Anyone remember the name of this astible?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Does anyone remember the name of this astible. Or maybe took a pic of the name plate at Longwood???
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=4970204

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Jen, sorry, I think I was so taken by the hydrangea, I got that picture of the name plate, but not the astible. Maybe when Gita gets back she will help.

Laurel, DE(Zone 7a)

I'm heading up to Longwood in about 2 weeks. If you don't have an answer by then, I can look for it. Where was it located?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Kubileya- It was in the main area of the conservatory before you get to where they filled the floor with water. Thanks so much.

The combo of the 2 was amazing!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

More than "amazing"!!! Inquiring minds also want to know the name of the Hydrangea - what a stunning combination :)

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Wow! What a lovely combination! I, too, would love to know the names of both of these plants.

Here ya go!

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Mount Laurel, NJ(Zone 7a)

hi flowerjen :) I checked my pictures and only had the sign for the hydrangea too, sorry. Maybe if you post a photo on the plant id forum. That is how I got the name of the geranium from Longwood that I wanted to get. Good luck!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Thank you Chris :) For some reason the Lacecaps don't do that well here but if I ever decide to try another one, this will surely be on my list!

Laurel, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks for posting the name. It will be the next one I purchase. Just need to figure out where I have room.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I really, really like this combination. I talked to one of the gardeners at the conservatory, and he told me that they had planted astilbe 'Elizabeth' and 'Amethyst' with that particular hydrangea. He also said that 'Elizabeth' is a little shorter than 'Amethyst', and that both are spectacular color combinations with the hydrangea. Since the astilbe in the photo appears more violet than rosy, I'm thinking it was probably 'Amethyst'. I'm going to try both :-) terri

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks Terri!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't think it is Amethyst, though of course, the camera could be playing tricks. See http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enUS280US280&q=astilbe+amethyst&btnG=Search+Images. All the photos seem lighter. I have Amethst, and I don't recall it being as stunning as the photo from the trip.

And I found 3 different astilbes with "Elizabeth" in the same, but none seemed right either.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Maybe Longwood paints theirs.

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I also noticed that the photos in Plant Files of hydrangea 'Tokyo Delight' mostly look white w/ hint of blue, not the vibrant pink in the Longwood photo. I know with hydrangeas, you can do something to the ph of the soil to change whether blooms will be blue or pink. I don't think the same is true of astilbes to enhance color? When I get a chance, I'll call Longwood and see if one of the gardeners at the conservatory can provide more info... terri

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Terri! (Flowerjen -- I bet you are right -- little elves with paint buckets during the night)

you guys are funny! terri, that was great you got 2 possible id's for the astilbe! If it is between those two, I'm thinking it may be the Elizabeth because it is described often as having raspberry plumes, which the one in the photos definitely had. We only have one variety of astilbe here and it is nothing outstanding that would catch your eye like this combo was.
http://www.perennialresource.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=plants.plantDetail&plant_id=105

Thumbnail by wind

having said that.....strange...I seem to recall a sign that said "amethyst"!!! I didn't get a photo of the sign though to be sure :0

I am sort of leaning to amethyst too. I know we looked at the sign. But your mind starts playing the doubting game after awhile. I guess when we visit these places we need to take a picture of the plants and the sign. Well another lesson learned.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Who knew? Of course my battery was dying with all the pics I did take, I can only imagine how much faster it would have died if I took a pic of the plant and the name.

Brooksville, FL(Zone 9a)

rcn48;

Lacecaps are easy. I'm in a colder zone and this is how I keep mine.

This is the key, figuring out when your first frost is, as this is the time consuming part.

1. put up fencing - fencing that will be able to hold leaves, I use the green covered wire fence
2. at night (especially while temps fluctuates) drape cloth material over the fence and down the side to protect against the frost.
3. Uncover in the morning after threat of frost (sometimes early morning can be worse then night frost
4. If you don't cover at night leaves will turn but it will recover next year, it just can't stay uncovered all winter and make it.
5. Once the temps start staying colder (35-40) fill the fenced area around your lace cap with leaves until the shrub is completely covered. Keep watching throughout the winter and add more leaves as needed.

They do need a protected area from winter wind, but with leaf coverage, next spring when you blow it out will bring you such a beauty that it makes it worth the trouble (at least to me it does).

Janet
here is lady in red at the end of the season this year not the best pics but can't find after I uncovered, it doesn't look like much but step back give it a week and man...... : ~ )

This message was edited Oct 25, 2009 9:03 AM

This message was edited Oct 25, 2009 9:04 AM

Thumbnail by meadowyck
Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Try sending an email, fax or calling and I'm sure somebody in the horticulture dept. could tell you exactly what the variety/color those astilibe were.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm also thinking Amethyst was the name we talked about earlier--maybe in the thread where we all showed pictures from the day. I can't find the ones I took, at the moment.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Good idea, Pippi.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Aspenhill already asked...

from above

Quoting:
I talked to one of the gardeners at the conservatory, and he told me that they had planted astilbe 'Elizabeth' and 'Amethyst' with that particular hydrangea. He also said that 'Elizabeth' is a little shorter than 'Amethyst', and that both are spectacular color combinations with the hydrangea. Since the astilbe in the photo appears more violet than rosy, I'm thinking it was probably 'Amethyst'. I'm going to try both :-) terri

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.