Sap oozing out of peach tree trunk

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I planted a Sam Houston peach tree last year. It is now about 6 ft tall and has a trunk diameter about 2". I noticed it has thick sap coming out the trunk in several places. This spring it never did have many blooms and produced 1 small peach. I have raised peach trees before but have never had one to ooze sap. Any suggestions or comments? thanks
Susie

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Thank you so much for this information. I now know what I need to do.
Susie

Baltimore, MD

Peach trees also ooze sap when they get physically injured or due to bacterial canker. Take a coat hanger and poke around for a hole; if you have a hole it is a borer. If there is no hole and the sap is clear it is likely physical damage. If there is no hole and the sap is cloudy you probably have bacterial canker.

Scott

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

If you have a hole, poke that wire in there to kill borer. Then squirt some lime sulfer in hole.

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Okay, now I am off to investigate whether a borer or bacterial canker. I really do appreciate all this info from knowlegeable gardeners...............
Susie

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Suzie2, how is your peach tree now? Did you find out for sure if it was borers or bact. canker? Several of mine have similar problem and look weak. Not sure if borers or not, but think it is. I put some moth balls around the trunks and sprayed with something suppossed to work on borers, but do not think it really does anything to them in the boring stage. I will try dormant oil again this year as I did last year, but thought that was suppossed to kill them. Thanks, Mike

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

I had this problem about 5 years ago. It was clear sap. I called my extension agent and he said it was a borer and the tree was going to die and there was no help for it.

I read somewhere that a good preventive was to put a bar of Lava soap in the crotch. So I did and hoped for the best. The tree survived and has had normal crops. The soap lasted for more than 2 years and I haven't had anymore problems. I think the idea is that rain washes the soap down around the trunk where the eggs are usually laid and that the bug doesn't like it.

Brazoria, TX(Zone 9b)

It was borers and it finally died. Now I need to know if it will affect any new trees I decide to plant in the same place. I have another peach that I would like to plant but hesitate to plant it in the same area. Anyone know if it would be safe to or not?
Susie

Argyle, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the lava suggestion twiggy.
Good question Susie, someone knowledgeable will surely answer. I would think it might be okay if you (1) sprayed the ground area after planting, (2) bury mothballs 2 inches away from trunk (check other links for amount) (3) if bareroot trees, treat the roots before planting spray somthing for the adult stage at the appropriate time (may be now in your zone?, September in mine), try the lava soap, and spray dormant oil at the appropriate times.
Research my information as this is all second hand information as I am no expert, or wait for the experienced gardeners to answer. Hope all goes well, Mike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.