Hatching your own Fowl 101 - For all birds!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Oh, and you are right, but i was in labor that long with all of mine... 6-7 days from drop to pop

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

On my way to mix up a BIG Pitcher of em fer her...Good strong Manhattan style... will keep in the freezer real nicely, and can be nuked with cinnamon and lemon in case she gits a sore throat er sumpthin... LOL

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

mmm, don't forget the orange oil.... and a touch of chocolate!

2 leggers or ????

Geeesh girl.. My last one, I was in my truck in San Fran, CA and started at 7:15 am and dropped him at 7:20 pm in San Bernardino, CA....LOL... He just turned 28 yrs old...I don't think I was ever any longer than that...

I'm gonna whup up a new thread for these babies....I doan thin Claire will mind muchly...:-))

BRB

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

Ok got a question here. My one and only hen that is laying is building a nest with a single egg in it. Does that mean what I think it means. She is not laying on the egg but standing over it and adding bedding in. The other 3 eggs are on the counter should I take them out there also. I would say they have been no colder than 65 to 70 degrees.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Gosh, I don't know Tia, but I hope it means she's feeling broody!

Clarksburg, MO

Tia-

What is she doing now??? Mine when laying often fluff the nest and pull a few feathers, but as soon as they are done laying they are up and gone. If she is still there, I might set the eggs. Worst case you lose a couple of eggs.

Sheila

nope she got out, I was scared I do not want chicks this late in the season. I want eggs. I dont want them to hatch anyway, they would be mutts for sure.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OK, now I'm confused. If you don't want chicks, why would you be considering taking the other 3 eggs that you have out there to her nest? I must be missing something...(too much hatching for my little brain to handle!)

well I just thought if she was going broody i might as well as she is the ONLY one laying eggs. I tried to convince the other girls today what an egg is and where it should go, they looked interested but went on their merry way. I want my eggs, in a week I might have enough to make breakfast from fresh eggs. 4 so far.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

That's 2 breakfasts for me right there! I have 24 hens right now and getting about 5-8 eggs a day. Clearly they are not all laying but I don't know who is and who isn't, so it's fine for now. Besides they are all still fairly new to the coop they are in so they may be taking time to settle in.

I would take the other egg away from her to stop her from going broody and ensure that you keep getting eggs from her. But that's just me....maybe someone else will think otherwise.

Clarksburg, MO

Yes to moxon. If you don't want her to go broody, do take all of the eggs away. It might discourage her, although once they have it on their mind I don't think much can stop them. Sounds like she was just trying to make a comfortable place to lay.

Sheila

she is not broody, just surprised me that she was making a nest. I take the eggs just as soon as i see them. Still only 1 a day from the same girl Gracie.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

ah, but you were TEMPTED! this confirms the CF came through OK on her way to...

Clarksburg, MO

My question ponders will one bad egg spoil the whole bunch?

I found an agg in the bator just now that was seeping. It leaked onto 2 other eggs, which I wiped clean. Do I need to do anything else??? Will it spoil all 65 eggs? HELP!

Sheila

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I had a seeping egg also - see my post quite a ways up in this thread: Post #5467299
It has a picture of my seeping egg.

I took it out and wiped off the eggs that touched the seepage. No problems in my 'bator because I just had the hatch and everybody was fine.

Hope this is the same result for you.
Claire

Clarksburg, MO

thanks claire. I thought that was probably the case but just wanted to make sure!

Sheila

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.