Dive Pics

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Huh? Sorry Mola, I don't understand.

The curved 'thingie' in the upper left hand corner is a living coral. Then there's the rays of the Lionfish's fins. All the rest of the things you see are not coral or much but algae and stuff that grows on dead coral.

Bad subject, sorry.

(edit: I'll do a quick sketch of what this photo ought to show, and post it tomorrow. OK)

This message was edited Aug 31, 2008 6:09 PM

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Sorry. My pics are no where near as great as John's. I'll butt out.

Yokwe,
Shari

Whoa! I did not mean that at all! His photos are what's popular, a close-up of something.

I'm just a grouch when it comes to all that we've lost.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Mola, my pics may not be what's popular, but I generally try to post things that I think others may be interested in. Since I live in the world's largest lagoon, I have plenty to show. If you want pictures of live coral, I could give you hundreds. I posted the pic above because of the discussion of lionfish, not as an example of a good picture. I appologize for giving the wrong impression. Maybe this will help:

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Ohno Shari. don't stop. I am just now hoping you and John will be back on for good. Without the two of you , I probaby would have given up DG in the very beginning.

Yay, Christi!

I just looked at another place full of discussion, not gardening, and they are mis-understanding each other there, and explaining themselves. So it's just in the air tonight.

Shari, what I appreciate about your Lionfish photo is the way it shows their behavior. Them I saw in Thailand were mostly hiding. I wonder if they're behaving like that here in the Caribbean? Tho' I don't want to see.

So let's all post photos and don't get all insulted, please!!!!!

I take worse photos than anyone! hahaha! I love scenery. Here's a place I go often, camera's eye at about 110 feet depth. Visibility is around 100 feet. The drop-off to thousands of feet deep is to the right, as if you can't tell. North east of St Croix, about twenty miles, there's an area that's nearly three miles deep! over 13,000 feet deep. Wowee, I'd love to go look and see what's there.

Thumbnail by
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Well for some reason my pic didn't got through. I'll try again.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hope you guys didn't all stop posting cuz of me! John, I sure hope everyone is okay down Cayman way...I hate hurricane season!!!! Looking forward to more of your pictures!

Maybe these guys can help convince you to post some more...look closely - there is more here than first glance will show!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

So glad you are doing this. I think I found four different kinds of fishies besides all of the wonderful coral. The round formations on the lower left, is that coral?

Been missing my friend.

Christi

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hello darlin! Sure hope you are feeling better! Yep, that is coral. Good girl! 4 types of fish...an anemone, a cushion star, and different types of coral.

The guys went diving up the reef aways on this shipwreck of the Palawan. Here is a shot of the wheel...these guys all have to get their picture taken at the wheel...boys and their toys!

Yokwe,
Shari

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

How else could they prove they had been there? If I was there, I would turn around and show my face. Gettin' kind of stir crazy. Not good enough to go somewhere but tired of these walls. More pictures, please.

Christi

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I sure understand the stir crazy...I get that way if its just rainy for 2 days in a row!

They do show their faces eventually....

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

This area is a forest of black coral. Unfortunately, it is hard to see how beautiful this is in a picture, but this might give you an idea:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Also found in this area are these spotted garden eels. John knows just how tough it is to get a close picture of these guys...very very shy. As soon as you get near, they zoom back into their holes faster than a blink. This was taken from quite a distance away with a zoom lens just to give a feel for the field. A wider shot would show hundreds of these guys, but you wouldn't be able to see them.

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

The ship itself is home to thousands of fish and lots of other sea life:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Here you see some sponges growing on the coral which is growing on the ship! Where there is a will, there is a way!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Of course all this life, brings out the predators as well:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

here comes his buddy:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Many people don't realize that sharks work in tandem...herding their food to where they want to dine. You will need to look closely, both sharks are working this scool of fish into the blue plate special:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Moving down the reef a few miles to another favorite diving spot: Troy's coral head...always lots of beautiful fish to photograph and play with:

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

must be dinner time here as well!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Oh ho! Somebody else is coming to the party!

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

And here is my last picture for today...the party crasher in a nose dive...

Hope you enjoyed this little excursion into Kwajalein lagoon.

Yokwe,
Shari

Thumbnail by Islandshari
Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Enjoy is an understatement. Did not realize just how much I have missed the world under the sea. Are these JB's excursions? Doesn't really matter as it thrills my soul anyway. Anytime you want to upload this world, we are here waiting.

Love you a lot.

PK

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Yep, these are JB's. He took some visiting doctors out for a few dives in what little free time they had. One of his favorite things to do - show off his beautiful underwater home. I'm so glad you are feeling up to sitting at the pooter for a while! And if I can send a little underwater scenery your way, I'm happy to oblige.

Love you back!
Shari

It's a shame your Island is restricted. I've always wanted to visit. There was a fellow who posted on Scubadiving's forum from Kwaj calling himself "TJ". But he had to leave the island for his social mistakes.

Shari, you must get very lonely at times in such a small community. Thanks for the photos!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Knowing Shari, I doubt she is ever lonely or bored. She has an uncanny intellect. Wish she would join the articles group again.

Yes, she did say she had a Royal Poinsienna blooming in two yeaars? A greeeeeen thumb, also.

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi folks, you are too kind Looocy! I haven't left the writer's forum yet, I just haven't written anything in a long while.

As for getting lonely...completely and totally impossible. We are small, no argument there, but when you know practically every member of a 1300 -1500 population, how can you possibly get lonely. Think about it. Do you know 1200 of your neighbors? Nearly always a party for a birthday, anniversary, or something! That, plus my youngest daughter, her husband and my granddaughter live out here; I do volunteer work at the library, I help run our Micronesian handicraft shop (a really big deal - I assure you); I am the Hospitality Chairman for our local Women's Club and I am the Tour Guide for newcomers and visiting VIP's (battlefield tours and historical tours or a combination) - a day of lonely would be a welcome respite at times! Ha Ha.

I don't know what the Scubadiving Forum is...is that part of DG???? - but we have a friend called TJ that used to work out here. But he didn't leave because of social mistakes. However we do know a few folks who did leave under that cloud. It is a sad thing when it happens usually. And a lot depends on the temperment of the sitting commander.

As far as being restricted...yes, it is. However if someone sponsors you then it isn't difficult to get out here...just incredibly expensive. Guess the air fare is high, cuz there sure isn't much to spend your money on once you get here! Ha Ha.

Boy, I sure can blather on and on can't I? Sorry bout that. John Darlin!!!! Post some pics!

Yokwe,
Shari

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

You are sooooo special. Haven't told you that lately. Sure wish there weren't so many miles. Thank goodness for cyberspace.

LouC aka Princess Kilikina

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I too wish there weren't so many miles PK. But I must disagree about the special. Special are all the mothers that came to my friend's rescue when she had her baby 5 weeks early so couldn't go home to all the showers and gifts that her family had planned. She had nothing! The mom's here on island heard the call and she now has every thing she could possibly need, plus I had 10 or more helping me set up the house they hadn't yet moved into, and more meal volunteers than you would ever need. This island is filled with special people who take care of each other and everyone else. I am constantly humbled by the goodness around me.

Sending you a cyber hug...share with Mike.

Yokwe,
S

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

*read message above* Some people are so special that they don't even see themselves.

london England, United Kingdom

Happy Birthday Caribblue, Have a good one!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Happy Birthday!!!

Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

One day later, but the best wishes for you, Carriblue! I hope you had a wonderful birthday, and waiting for more beautiful pictures form you!
Hugs,
Alexandra

Thumbnail by goofybulb
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Happy Belated Birthday, John! Hope you and your sweetie had a good day!

West Bay, Cayman Islands(Zone 11)

Thanks everyone for the birthday wishes! I had a great time visiting my mom and sister in Oklahoma! Had a party, walked the woods....shot deer (with a Nikon of course!) really had a time....It was sad to leave there but had to come home and get back to work....I flew back in last night and this morning I'm not feeling like going to work....oh well, needs to be done....spent all my money on plates and have to refill the coffers!!!

thanks again,
john

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.