Fruit dropping off young Satsuma Orange trees

Columbia, SC

We bought two small (3 ft) satsuma orange trees from a local grower and planted them in April in large terra cotta pots.
The foliage seems nice and green and they are getting sufficient water, full sun for a good part of the day. They each produced small orange fruits, but these are dropping off it seems.
A Meyer Lemon planted in the ground not far from the organge trees are doing just fine and are full of small green fruits.
I welcome your advice.

--Don

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

They do self prune but that should have happened a long time ago. Had they already flowered by the time you bought them? Another strange thing is that they are orange. They should be green right now. They don't turn orange till the fall. You sure about them getting enough water? They usually grow in three flushes which mine are putting out leaves right now. If your plant is putting out new growth it will need more water.

Columbia, SC

Sorry, I meant that they produced small green "oranges" and then they dropped off. I have an automatic irrigation system with a drip tube to each plant, and I don't see any sign of under or over watering.
Friends of ours have similar problems with their Meyer Lemons; the fruit falls off early in the season. Ours is loaded with green lemons right now. I wish my orange trees were!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.