Al's photo pile 1

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dahlias are cruising now.

Gay Princess was a small plant in a pot last year - it is huge in the ground(4'+ already)

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Speaking of huge - my new small bed that has potting soil has monster plants - Ferncliff Copper is in there so it might hit 10'

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I bought a package of VB purples - figuring I like purple and I should be able to ID them from the catalog. This is the first one open - maybe Osrium?

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I won't have a ton of new ones this year - here is an older and apparent delicious one - Onesta

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Kari Blue was late last year - 3rd one open this year.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

About time Al!

Gay Princess is terrific. Don't think I have a pink. Next year for sure.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Kind of bumming on this one because I bought it as Eveline - it is Jean Marie(which I love, but have one already and already had a mistagged one turn out to be this last year). Color is always great.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I'm eyeing up the Gay Princess too! and WOW on the Ferncliff Copper! That's listed at 5 feet. What are you feeding those puppies?

Delhi, IA

Lie your first purple Al. The reverse is so much lighter than the front at that angle.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Yowser! Gorgeous blooms, love the purples...woo hoo! I can give Jean Marie a good home for you. LOL.

Joanne

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

OOHH 'Gay Princess' is my favorite for now!!

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

I like Osirium, quite a unique bloom! Jean Marie is also cool - I want to get England's Glory if I can from Hollyhill next year, its like an AA version of Jean Marie.

Another dahlia for the 10 ft+ club! When do they qualify for tree status? LOL!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

We'll see if Ferncliff Copper gets that tall - it was 8' in lousy soil a few years ago. The tallest one in that shot is Lavid right now and Sea Oro is in there also so it could be a tall bed.

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

love, love, love Gay Princess & Onesta best. This is so cool. Al, how are your potted ones doing?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Your Dahlias are always sooooooo beautiful!!!!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Thanks!

Davis - that bed is doing pretty good, they look much better since the last feeding there.
This is the next one open from there - Extase, a bit eaten up - it's only 8" tall.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

One of my favorites - Bea Paradise

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Karma Naomi, speaking of...where is Mone'?

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice orange - Long Island Lil

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

The color of Karma Sangria gets a little hotter in the heat of summer - still a bit pale.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Got a nice shot of the second flower of Gay Princess.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Here's a funny one, from the same cheap supplier that had Eveline wrong - this was supposed to be Haley Jane, but is a mystery LC. That line had only real common dahlias - any guesses?

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Just what are you feeding these flowers??

They are just stunning!

West Caldwell, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yes, Al, that is amazing progress! Are you using Super Thrive or Kelp? The mystery flower is my favorite BTW.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I thought you might like an LC Tod ;)
I do use Superthrive yes, not sure if it does much. They all got Miracle Gro about 10 days ago. Not overly hot summer here so far either.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

How many are you growing this year? Are they all coming in now or is this just the preview?

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I think I'm at 82 or so. They are a funny plant - I dug up a few that weren't above ground to check and have a few close to 5' all started at the same time.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Beautiful offerings as always, Al. Nice shots of Kari Blue and LIL. I can't wait to see your Lavid. I got that one from Mone with high recommendations and it proved more than worthy, so of course I killed all my Lavid tubers over winter. Prepare for serious begging in 09.

I haven't heard from nor seen Mone in a year and am sorry to say I haven't written her to see what's up either. She's a go-getter and globe trotter, so I'm going to envision her eclipsing the globe collecting rare plants.

Is there a chance "AL'S PK/YEL A ID NOID" is growing? Gerry Hoek Wannabe, that large beauteous one. I've killed the paltry tuber I kept here, so its future depends on you and you alone!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hey Pooch - Lavid will be in the next batch for sure, my PK/YEL A ID (me - LOL) is growing, no buds yet. Nothing open in the big boy bed yet.
No GHW here anymore either.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Excellent news to hear you've saved it Al! I knew you could. My hero! That is a big beauty and I nearly wept when I had to fling the only remaining (rotted) tuber left here into the woods. June was very hard on tubers here. But lots of survivors are yet to come...

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I'm back

A Poochie selection : Contessa

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Lousy shot of Karma Corona

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Kelgai Ann is an early one for sure it seems.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Yvonne must taste good.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I really like the petals on Lavid.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Hey I got one from Candy, Chimacum Topaz

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

More awesome beauties. I hid all the writing implements so I can't make lists and be tempted so I have to scratch 'Lavid' into the desk with the mouse, scratch, scratch, scratch :-

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Lavid alway looks like typo to me.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

LOL Lavid, I mean David!!!!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Stunning blooms Al!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.