Show your favorite annual that is really "taking off" now!!

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Rosie,

I needed that "femme fatale" pic of Nigella to get me laughing this morning! Last night I had an allergic reaction to heart meds (new for me!) that was HIVES! My lips are swollen so much I almost cracked them laughing at that pic!!

(Rosie) Belturbet, Ireland

LOL Connie - Don't want you to think that I wear a get up like this in the kitchen. What's a dress look like anyway? I only ever wear jeans these days. Sorry about the meds Connie - hope you feel better soon.

:-))

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Connie, Our impatiens always make mounds. Never have to prune them or do much of anything to them. They are a trouble free winter annual here. They rot in ground in the heat of summer, but, will survive in containers.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Wow...how hot does it get there? I've had mine here all summer....most days over 100 a bit...and no rotting. They are still gorgeous. Of course our winters in the 40's and sometimes 30's kill them.... :-( This pic was taken in July, but they are now twice this size, but still don't have the perfect symmetry that yours do! What fertilizer do y'all use?

Thumbnail by Connie_G
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I now realize that when DH and I visit Naples every year around March, your huge plants are in the middle of their WINTER flowering. I never realized that. So what is planted in those spaces in the hot summer?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I was hoping to hear that convuvulus could take some shade.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Connie, we plant coleus or begonia, usually.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I like the coleus, you can do alot with mixed colors.....

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Or just a single outstanding color....

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I used to think coleus were boring, blotchy-colored plants. But look at them now! I definitely want coleaus next year. Thank you for these lovely pictures.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Betty, the breeders and collectors have advanced the color selection.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

Nice shots Dale; I've some pretty fair coleus stands now too, this one is named 'Glennis' or something close to that:

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

My current favorite (it's name I don't know).

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

another:

Thumbnail by jmorth
Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I think this one's name has 'volcano' in it.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jmorth, lots of folks have to know the varietal name, I am content with the color as a name....

I can go with -- it is pink>

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Very pretty, everybody. There is a college down the street that should be called It's Only an Annual College - they use EVERYTHING, from daffodils, through tulips, begonias, impatiens and now mums with kale as annuals! I keep hoping I'll catch them on the day they're swapping out the daffodils for tulips and say "before you throw those away, mind if I take 20 or 30 home with me?" The begonias would have done me for another month or so, too!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.