Which pruner is best?

Rome, GA

Which hand pruner is best to use as an all-purpose pruner in the garden? Anyone have any favorites?

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

I've been told, or read somewhere, a by-pass pruner is better because it causes less damage to the plant than an anvil pruner; a nice quick snip opposed to mashing the bottom side while the blade goes through the branch/stem. I have no idea which brand is "best" but Fiskars is a reputable name. Craftsman (Sears) is a good choice for their lifetime warranty.

Gary

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Bypass pruner that is a nice size for YOUR hand &is easy to sharpen.

Clinton, CT(Zone 6b)

Felco pruners are a once in a lifetime purchase. Expensive but worth it and now and then on sale. I have a Felco #2...the old basic model.

Lima, OH

I agree with David_Paul, Felco is a GREAT pair of pruners. I worked in the nursery/landscape business for several years and that is what we carried. Another very good brand, and substantially less expensive is Corona, I have two pair, both at least 8-10 years old. This year though, my girlfriend bought me the new Leatherman Hybrid, a folding bypass prunner with several tools on it (knife, saw, weeder, etc.) and I have used it exclusively since receiving it (outside of larger stuff). I have always carried the standard Leatherman's with me though. The Hybrid also has a nice spongy handle that is very easy on your hands.

Framingham, MA

Coronas were the best pruners made- carbon steel, differential temper, spare and comfortable design, but they are now made in Mexico (previously US Made, circa 2003) and the quality has suffered. if you find an old pair on sale, Coronas are the way to go.

the swedish thingies have that sheet spring, which rusts, and a bulky handle. Felco, that's the name- don't like em, though the blades are good, they simply don't measure up to the old Coronas.

Another Felco fan here. I have the #2 model:
http://www.felcostore.com/pruners.jsp

I love them and don't go into the garden without them (and a Clorox wipe to sanitize after each cut).

This message was edited Jul 10, 2008 4:43 AM

Rome, GA

Thanks for all of the input. I have bought 2 different ones and took them both back. I wish I could try them out before I buy them.

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

Last weekend I bought a set of Corona 11-in-1, new. I've only snipped off a few "starts" on an old maple tree trunk and they worked well as most things do brand new. They are much better than the Bargain Bin pruners I've used for the last ten years. They are probably a little bulky for a woman but the grip is comfortable. I got them at Lowe's for about $20.

Gary

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

Fiskars is a good brand and standing alongside on the shelf. I went with Corona. Probably because of the 11 tools in 1.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Bypass. Give Fiskars a look.

Rome, GA

Thanks, y'all, for all of the helpful advice. I bought a pair of Fiskars. They work good, I think.

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Look up how to sharpen them. If you sharpen 2 - 3 times a year, they will last you a lifetime.

All advice/suggestions are great, i purchase one tree pruner after some research and it works great for me. Have a look at its pros.
Best Tree Pruner

This message was edited Jun 20, 2020 3:41 AM

Dhaka, Bangladesh

Felco 2 pruner is one of the best pruners that you will see in the market. They are expensive. But every penny that you are going to spend worth it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.