants that are cross category plants. Onions for example will be listed in herb books even though by plant type and use they are vegetables, peppers, garlic, and some others are in this same category. I think the general deal is if you use the plant to flavor a dish, rather than as the main part or as a filler it's sometimes listed as an herb.

awww, I want to see pictures! I can't imagine how you can get all those together.

I've just re-started gardening due to health reasons and I feel like I'm light years behind, although I've gotten quite a few in the last few months.

I just planted pineapple mint this week. I forgot about that. And Stevia, Lemon Grass, ThymeFrench, Fennel-Bronze , Chervil,
then a couple of BlueCushion, Hidcote, Lavance, and Spanish Lavenders. Plus a few others that I planted last month.

But I'm seeing progress. And it feels good to be tired at night. LOL and sore the next morning.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.