SECURITY CONCERNS

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Time and time again I see friends making friends. When the comfort zone is evident trust leads to careless discussion of absence from our homes. Your travels and consequently absence from your homes should be limited to E mail and then only with known friends.

Please prompt yourselves to stop short of showing your absences from your homes. Please do not make yourselves an easy hit by anyone that would know it takes twenty minutes to go for groceries and just five to lift your brand new hundred buck foundation planting.

I made a mistake not long ago showing my grandson in a photo. Please think of the consequences of publishing your locations, names and valued treasures without knowing there is proven risk everywhere. Your forum photos without specific location data are safe in my opinion.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Doc, I took your advise, took me a while to change it but got it done.
Thanks.

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Your right Doc, It can be a real issue as we quite often feel at home here like we are just talking to friends. But we do quite often put a lot of personal info out here.
I quite often talk about upcoming trips and mine are quite long trips. I probably feel fairly secure because I have someone live at my house while I travel. But in discussing my trips I don't always make that clear that the house will not be empty even though Ric and I will be gone.
I also post a few pics of the grandchildren or mention them and I have thought about that as well. Since they are grandchildren and do not live in my home I have felt somewhat secure in the fact that their homes are not known. But in this day and age of information technology that is not always a given. You have brought up a very important issue.

Mineral, VA

I agree with this but isn't it sad it has to be this way.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Good to consider. I am 'out' of the address exchange now~~of course you Mid atlantic people won't think I'm snotty for that.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

YEP IT IS SAD...............When I was very young I was instructed by mom not to mess with a mark that was on the sidewalk to our house. This was a "tramps mark". It was a sign of good news to other tramps. Every so often one would stop and want to work for his keep. Two or three would show up and help with the large post depression garden. They slept in the barn, drank raw milk picked our eggs, and were most trusted extensions of our family.
On a real special day dad would tell them to roast a red rooster. We had Rhode Ilsand Reds. Never was one stolen. Our doors did not even have locks in them. Never did until about 1950 when we moved into town. As work opportunities grew the tramps became less frequent. One taught dad how to play a game, others pitched horseshoes and threw knives and axes to amuse the kids and torment the mothers. Mom would make them an apple pie and sing christian songs with them when they were invited to the back porch for ice cream and apple pie.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

Doc sweet stories of days gone by and great words of wisdom to heed...
I too, dropped my info from the addy exchange last week - last year changed where it sad I was from to a more generic description...and of course I enjoy posting pictures of the 3 that watch the house whether I'm here or not...

This message was edited Jul 3, 2008 11:11 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell

That's all you nee d to post to ensure your total security Chantell! THose 'vicious ' beasts.
We have heard our Shepard's' who the heck are you' bark and it will do the trick.

Yes doc- it would be good in many ways if we could go back.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

We do have a little bit more security here in that this forum is only visible to paid members. But this is precisely why I never posted anything in the roll call thread.

Ok, let me say that even tho I have removed my info, I still feel like its a thousands to one chance that anything bad would ever come of it. And maybe someday somebody would have surprised me with a birthday card or something if I left it in.

But--anybody coming to my house (when anybody is home) would find the computer turned on and without any passwords could go thru all my DavesGarden . OK, so it would take some time and malice of forethought to say-" hmm let's find an address or phone and make a crank call-"
But I once got a crank call- must have taken my DH name and number from the book, could be the wrong XX XXX that they were trying to call, but it was very disturbing and could have been more so i f it wasn't readily disprovable.

But I'll end with humor--we were just looking at a website that gives you a discount card (restaurnats etc) and you go back to the site and print coupons DH had to go look up his password, and of course he had to use a totally new password---AS IF we have to be worried about somebody breaking in and printing discount coupons????? HA HA HA now we are really going too far!

This message was edited Jul 5, 2008 12:25 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.