CLOSED: MIXED SEED NUTS July 5 thru ?

(AnjL) Fremont, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi all... we have a new room!!
we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/869356/
and all our swap info can be found here : http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/866687/

Photo is garden area where first 'mixed seeds' swap was planted!

Thumbnail by 1AnjL
Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, let's get this one all filled up.!!! Takes us about 2 days to get 200 posts! Oh yeah, Anjl, do we have a froggie picture up?

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok, nevermind, love that picture. That really is pretty as much as I hate to admit it.!!! That's what a flower bed is supposed to look like!!!

(AnnaRuth) Danville, VA(Zone 7a)

Mawissa.....word......to yo mama....

LOL! thats not A flower bed... thats ALL my flower beds, that have overgrown into one big flower bed! :oD

Becky, I found these links for you...not sure if they will help as I'm still not certain we get cardinals in this area, and if we do they may not be the same cardinals you have ...

http://www.sfbbo.org/about/index.php

http://ohloneaudubon.org/oas2.html (this is the site I used)

http://www.scvas.org/index.php

http://www.diabloaudubon.com/ebb/rehab.html

(Karen) Frankston, TX(Zone 8a)

Allright everyone, I have to share my "babies" too if ya'll are going to! I have 3 'lil Boston Terriers, Lily - Maddy- and Raynee. They are the lights of my lives and are like taking care of 3 toddlers all day long! I adore them. I do alot of graphics and animation. (hmmm....could do a crazy mixed up seed club animation...hmmmmm) and made this last year.

About canning......Ladies (and gents) if you can make it, you can can it. When you cook large pots of soup, beans, chicken and dumplings.....whateva, just can it afterwards! About the only limitation is rice or pasta in cans, it just comes out yucky and mushy so you can add it later. Just think about it, ready to eat. It is not hard in the least. You can buy a Presto pressure canner at WalMart for about $50.00. It is only my hubby and me at home, but I still can for my convenience.

Thumbnail by darkmoondreamer

another pic of the them :)

Thumbnail by darkmoondreamer
(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Anjl - Thanks for the new thread! (Whew!) Your garden(s) look marvelous! So gorgeous!

Also thanks for the different links you posted. I didn't find anything about feeding baby birdies though. The bird will have to make it through the night. I'm not feeding it around the clock. Again, if it makes it then it was meant to be and if not, then it was also meant to be. I did find some freeze dried mealy worms I bought a while back. (The adults birds weren't impressed.) Luckily, I didn't throw the bag out. So I added a bunch of them in a small cleaned out old butter container and added some water. Will let it sit over night in the fridge and will add it to the chicken tomorrow for feeding the baby (if it is still alive).

Karen - Your 3 'lil Boston Terriers are so cute!! LOL about the 3 stooges photo! Now that is FUNNY!!!

Presto pressure canner at WalMart for about $50.00!! I didn't know they were that cheap. I thought they were at least $80-90 for a cheapie one! Hmmmmm ...

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

How cool are those pictures. I can't believe you can do that!!! Def. need a mixed seed one!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Just be sure when you get your canner, you really follow directions!! Remember my beans on the ceiling.!!! That top just flew off that thing!!! jars breaking and beans spewing.

Lorraine - Ewwww ...

I'm off to bed! Nitey, nite!

LOL, Lorraine! You're not supposed to cook beans in a pressure canner for that reason, they blow too much foam when they cook! LOL, seriously, pressure canners have come a long way. They are totally safe now, and idiot proof. You just slap the food in a jar, put 2-3 inches of water in the bottom of the canner, close the lid and process for the proper time. You take the lid off and voila! Perfect canned food! I won't push it, I've talked enough about canning tonight but it's a passion of mine and I would be more than happy to instruct any of you on the easy methods of it if you'd like. To me, simple home canning goes right along with the gardening life. It's good to prepare for the future in these days and times. We might one day not have electricity to run those freezers and have to rely on ourselves for long term food storage. Properly canned goods can last 10 years or longer! Last night I canned my DD's favorite soup. Canned tomato sauce mixed with canned corn and green beans, some onion and a few cut up potatoes. Now she has fresh pints of soup to eat whenever she wants it :) Heat and eat

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

WB Anjl, your garden is looking so pretty! :-). Becky, I hope that little bird makes it, it’s so hard not to get attached. I remember rescuing several bluejays as a kid and we fed them babyfood. LOL. They were older than yours though, and they made it and gradually reverted back to wild birds.

Karen, love the doggie pics, and I think it’d be so cool to have a mixed seed nuts graphic…has to have frogs in it though, of course ;-). I’ve never canned anything in my life, but we do have a pressure cooker that we use to make soup etc. It has a safety lid, so hopefully we won’t have a repeat of Lorraine’s “bean incident.”

Here is a pic from my still unfinished new pond…stupid as it is, this makes me smile, and I hope it makes you all too. :-)

Thumbnail by sunnyg
Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I love it Sunny.!!! Is that Rainyicky lazing around there.? I want to get one made , maybe have it ready for next year, since it takes me forever to do anything!! Got a perfect place for it, close to a water line, so could dig underground.

Stop it!!! I can't do that!!

Karen, I don't know where you find the time. But you're right, gardening and putting up food go together.!!! And you are right, electricity goes and the frozen stuff spoils, but long as you can twist a top, you got food when you can. I found out too late about the beans and the pressure canner!

I always wanted to learn how to can foods... I just may go check out that cooker at wally world!
my sis and her MIL used to can food all the time. sis doesnt do it anymore (cue to time limits?) but her MIL still does it. She would always send me home with pickles and jams/jellies that she canned. I have never even seen anyone can something, so wouldnt know the first thing about it! lol! but I think it would be neat to learn. Also, if I could grow veggies and can them...save $ at the grocery store!

Well, just let me know girls, if there is enough interest I will be happy to have a "canning class" and instruct ya'll on how to do it. It is so easy it'll make your head spin. This week I bought chicken quarters for .29 a pound, raw packed the pieces and canned. Now I have already cooked fresh chicken ready to make casserole, enchiladas, chicken nachos, or dumplings. Just let me know the interest level and I will find a way to make it happen. There is no more rewarding feeling besides gardening to see all those pretty jars of fresh vegetables you've grown yourself or bought, knowing you've done something economical and good for your family. Tomorrow I'm canning roast beef tips in gravy to go over rice or noodles. Love Karen

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hello Nuts!!!

Found the new thread, now I have to read it all!!! BBL

AnjL- sending you dmail....got measurements?? hee hee hee

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

Sheesh, I come and everyone goes bye bye....mmmfff

I think I'm all done writing requests and taking measurements. At least for today!!LOL!! You all have been busy, ponds, birds, pets. I've missed all kinds of action on the thread today.

I agree Becky, bummer we don't live in the same community. We could get all dressed in black and redue my whole darn HOA!! Oh that would be lovely!!

Still need to get my new bruggies repotted. They are very happy on top of my fridge still Sunny ;o) I just ran out of time today. I've was super busy and then DS had a friend over, so we all went to the pool. We have one heck of a pool here!! WOW I never knew it was so big!! I'll be hanging out at the pool a lot this summer ;o)

Rainey, you send those EE to me yet??? hee hee hee Just teasin' you ;o)

Give my regards to Sunnyone and Sunny two Melissa ;-). I finally put their buddies outside and repotted them. All was well until little tiny worms discovered them, and now I am having to handpick them off the leaves. Unfortunately they are now out in the big bad world of apple moth quarantine, so they are stuck here now. LOL.

Lorraine, yep, I imagine Rainey Icky and Slick and the gang do lounge around like that! They’ve pretty much got it made here…very few predators and lots of yummy bugs ;-). Oh I think you definitely need a little pond for when Rainey Icky comes to see you. We’ve got Melissa corrupted, and I think you should totally be next. LOL. It is amazing how much fun they are, and you don’t even need a big one to get lots of enjoyment out of it. Come on…you know you want one ;-)

Okay, I posted a pic of my shubunkin goldfish begging for food on one of the previous threads (Jessica called him Eeyore) …here’s my other goldfish looking totally pathetic. I was sitting outside and talking on the phone today, and they both kept begging and begging until I went and got them their breakfast.

Thumbnail by sunnyg
Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

Hiya Sunny ;o) Glad somebody likes me *doing the happy dance*

I will definately let Sunnyone and Sunnytwo know that their godmother (I've deemed you the godmother) says "Hello". Bummer about your brugie babies getting wormy guys all over them so quick. I hope that doesn't happen to mine. I've actually been real lucky *knock on wood* so far with everything I've planted this year. No pests at all. Okay so I see a catapiller every now and then, but I can't bring myself to kill them, I just pull them off and toss them over the fence ;o)

I wrote a letter to my HOA today regarding removing all those bushes out in front of my house. I'm having a fellow "nut", by the name of AnjL, go over the letter for me first before I send it off on Monday. So I need everyone to say a special prayer to the plants gods that the HOA approves it. Oh it will be a happy happy day if I can rip all those things out!!

Santee, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh my gosh Sunny, you're fishies do look like they haven't EVER been fed!!! You bad Mommy...hee hee hee It's all in the eyes, like puppies eyes.

LOL aren’t they funny fish? I feed them as much as they can eat in two minutes on a daily basis, I promise ;-) I have several goofy fish mealtime pics…I’ll try and find them and post them. I’m not sure what these tiny worms on the brugs are, but they were on the peppers and sunflowers at one point and didn’t do too much damage, so I’m hoping the same goes for my new brugs.

Fingers crossed on your bush removal! That’s great that Anjl is going to go over it with you. The seed nuts are a force to be reckoned with…watch out HOA ;-).

breakfast time!

Thumbnail by sunnyg

Where are all my fellow insomniacs? ;-) I’m going to try and call it a night, but I’ve been browsing around on DG and found this link to keyhole gardening…very neat stuff! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjcjCCx3BWY&feature=related

hey ya'll, can't sleep again...I was exhausted, went to bed and nada.
One thought on feeding the baby birds....If you're using a syringe or dropper, be sure it's pointed the the left of the "crop"...otherwise, they can aspirate and die. I have raised several clutches of cockatiels as well as a quaker parrot. It's so much fun to do..
Nannie, I was gonna surprise you, but I think you had a problem with the p.o., or maybe it wasn't you, but I'm gonna send you another Lucy leaf. Just tell me the best time to send it out, if indeed, you do have issues with the p.o.
Lissa, best of luck with the HOA....I have faith in you, girl...you know that!!
Lorraine, I was going thru old dmails at work tonight and was reminded that I sent you a bubble envie long ago (not really that long, huh), and you never filled it to the top!!! That's ok, but if you'll send me an EE, I'll send you extra postage, if necessary. I think they are so pretty. What kind of soil do they prefer? I know they like moisture, but rich soil, mediocre soil or what? Seems like you've become the EE chick... I'll send you some cuttings if I have anything you like.
Baby Girl, if you need seeds, you know I'll send you some for your project...anything I have is yours...
Do you have a subscription to Garden Gate Mag? Do any of you gals? I just love that magazine...
Well, today was the 7th anniversary of Lucy's death. I dealt with it pretty well. Some days are diamonds, some days are stones as the song goes...
I was by myself tonight at work for the 1st time. I was a little nervous, but all went well.
Tomorrow I have to have someone look at the hotwater heater. Keep your fingers crossed that it's only the element or something not too expensive. Their is no water on the basement floor and I think that's a good sign. I've also gotta mow the lawn, clean the pig pen, do groceries, and pull weeds with my new fangled gloves which I love so much!
Lissa, do you still need seed froffies? I plan to go to the new Home Depot sometime tomorrow. Sounds like a full day, huh? 'Specially if I don't get up till noon or later..
Hope you are all well....I haven't read all the posts thoroughly, so there is a good chance I missed something. Even if I had read them carefully, there's still that chance I may have missed something...
nannie, what kind of car did you get? You're like me. I got my little Maxima almost 4 years ago. It is a 96, but it was new to me and I still love it.
Nite to you nuts...certifiable and otherwise lol

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

It's dangerous to move around on here. You'll end up sitting for hours. I spent an hour last night reading a thread from 2004 about slugs. !! Now that is boredom!!!

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Ok Anna, I've slept since then I guess, so was I supposed to send back a bubble with seeds and I didn't? I'm not surprised if I didn't. lol Let me know, and I'll send one now

The ee's probable could grow in any soil, but I've got them in pretty rich stuff, compost, mulch, you know. Anything your other stuff grows in. They do need shade tho. Full sun, not so good. I've got some that are in sun for a good while and they are fine, but shade is usually best. And closer to water the better. My DIL has some growing in her pond. But I put some in a spot close to a faucett that had a leak and it died, so I guess they have a mind of their own.

Your poor plant isn't gonna have any leaves left!!! It's so weird the way those grow!

Actually Lorraine, it is shooting out new shiny leaves. Seems that the mama leaf has some kind of "veiney" things running horizontially, and from those veins a new leaf emerges. If I can remember I'll get a picture tomorrow, well, today, so you can see. My camera is only 4 megapixals, so I can't get real close, but maybe you can see.
I was just teasing about the envie. I had totally forgotten all about it. I think our minds are about the same. I wasn't fishing for seeds, just ee's....I do have a big tree in the backyard and some other shady areas where I think they'll do just fine. Question, do the deer like them as an entree, or a salad? Or maybe if I'm lucky, not at all. Let me see if I can post before and after pics of my violas that they demolished. Let's see here, how do you do this? Before....

Thumbnail by ginpan

and after

Thumbnail by ginpan

Karen - If there is enough interest ... I'd love to be included in a pressure cooker and canning class! Thanks for offering!

Sunny - Your pond is AWESOME!!! I want one ... NOW!!! I gotta wait. Low on garden funds. :-(
Cute fishes! They are goldfish right? I am afraid to put fish in my water containers because of some of the species of birds here that like critters that live in water. They would destroy my container plants! I have gobs of tadpoles though ...

Also, I loved that video about keyhole gardening! I sponsor a girl from Rwanda and I always enjoy videos about what some of the people are doing over there! Neat way to create a garden!

Melissa - Good luck with the HOA tomorrow!

AR - Thanks for the info about the left crop of the bird. I keep trying to remember that!
I subscribe to Garden Gate and LOVE that magazine! It has given me so many ideas! Good luck with the water heater being something affordable when you get it fixed. It's always something, isn't it?

The bird made it through the night and was hungry at sunrise! I fed it and it is sleeping again. I saw mama bird out there in the tree it is hanging from. But still not feeding her baby. She is definitely looking at the baby though. I just don't get it? Why aren't parents taking care of it??? Grrr ... Anyway, it has survived another day. Now to make some phone calls. I may have to bribe my daughter into feeding it tomorrow until I get home if none of the wildlife places don't want to take it in. I am not going to let it starve to death here!

One way to confuse a man is to move the furniture!

If this is the same group, I just stumbled over the footstool!

Potagere

Thumbnail by Potagere
Joey in Conroe, TX(Zone 8b)

OMG!! You people are impossible to keep up with (eeeew on my sentance structure LOL) Wow!!!
Had a hugely busy 4th, and then suffered from some stuffed jalepenos the next day LOL

What are you feeding the little cardinal? Seed eaters have a different diet than insectivores. But if you have kept it alive this long I'm sure you are doing ok. A few tips...
You don't have to feed them at night. Up until dusk is fine. You can feed every hour once the baby has gained it's strength. Momma birds feed every 15 minutes, but you are giving them more food each time so it works out. Even though the cardinal is a seed eater, small amounts of boiled egg yolk, lean ground beef, cut up mealworms (petco, petsmart) or even lean dog food soaked really well in warm water is good too. Cut up and mashed cherries, bananas, raisins, grapes, apple scrapings, and even a tiny bit of peanut butter is good too. Only give the PB a couple of times a day though. Baby food is pretty good, but remember most of it has a lot of sugar. Be sure to offer a few drops of lukewarm water or milk at EACH feeding. Don't squirt it down baby's throat, just drip a drop into their mouth. Oh and as far as bedding, toilet paper or kleenex is the best. They can't get tangled in it and overheat and strangle. Towles are hard on their little toe nails, so they are a no no. The hardest part comes when its time for them to go. I had a little robin imprint on me. I didn't think that little bird would ever leave the nest LOL.
Dmail me if you have any more questions. I have rehabbed dozens of birds and critters.

Welcome to out expatriot male member. Very nice to meet you and your kitties. Love to hear about gardens in other countries.

Sunny you and your fish amaze me. I just love the pics of your pond! I need to make you a little sign for those poor littl dears "Will Look pitiful for food" LOL. Speaking of food, that monster sunflower is a little frightening. Looks like it ate a pixie! Maybe need to adjust the fertiliizer...perhaps it would like some bone meal?!
Sadly the deer just won't leave mine alone, they have eaten all my caladuims, my angel wing begonias, my oxalis, my peruvian lilies and hostas. Pretty much every thing in my one bed. I even noticed they are going for the hibiscus that are right up next to the frint porch! I guess since the people across the street have started keeping their pit bulls tied up, the deer are invading. At least I don't have to worry about them eating Zeke (I hope!!)

Anjl your yard is amazing! I wish my place was that lush! I have to work on my sand y soil before I see that much improvement I guess. this sand just seems to swaloow any amendments I add. I was so happy to have this soil since I used to have clay, but i'm beginning to see the clay had its advantages!

Karen I love your Bostons! They are my most favorite small breed!!! I had a rescue pit bull one time that I named Gunny (after my dad) when we got him he only understood Spanish LOL. but he was huge!!! About 95 pounds, anyway his markings were a lot like a typical Boston, and we had a tiny little feisty Boston next door. He would bark and growl and snap and harrass Gunny to no end. The big guy would just look at me like "You are kidding right?" Thye became fast friends, thank goodness, and Beetle (the Boston) would go around the neighborhoos picking fights and run back to our yard with dogs on his heels. He would run behind Gunny, and I swear he would stick his tongue out and do a nanananana you can't get me, it was a riot!!

AR the Lucy leaf is doing fine. Not seeing ant signs of growth yet, but she is not drooping or looking bad in any way. I know there is something stirring under there!! I'm glad you made it through yesterday ok. Just keeping the good memeories alive helps! (((hugs)))

OK if I missed anyone, give me an hour or so to read the rest of the stuff y'all wrote LOL.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't think deer bother them. There used to be deer out here, but I think most are gone now. There were several hundred acres they could roam on, but people are building houses out here now, et

I don't know a lot of bugs that bother them, but there are some kind of something that will eat on the leaves sometimes. And they leaves will kind of turn brown around those places. I've just put sevin dust on them and they seem to do ok.

If a human is around a baby bird, won't the mother refuse to feed it. I just know my dad always told me not to touch the eggs cause the mom would go away and leave them.? Old wives tale?

Jo jo, I know you are gonna have a heart attack, so I didn't want to mention it, but did the envy get in the mail. If it did, just wanted you to know it's not here and wanted to jump the mail lady tomorrow, see where she hid it, since we are in a feud. Now, remember, I said DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!!!

I'm sending a couple pictures of my baby EE. Here is the illustrius.
Not a good angle, but maybe you can see what it looks like.

Thumbnail by LorraineR

Anna Ruth, I’m glad you got through yesterday pretty well (((hugs))). Your poor violas :-(. Your seeds are on their way…

LOL on the moving furniture, Potagere. Great pic of your koi! Looks like your pond is pretty big? I don’t dare get koi because my ponds are so small, but I do love admiring them.

Karen, I’d be interested in reading about canning if there is enough interest, but I can’t put it into practice right now as I am a walking disaster these days…so I try and stay away from sharp objects and high heat as much as possible ;-) LOL.

Becky, I’m so happy to hear your little bird made it through the night! What a bummer about your aggressive birds, since fish really are so much fun. I hope you’re able to put in your pond soon! How are all your waterlilies and lotus? I’m really glad you like my pond progress…the new one is still unfinished and looking a bit stark, but it’ll turn into a jungle in no time ;-). Yep, my begging fish are goldfish…one is a shubunkin and one is a…??(feeder goldfish). I am really looking forward to getting fish for the new pond. We are going to get shubunkins again as soon as the pond “matures.”

Joey, ugh, sorry to hear the stuffed jalapenos got to you, but glad you’re feeling better now. I’m so glad you like the pond pics…I am having a lot of fun taking all the photos! Doesn’t that mutant sunflower look like it just gobbled something up and is still digesting the legs? I almost expect it to let out a loud belch any second. I think you’re right and I need to feed that sunflower some bonemeal or perhaps bloodmeal ;-) Warning to all sunflower swap participants: I included some of those seeds in my swap package, so watch out…you could be next! LOL.

Lorraine, your baby EE is so cute! Mine are in the ponds, but don’t seem to be appreciating being in full sun all the recent record-breaking heat (shade plant, I know, I know ;-)).

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

My dil has some in a pond and it's in full sun. They do ok there, so I don't know if that's the problem. I don't think the ones in water get as big as the others. Buttttt

Ok, here is Mickey Mouse

Thumbnail by LorraineR

Awww mickey is so cute Lorraine! Usually mine do okay in the pond, but the ‘black magic’ and black stemmed don’t seem to like that really intense light on them (dark leaves and 106 degrees don’t go well together I guess) and they got a bit scorched. The new growth looks okay, so I’m hoping that’s the only problem. I am hoping that mine don’t get as big as your monsters, and am keeping them in small pots in an attempt to stunt their growth…we’ll see LOL.

Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

Poor babies. Stunking their growth.!!! Here's one more, since you know what black magic looks like I'll just show my Hilo Bold.

And I think you are right about the sun and the black ones. My son has one in a spot that is shade all day, and mine gets some sun. His are lots blacker.

Thumbnail by LorraineR
Gilmer, TX(Zone 8a)

I told you, it's Sunny and the sunflower stalk. So, climb up there and look for that gold. Well, if the sunflower doesn't eat you on the way up. The big old red one I have watches me as I walk by with an evil grin. I know he's waiting for his chance!!!

I need ya'll to tell me what to do in a spot that looks really bad. There are flower beds around it, but there is one really small area between two trees and around another flower bed, etc. that is rocks and clay. I thought about a walkway, but not big enough, plus it would be the walk way to no where. Here is a picture of the spot, (DON'T DARE LAUGH) what do you think. I am enlarging the one bed around that one tree, but still it will be a mess. Grass can't grow there See at the bottom all the dirt, it's like that all around there.

This message was edited Jul 6, 2008 2:12 PM

Thumbnail by LorraineR

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.