Strange happenings

I've lived in the same flat for 7 years and while it happens no longer I wonder if anyone has an explaination for this. The houses back onto woodland and we have a wealth of bird life and lord knows how many moths.

After living here for 8 months I began to hear a loud rapping which woke me at 7 am every morning. I live on the top floor of a house shaped place and first thought it was someone knocking the door for fun. I realised after a few times of this happening that it was my bedroom window that was being knocked. Every time I opened the curtains nothing was there.

One morning a few weeks into this, I got up at 5am and decided to wash the curtains. A loud rapping on the panes came as usual at 7am. A huge raven sat outside and stared at me for ages. It was quite unnerving at first but I got used to it and sometimes he would come round to stare at me through the front room window during the day too.

This happened for 8 months of ever year for 5 years. I tried to put food out on the outside sill but he never took it. I haven't heard him for 2 years now and I guess he has died. I'll never forget the image of that raven who seemed as interested in watching me as I was of him.

I looked up on the birds and found that all corvid birds are incredibly intelligent problem solvers but never did find the answer as to why I had my own personal raven alarm clock.

Any ideas?

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

First thing that comes to mind is creepy!!!! The next thing was Wuthering Heights - don't know why. Perhaps the association of something knocking at the window. I like this story but bothered that maybe the raven wanted something out of the room. Maybe it was being renovated or painted or something and the window left open. He might have been flitting in and out doing his thing or hidden something in the room........yea, I know.....I have a vivid imagination...lol! Great tale Baa!

LOL Louisa

Well the windows would be fully open and he never came in. He wasn't afraid of me I could approach the window and sit right next to him, he just watched me. Weird I know.

Oh Baa,that's a wonderful story'I know
animals have reasons for behaving as we
humans also have'When young and on the
farm,naturally outside playing alot,I
always whistled,still do,lol and talked
to them,still do'That's before the
Doolittle whatever' I named this one
raven and would call him every day,any
time and he'd come to visit me'He'd swope
down from the trees,such a large wingspan
and land on my head or shoulder' I started
hand feeding him too' One day a week was
his "special day" His bath,lol' I took a
big wash pan with water,call him and"whoosh"
here he came''No I didn't wash him but
we'd laugh while he bathed,lol'No Baa it's
not "weird" just he knew you wouldn't hurt
him''

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Love these stories. I'm pretty crazy about birds and never tire of their antics and could (do) listen to their song all day long. Still need to identify the ones in my garden and feel badly that I spend such a long time on DG. Talk about mis-spent youth! Mis-spent middle age more like....lol!! Seriously I am going to try and force myself away from here and limit myself to maybe twice a week :-) Fat chance!!

Here's another Louisa' Our children "must"
learn and use "bird calls" here in school'
It is required''
Our youngest is now 28 and lives in Tn' He
doesn't have any children yet but still
has fun teaching kids the calls'Lol
Don't do that Louisa,limit yourself''No fun'

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Cool school that. Wish I could attend something like that now :-). My grandkids live on the outskirts of Chicago and it's nearly all city life for them, and parties etc. Although to be fair my grandson is into rocks and dinosaurs at age 6. And he loves to fish when he visits us. But I always think city kids miss so much, don't you. Heck, the chat room is open, almost forgot.

Geology,another of my forte's.I used to
gather,grade and make Jewelry,and other
items from "rocks" Lapidary''
Yes,Louisa,the city doesn't offer much
for kids,just the street life or tv'

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.