Canna #4

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Sorry Pep - that is a big pain in the patootie

Hope they get it fixed for you ... are you having storms?

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

Redtootsiepop, you certainly have an interesting new town to live in. For some reason, I thought you were moving to the Bay Area of California. And, I never knew there was a Livermore in Oregon. HaHaHa I think it would be a little less confusing if you change the state you live in. Best to you, enjoy the weather down there. (I still think ours is better!)
Dotti

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Jeez, I just found out from my Dad this morning that my mom drove their corvette thru the back of their GARAGE, crashed over the birdbath and stopping at their big shed in the backyard. She stepped on the gas, instead of the break when parking. She's totally fine (but embarrassed, and I'm NOT supposed to know about it) .. he had to cut her out of the airbag!

I'm not supposed to tell my brother, but I had to tell somebody !

This message was edited Jul 29, 2008 9:18 AM

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Back for now. Phone fixed but computer messes up still. GRRRRR.....

Red, gotta laugh over that.

Where's everyone hiding?

And it looks like the guys slunk off with their tails tucked in again cause they get scared of us gals. LOLOLOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

It is QUIET ! I CAN'T WAIT TO GET OUT OF THIS APARTMENT - I AM GOING NUTSO!

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

aww...Ok, Red, I cannot ignore your pleas for help, I know I've been in hiding...

it's been a busy summer, been traveling (not terribly far) a lot

here is a pic of the lighthouse on Ocracoke Island, stayed there the week before last

Thumbnail by Tropicanna

I love lighthouses.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

jeg gjette alle de borte

My sis and I say HUH?? lol

(Tammie) Odessa, TX(Zone 7b)

I second that...

Haven't had much to say lately, everything is stunted this year from the drought and heat last month. We did get 3/4" of rain a week ago from Dolly.. hoping for some from Eduard storm

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ooooh, phicks is getting "jiggy with it" lol

Thanks for the pic Trop - sounds like you're having a great summer break. How's your DD doing - when does school start there?

We have an inspection on our house Friday, so I can measure windows, and for refrigerator. Gotta love when you first move in and there are no curtains on the windows! Be careful not to flash the neighbors.

when my parents bought their hours, mom bought a big roll of butcher paper and put it up on each window with a little bit at the bottom open and she cut along the bottoms scalloped.. you would not believe how many people asked her where she had the white scalloped shades made! the sure looked better than just paper on the windows and since they were white, they let light in.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ha ha ha = Oh, Tammie I love that . She actually took the time to scallop the edges !!

This house has better privacy than our last..... we we very "exposed" in our Oregon family room - and the day we moved in my husband found out a co-worker worked in the house directly behind us - Awwwwkkkkwaaaard! Took us 6 months before we could buy curtains.

We have to pay a big chunk this time on property tax - so I may have to buy that roll of butcher paper. :)

I'll try to post some pics later. .... Our inspector said the house was well built, just had a few things ** also, he said there has been a big bird hanging out on our roof and we better get rid of it - the poo will wreck the roofing over time. He said he thinks it's a wild turkey or a peacock.

Went to the concert last night. It was a blast!!! Shooter Jennings wasn't worth watching which kinda made me mad. lol. Rather watch his mom (Jessi Colter) and if his dad (Waylon Jennings) was still alive him too. He was only on stage for about 30 minutes and when he left very few people were clapping or demanding an encore. The ones who were, were drunk.

.38 Special rocked big time!!! They were onstage probably a good 2 hours if not more. That includes several encores they did. They were great and the crowd loved them!

Charlie Daniels came on last and did a great job also. He had to cut his song list down by one to make sure everyone got out on time.

The concert ran til 11:30 or close to midnight. I made it home around 1am. Woke up at 10:30am, and at 1pm went to PG with my mom and saw the butterflies. Tomorrow it's back to work. lol

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

Wow Pepper, sounds like you had such a blast! What is PG?

Powell Gardens, where I work. Every one just calls it PG on here cause it saves time. lol. PG and DG. LOL

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

good foryou Pep, I haven't seen much live music this summer

and Red, I can't help it, but a wild turkey on the roof? those things are huge.......ugh

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

are they ? I've never seen one - he didn't know what it was for sure - just that it was leaving "extra large" droppings on the roof. I'm hoping with all the workers at the house they've scared it away - what am I going to do, spray the hose at it? Threaten to cook it?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

id shoot it and eat it wild turkey tase a lot better then store bought

Whether it tastes good depends on age. And where she's at in CA she can't shoot guns or else she will be in prison for life. But a nice idea anyways. lol

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Use a Bow

And if she misses she will hit a neighbor and the ground will shake from all the screaming. Then cause it was your idea in the first place that person will hop on a plane and come after you. And I hope I'm there to see it. LOL

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ha ha ha ha ha ha - wow you two have it all figured out.! We don't own guns or a bow, so I think I'll have to be more creative.

I did see you can put spikes on your roof to keep birds from hanging out up there, and supposedly they are not noticeable from the street. The builder is going to clean up the poo, but the bird is ours to take care of.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

pepper you need a pass port to come to florida

You wish Paul.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Throw some alka seltzer up there, they'll go 'boom' on their own. Well, we are drowning out here in Denver. We've had 2.79" of rain in the last 2 days, and more to come today. It was also only 58 for a high, the coolest on record. This whole year has been much cooler than norm, despite what the weather guessers say. We've only hit 100-102 for a few days, and upper 90s for a few weeks. I remember recently when we would have 100+ , everyday, for several weeks. Dumb weatherguessers and their short memories. What global warming! I have a canna getting ready to pop, as I've been waiting to get pics of them with the others around them. Now, if the others cooperate and keep going, and the roses aren't between flushes, and the moon aligns right, I should have some pics in a few days. I have a pretoria against a north facing fence that isn't liking the little bit of shade it is getting. It's only about 2' tall, but the flower is pretty. Have some further west in the same bed that are doing good, just waiting for flowers. I have a 'Dark Knight' caryopteris in front of them in full bloom, waitng for them also. Oh well. Hope all are doing good. Paul.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

ooh Paul, sounds like you are ready to burst to life, can't wait to see your pictures !

Well, we are moved in, kinda - still lots of boxes to unpack, of course. As soon as I find a camera, I'll show the lot of dirt in the backyard I get to play in :)

I have some plants hardy in your zone that I will send. lol.

I just got me some free buttefly bushes today. Peacock and Dark Knight. Got them planted in front of the deck for now. Will have to move them somewhere else though so the bees don't overtake us.

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

OK, overdue, but here are some cannas. This is what the thread is supposed to be, right? L to R, spirea, zinnias, mums,cannas waiting, 'dark knight', orange beauty. If you're truely interested, I can look up the names of the first few, but at the moment. I'm a bit brain dead.

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Not a great pic, but: Striped beauty (yellow), Red King Humbert, and in back is Rosemond Cole. Those are in a new bed done earlier this year. Behind is the front beds of the veg garden. MMMmmmm, maters! That huge bulk of tree in the background is a cottonwood. It's a few yards down.

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's the flip side.

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Change from cannas. Peaches, anyone. Pretty rare to get these, as the buds usually freeze in spring.

This message was edited Sep 1, 2008 1:43 PM

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Besides the Red King Humbert, this is my favorite, Striped Beauty.

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

This is, Dawn Pink, Richard Wallace and Rosemond Cole. The shot from the otherside stunk, as the rose bush was blurring things up, and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. Oh well. This also a new bed done in early spring, and yes, the grass needs cutting.

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Here's a close up of the toms, Brandywine- yum! The little one in back is Riesentraube, a more tomato-y flavored cherry.

Thumbnail by vadap
Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

Have some other pic's, but this is pretty much the most of it for now. About time for me, eh? Anyhow, hope all of you are doing good. Red, know your busy with the house and all, and hope it is going easy for you. TTFN, Paul.

Looks like you are going to have enough to share with the neighbors! I don't eat tomoatoes but am going to try drying some this year.. mom has them piled up everywhere and her friends can't take any more! Wish my cannas looked that nice this year. Yours are beautiful and I bet your mail carrier really enjoys them.

Tammie

Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

oh Paul - LOVE the pictures !!! Those tomatoes look so yummy, and your peach tree looks about the healthiest I've ever seen.

Kids started school - I made it home before I cried, thank god for that - wouldn't want to embarrass anyone :)

The yard is overwhelming me, and the soil here is so different, I am feeling intimidated - just waiting for a spark of an idea of what to do? First thing, is probably dump mulch down, I'll try to get some down today.

Here is a picture of my big pile of dirt ! At least there isn't any grass to pull out. ha ha ha

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop
Livermore, CA(Zone 9b)

annnnnd more dirt! I'll probably put a veggie garden here next spring (hopefully!)

Thumbnail by Redtootsiepop

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.